Sign in to follow this  
levante

AE CS4 - Project damaged

I just received the first two error messages below when i tried to change the framerate of a comp. Because nothing visible happened i continued working, rendered out a test and saved the project. When i re-opened the file it appeared to be damaged and a lot of layers are missing - i also get the error messages again on opening the project.

Does anybody know a solution for this or had a similar problem in the past? File was created in CS4 on a Mac.

error_01.png

error_02.png

error_03.png

Try making a new project and importing the damaged .aep.

If that doesn't work, try to see if you had Auto-save enabled, and find the last saved file. (This setting is not on by default).

What exactly were you doing? The first two errors very much sound like issues with a contextual control that goes looking for a specific layer when it probably isn't supposed to...

Mylenium

What exactly were you doing? The first two errors very much sound like issues with a contextual control that goes looking for a specific layer when it probably isn't supposed to...

I changed the framerate of a comp that was accidently set to 29 fps back to 25 and got the error messages (not the warning about the damaged project though - it only appeared on re-opening).

Same thing happened later when i tried to copy and paste the layers into a new comp with 25 fps. Importing the damaged project didn´t work as well (i know this helps sometimes).

Responsible for the error was a time-reversed layer with masks that where linked to another layers masks via expressions. When i rebuilded the comp i had to delete the expressions before changing the framerate and re-apply the expressions to the masks afterwards to avoid the error.

The strange thing was that after the first two error messages no expressions where broken, everything kept working as expected - as mentioned above i rendered everything out and saved the project as usual (probably because i´m used to strange error messages from AE and didn´t really care). Few hours later i re-opened the project and it was damaged. Auto save didn´t help me then because they where all damaged too.

Still waiting for the first CS4 Project without major problems...

Edited by levante

I changed the framerate of a comp that was accidently set to 29 fps back to 25 and got the error messages (not the warning about the damaged project though - it only appeared on re-opening).

Same thing happened later when i tried to copy and paste the layers into a new comp with 25 fps. Importing the damaged project didn´t work as well (i know this helps sometimes).

Responsible for the error was a time-reversed layer with masks that where linked to another layers masks via expressions. When i rebuilded the comp i had to delete the expressions before changing the framerate and re-apply the expressions to the masks afterwards to avoid the error.

The strange thing was that after the first two error messages no expressions where broken, everything kept working as expected - as mentioned above i rendered everything out and saved the project as usual (probably because i´m used to strange error messages from AE and didn´t really care). Few hours later i re-opened the project and it was damaged. Auto save didn´t help me then because they where all damaged too.

Still waiting for the first CS4 Project without major problems...

Ah, I see. Probably due to that mask linking be more of a hack than a proper feature. thanks for reporting this.

Mylenium

Ah, I see. Probably due to that mask linking be more of a hack than a proper feature. thanks for reporting this.

Do you think i should file a bug report to Adobe about this issue?

Do you think i should file a bug report to Adobe about this issue?

It definitely wouldn't hurt, especially since neither I nor Mr. Kopriva or Mr. Rozenfeld have access to your files for verification. ;-)

Mylenium