Sign in to follow this  
pamunoz

Canon 7D DSLR

Wow...

That was so good.

What's so good about it?

Looks just like the Canon 5D/ 7D test shots of people at night. Just here it's out in the nature.

Call me again when these cameras are used for some real interesting stuff.

...and, how do I block comments from certain members?

Click on your name on the top right->Select Manage Ignored Users -> type "ZeBrownie" under "Member's name".

Hmm. Well that would explain it. Like a grumpy old man when I watched this years open titles I spurted out, "Why did they have to go shoot with some digital shit camera this year?". I figured it was RED.

me friends Frankie skins aka Tim Brown, and Dstttttruktssss aka Chrissy boy Hewitt shot this on the 7d.

Pretty bad ass if you ask me.

I'll be getting one.

Hewitt never ceases to amaze me.

Sick!

Edited by hyp3

Interesting timing, this was just put up by Philip today:

<- Shot w/ "Standard" settings on 7D w/ no image processing. On easy to acquire affordable lenses. That's why I love my 7D. It's like my pet, I take it everywhere I go.

<- Interesting.

Although in their fall leaves example they didn't use the full dynamic range they got because the sky is all completely clipped out. What's the point in simulating a log curve if you dump the data anyways. I agree to shoot log, but at least show the benefit of keeping all the data and not just crunch the shit out of it so the contrast and sat go through the roof.

Although in their fall leaves example they didn't use the full dynamic range they got because the sky is all completely clipped out. What's the point in simulating a log curve if you dump the data anyways. I agree to shoot log, but at least show the benefit of keeping all the data and not just crunch the shit out of it so the contrast and sat go through the roof.

The DOP should have used a graduated filter.

how is this camera in achieving non med/CU shots with shallow DOF, when set to infinity and shooting wide stuff, it all looks nice and focused and crisp? also, is handheld a non starter? when handheld do you come back with quicktimes chock full of jellocam?

The DOP should have used a graduated filter.

Didn't HAVE to use a grad because on the left you see the sky detail is in the image. They just need to do power window work like you do with film so that you color correct different parts of the image differently. Crunch up the bottom of the image heavily, but only mildly on the top. SO you have the best of both worlds.

Edited by C.Smith

I don't have a decent wide angle lens. I've been focusing on shooting w/ low fStop for maximum DOF. The wides that I did shoot on bright days are very clear/very sharp. Is that what you're asking?

Also I haven't noticed jellocam symptoms yet w/ my 7D, and I've been doing a lot handheld.

how is this camera in achieving non med/CU shots with shallow DOF, when set to infinity and shooting wide stuff, it all looks nice and focused and crisp?

DOF isn't just about low f or t stops. Focal length, backplate/filmguage/imagesensor size, aperture, and focus distance all are in balance. The wider the lens, the deeper the DOF, the further out you focus, the deeper the DOF. So any camera will have a hard time getting a narrow dof on a wide lens with the focus at infinity. You can look at any DOF calculator on the web or there are a lot of iPhone apps that will tell you what your dof will be when you give it the backplate size (usually which cam you are using), focus distance, focal length and fstop or t-stop.

Guest Sao_Bento

how is this camera in achieving non med/CU shots with shallow DOF, when set to infinity and shooting wide stuff, it all looks nice and focused and crisp? also, is handheld a non starter? when handheld do you come back with quicktimes chock full of jellocam?

There is a TON of sample footage out there. I'm sure Vimeo holds the answer to most of your questions (i.e. examples of handheld 7D footage, etc). Controlling DOF is not specific to this camera - wide aperture = shallow DOF. Larger sensors and quality glass, and lots of ND go a long way towards helping that.

As proof, look at this demo reel for Artbeats, shot on RED http://www.apple.com/quicktime/guide/hd/artbeats_red.html

The most video-y looking video I've ever videoed.

DOF isn't just about low f or t stops. Focal length, backplate/filmguage/imagesensor size, aperture, and focus distance all are in balance. The wider the lens, the deeper the DOF, the further out you focus, the deeper the DOF. So any camera will have a hard time getting a narrow dof on a wide lens with the focus at infinity. You can look at any DOF calculator on the web or there are a lot of iPhone apps that will tell you what your dof will be when you give it the backplate size (usually which cam you are using), focus distance, focal length and fstop or t-stop.

nice. gotcha. i guess i have read about there being compression artifacting when the image doesnt have the easier to compress blurry bits and instead lots of detail through out, like a nice wide shot.

thats cool about not too much jello action. the thing is to do like maschwitz, and use the thing now. if it gets outdated with the 1D mk IV technology, i guess sell it used and upgrade (for DSLR's whats a years depreciation on the used market?). for me its worth it to be doing cool stuff, especially now that i have time and not a full-timer anymore. thinking hard about pulling the trig tomorrow morning. getting the canon 1.4 50mm and maybe one of the non canon 2.8 17-70s or something around that. i hear some of the non canon makers are a significant step down in build quality... anyone disagree?

the 60 fps thing is a great feature- i assume no audio?