Sign in to follow this  
pamunoz

Canon 7D DSLR

Guest Sao_Bento

Does the scarlet come with all equivalent features at its price point or do you also have to pile on lenses, rigs, and whatever else?

Nobody really knows. There's supposed to be one with an 8x fixed zoom lens (no T-stop given) for around $3750 I think, but I'm not sure that will be all you need to start shooting. I can't imagine that price includes storage. The next one up has detachable lenses for $2500 + ??? accessories, and allegedly there will be an adapter for Canon and Nikon glass (as well as a few others). That probably adds at least another $500 on, + whatever the baseline Scarlet would need to be functional. I'm going to guess that you'll be down about 6K to start shooting with that one. In either case, the baseline Scarlet only has a tiny 2/3" CCD, so your ability to control DOF will be more limited than with an APS-C or full frame sensor. - Scarlet's 2/3 sensor is 10.1x5.35mm vs. Nikon's DX cropped sensor at 23.6x15.8 - the Nikon DX is almost twice the size.

That's good video.

Anybody know what kind of mic connector does this camera has? Basically I want to know if I can ultimately connect my XLR mics to this thing. Also do u know if has VIDEO out to connect an LCD to it.

That's good video.

Anybody know what kind of mic connector does this camera has? Basically I want to know if I can ultimately connect my XLR mics to this thing. Also do u know if has VIDEO out to connect an LCD to it.

I think it has a small mic plug, but you could use an adapter. The problem is that it only has AGC, no manual control over audio levels and the typical problems associated with that.

It has HDMI out (limited to SD, I think).

Hi guys, just wondering here if anyone would know why the Canon 7D will cost roughly 70% more here in the UK compared to the US. I understand that it should be more expensive but it just seems that Canon is takinga piss really.

I spoke with a Canon representative last weekend and she couldnt give me an answer. She even got my email and question to pass on to her superiors. I found unlikely they will get back to me but if they do I will surely post their reasons here.

cheers

ps: yes this is my first post, I have being following the forum for a little while and I am very happy that there is such a tight community of mographers.

Guest Sao_Bento

Hi guys, just wondering here if anyone would know why the Canon 7D will cost roughly 70% more here in the UK compared to the US. I understand that it should be more expensive but it just seems that Canon is takinga piss really.

I spoke with a Canon representative last weekend and she couldnt give me an answer. She even got my email and question to pass on to her superiors. I found unlikely they will get back to me but if they do I will surely post their reasons here.

cheers

ps: yes this is my first post, I have being following the forum for a little while and I am very happy that there is such a tight community of mographers.

It costs more so they can rake in the profit, I guess (although you would think the volume of sales would decrease as the price increases). They're official response will probably blame stricter regulations.

Has anyone tried recording the video output of one of these dslr's? I was thinking perhaps you could bypass the h.264 issue if you stuck one of those Pro-res flash recorders onto the HDMI out. Or has the damage been done before the signal gets to the video out?

W

I found this tidbit via canonrumors.com:

"A little birdy just whispered something pretty remarkable into my ear. I cannot verify this AT ALL but rumor has it that Canon may be prepping to unveil a RAW or sRAW recording module for the 5D2, 7D, etc, which would record possibly via the CF card slot. Apparently they are being tested and used now."

I really doubt a Compact Flash slot could keep up with the demands of such an item. And given the fact that it's on a site associated with the RED system, I feel it's coming from fantasy land.

Canon Rumors had this speculation about the next generation of Canon image processors:

"Digic IV was not designed as a video processing chip, hence it cannot downscale multi Megapixel images in real-time at a frame rate needed for video. The fastest camera ever released by the company is the 7D and it can only down sample by pixel binning close to ten 18MP images to any smaller size a second. Current implementation skips vertical and horizontal lines then averages pixel values.

Digic V has a new on die area for video processing which lets it do up to 60 1080p frames a second with help from a pre-encoding ASIC chip that does pixel binning really fast. This will generate an image with almost no visible artifacts or moire. It will still be a step below RAW video but quality will be usable on production environments and on heavily detailed scenes."

Cf

Has anyone tried recording the video output of one of these dslr's? I was thinking perhaps you could bypass the h.264 issue if you stuck one of those Pro-res flash recorders onto the HDMI out. Or has the damage been done before the signal gets to the video out?

