Sign in to follow this  
pamunoz

Canon 7D DSLR

so i'm thinking of using one of these on my travels around the dominican republic coming up.

to you guys that have them, i have a couple of questions

would you guys that have 5dMkII's and 7D's say that its important to have some kind of stabilizer and screen hood? is handheld tricky for usable video or is it just drastic pans (in the order of my HV30?) i'd be into shooting lots in 60p mode.

also - the good CF cards are pricey, has anyone heard of any solution that allows one to save the contents of the CF's to a portable drive thing? ive heard mixed things about some but in princple it would be cool to not have to always have a laptop and power

also, batteries. does it rip through a good number of batteries? does the charger that it comes with charge fairly fast?

kinda excited about this for the price and could just use a good DSLR stills camera anyway

EDIT: this is probably too many questions. what are the good blogs for discussing rigs/set up for 5d/7d's and video

Edited by mintyfresh

Canon announced the Rebel T2i, and at $799 for the body with similar specs, it looks like it will cannibalize the 7D sales. I'm glad they are upgrading the video functions and recognize there is a whole other market segment they could capture. Are there any compelling reasons to still get a 7D instead of the T2i? Also when do you think they will upgrade the 5D or 7D (hopefully with even more video support)?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-new-canon-rebel-t2i-digital-slr-takes-aspiring-photographers-beyond-the-still-with-advanced-video-features-2010-02-08?reflink=MW_news_stmp

LOL - I'd hate to be a 5D MarkII owner right now... It seems like every camera around the 5D sports 24p capability now.

Yup - the T2i certainly challenges the 7D movie wise. It would be very interesting to do a side by side comparison of these 2 cameras! I hear it even has a slightly higher resolution 18mp censor.

You dont have a number of features of the 7D, like dual processor, faster still FPS, rugged body, weatherproofing and many of the premium still features that the 7D offers but for video users, especially students and hobbyists - it seems like a good way 2 go!

Edited by pamunoz

LOL - I'd hate to be a 5D MarkII owner right now... It seems like every camera around the 5D sports 24p capability now.

Yup - the T2i certainly challenges the 7D movie wise. It would be very interesting to do a side by side comparison of these 2 cameras! I hear it even has a slightly higher resolution 18mp censor.

You don’t have a number of features of the 7D, like dual processor, faster still FPS, rugged body, weatherproofing and many of the premium still features that the 7D offers but for video users, especially students and hobbyists - it seems like a good way 2 go!

As a 5DII owner, I don't feel slighted in the least. WHen it comes to the video usage of my cam, I could use 24p for sure. But in the few shoots I've used as a small C unit cam on a real job, I just had them convert the QTs to DPX for coloring at 24 so the image was slightly slower (30 to 24) like a mild overcrank. Yes I'll love to have that 24p update in a month or so, But at the end of the day I have a full frame cam that smokes the two little brothers in most other fronts. So I think there's something for everyone with the one glaring 24p oversight which I have managed to live through just fine so far. My home movies of my kid which the video is used 95% for have been fine in 30fps. So just reporting that as a 5D owner I am not *HATING* my situation. I love that camera every time I use it. If I thought the Rebel adds something to my life I'll go get one. But I'm having a hard time seeing what that would be. Maybe on a shoot with a bunch of cams for alt angles I can see those being fun to get a few of though.

There's some other news from Canon recently. A new plugin will allow ingest directly from DSLR's to Final Cut Pro through the Log and Transfer tool. (LINK)

And they're also working on a 4:2:2 MPEG codec. On reading this initially I thought the new codec was for the DSLRs, but I think it's heading for video cameras only.

W

There's some other news from Canon recently. A new plugin will allow ingest directly from DSLR's to Final Cut Pro through the Log and Transfer tool. (LINK)

And they're also working on a 4:2:2 MPEG codec. On reading this initially I thought the new codec was for the DSLRs, but I think it's heading for video cameras only.

