Sign in to follow this  
RustyAce

Snow leopard

you used to be able to pause the movie and drag a still from QT into an open canvas in PS does that still work?

I don't think so. That's why I was asking about other ways. I think someone said you can't do that anymore.

Guest Sao_Bento

you used to be able to pause the movie and drag a still from QT into an open canvas in PS does that still work?

Nope, that's what the thread is about.

Guest Sao_Bento

Anyone had any issues with helvetica neue freaking out? It's shot to the bottom of font lists in illustrator etc and is acting quite weird (like dropping punctuation marks here and there on export to pdf. I read something about conflicting versions? odd

I know I opened Keynote yesterday, and the default fonts were all scrambled - that was Gill Sans though.

Is this from experience or do you have a link to something about it? Hopefully Sony will update the Transfer Utility with a fix. I'm assuming you can still drag the BPAV folders off the SxS cards but it sounds like you can't transcode to QuickTime files. Is that right? That is the primary purpose of my MBP and I was hoping to upgrade soon since it's only $30.

The info I saw on the Creative Cow XDCAM EX forum indicated that putting an SxS card into the Expresscard slot of an MBP with Snow Leopard causes a kernel panic every time. Someone posted a link to an updated driver outside of the USA last week. There have been inconsistent reports on XDCAM Transfer and Clip Browser software.

Here's what Apple's site says.

Cf

Nope. Stuck with saving frames from AE or your NLE at this point. Alternately, you can import the video into PSCS4 and get a frame that way, I guess.

Thanks man. Typical Apple...removing functionality that has been there for years for no good reason.

I bet it has to do with some iPhone/iTunes/iChat/iPhoto/iCrap consumer agenda.

Oh well, I'll wait till the .3 update before installing, as usual...

Guest Sao_Bento

Thanks man. Typical Apple...removing functionality that has been there for years for no good reason.

I bet it has to do with some iPhone/iTunes/iChat/iPhoto/iCrap consumer agenda.

Oh well, I'll wait till the .3 update before installing, as usual...

It's just their shift in focus from the print/video pros to the iPhone customers. They don't need all that confusing and complicated crap. I'm sure the attitude is "that's what Compressor is for".

Guest Sao_Bento

Did I mention that you have to force quit Adobe Bridge 9 times out of 10 under Snow Leopard??

Maybe all the freezing has something to do with the snow.

I got fed-up with Quicktime X putting it's controls over the first few seconds of my movies. So I did Command-I on a .mov and changed the 'open with' to Quicktime 7. That works fine unless you hit the 'Change All' button and try to make all .movs, when you get the 'Are you sure you want to change all Quicktime Player documents to open with Quicktime Player?' Hit yes (or whatever), whereupon the OS ignores your request and reverts back to Quicktime X's 'Quicktime Player Launcher' - thanks Apple.

In frustration I trashed the Quicktime X application. That screwed things up even further to begin with as .mov's launched the 'Quicktime Player Launcher' background process, but failed to find and launch the application itself. So nothing happened, at least with newly rendered QT's. Old QT's created prior to SL install now open with QT7.

One good thing is that I can now drag frames out of QT7 onto a Photoshop document, or the desktop. Although obviously not from QT X. Or was Sao only talking about QT X..?

I wish Apple would fix that file permissions thing so you can actually control the ownership of files properly. Maybe I'll try and find a command line method.

Guest Sao_Bento

Did you guys upgrade or do you have a fresh install?

Mine was an upgrade. It actually seems like the full install is linked to the more serious problems.

Fresh install. I got random freezes or explicit kernel panics like one or twice a day. When I open the console I can't figure what's causing this. Maybe flash, maybe system events, i dunno.

Nothing fancy installed. That's not good.

Is this from experience or do you have a link to something about it? Hopefully Sony will update the Transfer Utility with a fix. I'm assuming you can still drag the BPAV folders off the SxS cards but it sounds like you can't transcode to QuickTime files. Is that right? That is the primary purpose of my MBP and I was hoping to upgrade soon since it's only $30.

http://www.sony.ca/promedia/drivers.htm

Tested during production for a large format project. It really save the day for me.

I dont own Final Cut , but i guess for the type of work we were doing i just needed my footage to be HD, i was lucky to grab my clips and put them in an AE timeline and convert them onto something i could use otherwise i will not have finish the job on time.

But at the end it did work. :)

Edgard

EDIT:I guess Final Cut will be the way to transcode my footage thru the Log and Transfer but i dont have FC. I did try it with Premiere but it was so freaking slow. Although you could import you Premiere TImeline into AE and go from there but Premiere disappointed me one more time.

Edited by Edgard

Just thought I'd bump this up again, because I finally found a solution for getting new .mov's to open in QT 7 by default. You need to trash both the Quicktime Player X application AND the Launcher application which resides inside the QT 7 package. More details here

Just thought I'd bump this up again, because I finally found a solution for getting new .mov's to open in QT 7 by default. You need to trash both the Quicktime Player X application AND the Launcher application which resides inside the QT 7 package. More details here

Does this include QT7 being the movie player in Safari/Firefox?

-m

Does this include QT7 being the movie player in Safari/Firefox?

-m

I'm using Firefox and have never seen QTX-like controls in the browser, even when I had it installed...Also just looked at my site in Safari and it seems to play just like a normal embedded QT, as do the lightbox Apple QT Trailers.

I hate that the new QT doesn't have J-K-L controls, really frustrating. I just upgraded to SL over the weekend and upgrded QT as well. Hate the new QT for various reasons, like those damn controls being bound by the video screen, changes in the viewing size option (used to be able to do half size), etc.

Guest Sao_Bento

So, everyone pretty much hates QTX to the extent where they avoid it all together... reckon apple will do anything about it next update?

Highly unlikely.