W

The HDMI out only spits out SD, I think.

Guest Sao_Bento

The HDMI out only spits out SD, I think.

I'm not sure with the Canon products, but the Nikons do HD out the HDMI, just not live video. I have to say that anyone who didn't think of "record the HDMI out to a Decklink Intensity" is not really in this game - however it cannot be done. If it could, you would be seeing it in all caps on every camera or video website on the internets.

Guest Sao_Bento

I found this tidbit via canonrumors.com:

"A little birdy just whispered something pretty remarkable into my ear. I cannot verify this AT ALL but rumor has it that Canon may be prepping to unveil a RAW or sRAW recording module for the 5D2, 7D, etc, which would record possibly via the CF card slot. Apparently they are being tested and used now."

I really doubt a Compact Flash slot could keep up with the demands of such an item. And given the fact that it's on a site associated with the RED system, I feel it's coming from fantasy land.

Canon Rumors had this speculation about the next generation of Canon image processors:

"Digic IV was not designed as a video processing chip, hence it cannot downscale multi Megapixel images in real-time at a frame rate needed for video. The fastest camera ever released by the company is the 7D and it can only down sample by pixel binning close to ten 18MP images to any smaller size a second. Current implementation skips vertical and horizontal lines then averages pixel values.

Digic V has a new on die area for video processing which lets it do up to 60 1080p frames a second with help from a pre-encoding ASIC chip that does pixel binning really fast. This will generate an image with almost no visible artifacts or moire. It will still be a step below RAW video but quality will be usable on production environments and on heavily detailed scenes."

Cf

It is, indeed, only a matter of time until DSLRs can record RAW at 24p (some can already do 15fps). The problem is that the manufacturers are probably unaware that anyone would want that (canon couldn't even figure out that 24p was preferable to 30p with the MkII). As has been said so many times before, the first step to being more than a toy is to get rid of that h.264. If Nikon could fix their rolling shutter problems and boost the data rates on their M JPEG, they would be in business. That being said, I'm a nervous nelly and will probably pick up a 7D to play with until the real thing comes along.

(canon couldn't even figure out that 24p was preferable to 30p with the MkII).

I know, wtf Canon!? Is this a business strategy? I think logic like this (they've been doing this for a long time) just angers and confuses people.

Edited by pamunoz

Guest Sao_Bento

I know, wtf Canon!? Is this a business strategy? I think logic like this (they've been doing this for a long time) just angers and confuses people.

They have the added complexity of trying not to step on their own existing product line, which can sometimes manifest itself as idiocy.

They have the added complexity of trying not to step on their own existing product line, which can sometimes manifest itself as idiocy.

You'd think it would be in their best interest just to consolidate their DSLRs and their prosumer cameras into one line. That way they could start producing their own line of rigs, viewfindes and other attachments; ones that are actually made for the camera instead of the cobbled together, poorly balanced ones that are available now.

Guest Sao_Bento

After looking around at the full-res files you can find from this camera, I think I'll back away from my statement that I will buy one. Definitely not acceptable for the delivery of a full HD end product. Probably usable if your final output will be 960X540 or less. Philip Bloom aside, this thing looks pretty bad.

See the full HD files of the following:

http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2009/09/26/1080p-version-of-7d-another-night-in-beijing-now-live-on-smugmug/

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/page14.asp

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/E7DVIDEO.HTM

or even download the original file of Dublin's People here:

http://exposureroom.com/members/philipbloom.aspx/assets/240a64598d7f4fdabaa56130739d4a2c/

I find the h.264 artifacting to be quite offensive.

FXPHD actually had a new course this semester specifically for DSLR cinematography, and it's something that anyone interested in picking up one of these cameras should take a look at before they take the dive.

It goes into ways of making the best situation out of a camera that can potentially take some really gorgeous video, and how the avoid the plethora of pitfalls that surround it.

Edited by Spence

After looking around at the full-res files you can find from this camera, I think I'll back away from my statement that I will buy one. Definitely not acceptable for the delivery of a full HD end product. Probably usable if your final output will be 960X540 or less. Philip Bloom aside, this thing looks pretty bad.

