Sign in to follow this  
pamunoz

Canon 7D DSLR

Guest Sao_Bento

All these pages and not one person brought this camera up. Cheaper and from what I have been seeing, A little better quality image.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Digital-Cameras/Lumix-Digital-Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras/model.DMC-GH1K_11002_7000000000000005702

As a follow up to the suggestion that the Panasonic GH1 be considered a "contender" for the title of "acceptable DSLR video", check out this post over at Prolost where they go into detail about how bad the video from that thing is: http://prolost.com/blog/2009/10/21/what-should-i-buy.html

I'd say the 7D is the winner at the moment.

Guest Sao_Bento

If only Hitler could have been so easily derailed by a camera that will never come out in real life.

Oct. 30 RED announcement

• If you already fell for it and bought a RED ONE, we'll let you fall for it again and give you special treatment.

• Scarlet is so great, here's an updated price and some new 3D renders, but we care so much we're not going to release it until Spring 2010 (read Fall 2010 - maybe)

• Here's a bunch of other crap like a 3D render of a $500 handle to distract you, now proceed with talking about what geniuses we are and thanking us for taking you on this ride for the last few years.

Did some preliminary tests today with the camera.

P.S. - where can I upload the original clips to? I'm thinking zShare.net and post the links? they're pretty large so I don't want to kill my bandwidth.

would love to see some fullres. even one or two. maybe one /w the rolling shutter and one showing the aliasing?

thx!

would love to see some fullres. even one or two. maybe one /w the rolling shutter and one showing the aliasing?

thx!

Yeah I'm going to try shooting some high contrast lines later tonight. I'm pretty tied up w/ work so I haven't had a chance to play with it as much as I would like to. so sad.

I'll upload them later tonight.

Wow, that sux that the video was offensive to you. :-(

I thought it was funny but I was focused on the humorous dialogue. particularly between the terrified women in the hallway who defend the 7D's 720p!

p.s. - the movie files are huge too big to host on my site. I'd prefer uploading them to a decent free file hosting company. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Edited by pamunoz

SAMPLE 7D Clips (Straight off the camera):

1) EXT - DAY: Go Train (Rolling Shutter) [1920x1080p @ 24fps], Size=130.7MB, Duration=23sec: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=051DSM6M

Disclaimer: Megauploads says that it'll be automatically deleted if the clip isn't downloaded for 20 days. So if these links are dead, that's why. I won't be re-posting. :-/ takes too long to upload.

Edited by pamunoz

I just shot a spot for RAM on saturday. As usual mostly shot 35mm. But also did some Phantom for overcranked stuff. And even some 5D for cutaways for the hell of it since it was in my hand. At transfer yesterday, the film, Phantom files and the 5D movs all went through the DaVinci to get the same color correction then laid to HDCam SR tapes. So I got to see side by side the comparison all the way through. The only diff is that the film and Phantom rolled at 24 but the 5D obviously was at 30. But I had them just transfer the 5D stuff slowed to 24 so it was frame per frame to the SR tape. So my conclusion from seeing them side by side through the same pipeline:

35mm as usual is still prettiest.

Phantom is pretty at 24fps but a bit too clean with a digital harshness. But at 500fps the images look so cool you put up with it - with a note to add a little fake grain in online. The latitude even using the RAW cine files was still far more limited than the film. In film I could have all the blacks and still keep the sky exposure. With Phantom I had to under expose to get sky detail and have the colorist dig up the blacks.

5D when stopped on a frame looks pretty damn close to Phantom (albeit with banding in the skies). But in motion looks like shit. Maybe it's the shutter speed thing or whatever but it has a very "video" motion to it even slowed to 24. So this footage will be time posterized and grained to hell in post to look like Super8 to make up for it. And it's not from the framerate originally being at 30. You can run a film cam at 30 and it doesn't look remotely look like the motion the 5D does. Even with a narrow shutter. So hard to say.

After the spot gets finished and aired I can post frames from the DaVinci still store of the comparisons.

C.Smith ^ yeah, i really tried achieving that film look w/ footage shot on 30fps machines and even w/ the pull down, the footage doesn't look quite right. I am very interested to see what you can share from this. sounds like it was a lotta fun.

Oh, if anybody's interested: http://www.learntocreatethefilmlook.com/ (F-Stop academy).

Edited by pamunoz

me friends Frankie skins aka Tim Brown, and Dstttttruktssss aka Chrissy boy Hewitt shot this on the 7d.

Pretty bad ass if you ask me.

I'll be getting one.

Edited by rykke

me friends Frankie skins aka Tim Brown, and Dstttttruktssss aka Chrissy boy Hewitt shot this on the 7d.

I'll be getting one.

Great piece. Love the flashed blacks.

I'll be getting one.

that was gorgeous. that dan trapp guy is a really exceptional dp. i've seen other great work from him before.