Sign in to follow this  
fetusface

Creating an airbag.....

Hey guys,

I have been given the challenge of creating a transition element for an automotive industry motion piece which entails an airbag popping out and inflating directly towards the user until ultimately filling the entire screen.

I'm guessing the best way would be to use some sort of cloth based solution in Cinema 4D but from there I have no idea. I've even toyed with the idea of shooting it practically using a leaf blower and a large white sheet inflating and keying it out and correcting it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

picture1.gif

Is there the ability to do morph targets in C4D? One modeled object morphed over time into the other object should do the trick. Cloth simulation seems like overkill, unless you need this thing to bounce around like cloth...

I agree with etown. You would have more control over the effect by hand animating between morph targets. You could also add additional deformations to create some turbulence and to generally make it look even more natural. How slo-mo does the shot need to appear?

If you can find some high-speed reference footage you should be able to match pretty closely by hand and not have to deal with the unpredictability of simulations.

Thanks for the advice guys, by Morph targets are you suggesting going about a method similar to this:

http://www.maxoncomputer.com/tutorial_detail.asp?tutorialID=319

As in, I would model my pillow-esq geometry and then model it again at the end up the timeline then go in between adding different tweaks and changes?

Cheers

Edited by fetusface