See the full HD files of the following:

http://www.dslrnewsshooter.com/2009/09/26/1080p-version-of-7d-another-night-in-beijing-now-live-on-smugmug/

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos7d/page14.asp

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E7D/E7DVIDEO.HTM

or even download the original file of Dublin's People here:

http://exposureroom.com/members/philipbloom.aspx/assets/240a64598d7f4fdabaa56130739d4a2c/

I find the h.264 artifacting to be quite offensive.

This is awesome info Sao. h.264 artifacting is horrible on fast moving shots. But I've seen worse on XDCAM HD footage.

The quality is still fantastic considering this is prosumer level equipment. It's today's XL-1 in my opinion and will target independent film producers. But the h.264 artifacting will be extremely annoying w/ fast moving subjects in front of a greenscreen.

That's pretty much the deal-breaker for me. I don't want to restrict my greenscreen actions to slow moving gestures.

EDIT: I dunno, I just took another look at some sample MOV's and I didn't find the h.264 compression to be that horrible. I'm renting the D7 to do some tests. the D7 is at a great price point and I have wanted a decent DSLR for a while now. It's still on my radar.

Edited by pamunoz

is there some name for the unwritten law of logic that dictates that you basically get what you pay for and that any improvements in quality and features occur in mild, wide waves like a lazy ocean tide instead of a giant "revolutionary" tsunami? let's call it schmlurphy's law™. because the downsides to this footage don't surprise me. there has been the OG miniDV sony vx1000, the XL1, the 24p dvx100, then hdv, the hvx200, red one, now the slew of DSLRs... they all are a good deal as far as what you get for your money but schmlurphy™ will always dictate that you are merely getting a subway $5 footlong (a really good deal might i say, i love them) and not a four star nine course gourmet meal for $5. it ain't ever gonna happen. but maybe quizno's will now be forced to offer 12" subs for like $4.95... that is how that ocean tide keeps gradually rolling in, over and over.

This is awesome info Sao. h.264 artifacting is horrible on fast moving shots. But I've seen worse on XDCAM HD footage.

The quality is still fantastic considering this is prosumer level equipment. It's today's XL-1 in my opinion and will target independent film producers. But the h.264 artifacting will be extremely annoying w/ fast moving subjects in front of a greenscreen.

The real key to getting a good shot with these cameras is appreciating it's more horrendous flaw, the more detail you have on screen the more artifacts you're going to see. This essentially means that all those gorgeous short depth of field shots you see aren't simply because the DOP likes that look, but because it's necessary to shoot that way to get anything usable. Less detail in the background = more detail for the subject.

As for fast moving shots, I actually haven't had any problems with artifacting myself, the rolling shutter on the other hand can be a real bitch. And yes, greenscreens can be a problem, to get a good key you really have to pump up the shutter speed to eliminate any motion blur or else you get this strange white line around you're subject (in the actual footage, not just the key, I don't understand it myself)

Guest Sao_Bento

is there some name for the unwritten law of logic that dictates that you basically get what you pay for and that any improvements in quality and features occur in mild, wide waves like a lazy ocean tide instead of a giant "revolutionary" tsunami? let's call it schmlurphy's law™. because the downsides to this footage don't surprise me. there has been the OG miniDV sony vx1000, the XL1, the 24p dvx100, then hdv, the hvx200, red one, now the slew of DSLRs... they all are a good deal as far as what you get for your money but schmlurphy™ will always dictate that you are merely getting a subway $5 footlong (a really good deal might i say, i love them) and not a four star nine course gourmet meal for $5. it ain't ever gonna happen. but maybe quizno's will now be forced to offer 12" subs for like $4.95... that is how that ocean tide keeps gradually rolling in, over and over.

I didn't pay attention to who posted this, but once I hit the word "schmlurphy", I knew it was Jaan. I don't think anyone expects that these cameras will suddenly be spitting out full res vistavision for $1700, but you have to admit that they've been improving slowly over the last two years. At some point they will reach will cross the line from almost good enough to good enough, the question is when. At this rate, it should probably happen within the next year. Will it be as good as film? Hell no. Will it be as good as RED One footage? probably not. Will it be good enough that it becomes the de-facto standard. Definitely.