W

is it this one?

more on the codec here

Edited by stoiqa

As a 5DII owner, I don't feel slighted in the least. WHen it comes to the video usage of my cam, I could use 24p for sure. But in the few shoots I've used as a small C unit cam on a real job, I just had them convert the QTs to DPX for coloring at 24 so the image was slightly slower (30 to 24) like a mild overcrank. Yes I'll love to have that 24p update in a month or so, But at the end of the day I have a full frame cam that smokes the two little brothers in most other fronts. So I think there's something for everyone with the one glaring 24p oversight which I have managed to live through just fine so far. My home movies of my kid which the video is used 95% for have been fine in 30fps. So just reporting that as a 5D owner I am not *HATING* my situation. I love that camera every time I use it. If I thought the Rebel adds something to my life I'll go get one. But I'm having a hard time seeing what that would be. Maybe on a shoot with a bunch of cams for alt angles I can see those being fun to get a few of though.

lol - wow Chris, I'm sorry that you got got all wound up over my comment. I know many people that are very frustrated about this whole 24p and the firmware delay. So cool, it's awesome that you don't fee slighted. Personally I don't care, it doesn't affect me, but it affects others enough and they're frustrated. But relax it's just a comment, not an attack on you. I'm glad you're smart about keeping stuff in perspective!

Alll is good.

Edited by pamunoz

lol - wow Chris, I'm sorry that you got got all wound up over my comment. I know many people that are very frustrated about this whole 24p and the firmware delay. So cool, it's awesome that you don't fee slighted. But many others do. Chill man, it's just a comment, not an attack on you. wow!

I think you over-played my level of frustration. I wasn't remotely wound up. You used 'hate' which is fairly strong word for owning such a great cam. I was with all relaxation and no ill-will just placing my one person data on my experience as an example of being happy. I by no means have any sort of camera lust. In fact my give-a-shit about this whole DSLR/Red fascination is extremely low. Lately I've been warming up to the RED as a viable film replacement for my every day job (which you can read about in my Film->Red, Genesis, Phantom post). But outside of that, my 5D has kicked ass and no other model coming out would make me think differently.

But I cannot stress enough that as I type this do not have any elevated blood pressure or any sort of defensive stance. Just adding a one-man devil's advocate.

Edited by C.Smith

I think you over-played my level of frustration. I wasn't remotely wound up. You used 'hate' which is fairly strong word for owning such a great cam. I was with all relaxation and no ill-will just placing my one person data on my experience as an example of being happy. I by no means have any sort of camera lust. In fact my give-a-shit about this whole DSLR/Red fascination is extremely low. Lately I've been warming up to the RED as a viable film replacement for my every day job (which you can read about in my Film->Red, Genesis, Phantom post). But outside of that, my 5D has kicked ass and no other model coming out would make me think differently.

But I cannot stress enough that as I type this do not have any elevated blood pressure or any sort of defensive stance. Just adding a one-man devil's advocate.

lol - It's alllll good! RED is lookin' pretty bad-ass but these DSLR's are fun as hell! :-)

Edited by pamunoz

can anyone verify this?

and it looks like it might juse be on a crap lens.

I think that clip is copied from youtube.(

).

It looks like they compressed it multiple times. Will have to wait for raw clips.

This Canon UK guy says the video is the same as 7D:

and he says full manual control firmware upgrade for the 5D is coming very soon.

another one here:

They've been using the 5D MKII & 1D MKIV for the plate shots on the show "24" season 8:

Rodney Charters is the main DP for "24".

Edited by mario5

I was holding out for Nikon to answer the 7D so I didn't have to buy new glass but at this price point with the features I'm gonna have to go with the 550D.

Any advice on good all round lenses to start with?

I was holding out for Nikon to answer the 7D so I didn't have to buy new glass but at this price point with the features I'm gonna have to go with the 550D.

This depends a lot on what/how you're going to shoot and if you plan to shoot stills as well. I use my 7D for video, so I don't benefit from any automatic features in any lens once the camera is rolling - no autofocus, no autoexposure, nada. So I decided to go with fully manual lenses. I've got two Ziess Contax Primes, an f1.4 80mm and an f2.8 28mm. Both of them I bought used for good prices (I think.) With the APS-C crop they come out to 120mm and 40mm. They work well on my 7D with a cheap adapter, but according to the guy at my local camera shop they may not fit on a 5D because the mirror bumps the lens mount. Also with this adapter they don't focus at infinity. You need to bring the focus back slightly. That said, they're awesome for that shallow depth, beautiful blacks look. The 28mm is just about wide enough to use with a glidecam (this is hearsay, I don't own a glidecam but I've played with my own steady rig and it just wouldn't work with a tighter lens.) But neither lens is practical for hand held as even a tiny shake a visible and with a rolling shutter you can't really stabilize harsh movement.

A friend uses an optically stabilized Canon lens which looks great on hand held shots with a very simple shoulder rig.

Hope that's useful.

W

I've heard of adapters like this but don't own one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/197094-REG/Novoflex_EOS_NIK_Lens_Mount_Adapter_.html

Here is some more T2i footage from Canon Japan & they list the lenses they used after the credits: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos550d/