Sign in to follow this  
pamunoz

Canon 7D DSLR

Awesome thanks guys, yeah I know nikon do a bit of video but seems like they're missing the boat compared to canon...

I've got a 50mm prime for my Nikon which blew me away quality wise for £90 so I'm thinking maybe get 2 primes and split the difference in focal length like a 24mm and an 85mm, I'll look around. Not fussed about taking stills I'll keep my Nikon going for that and I guess the main stuff I'll be shooting is music video style shots, mix of wide and CU's.

Those adapters look cool but I don't have THAT much Nikon glass that it would stop me from buying canon lenses to fit the EOS.

*Edit:

What do people reckon to this pair to get me started? (taking into account the type of shots mentioned above)..

28mm

50mm

Edited by froj

Don't mean to sidetrack this thread but...

Does anyone know how this (the 550d /t2i) compares to the video on the 7d? I'd be mainly interested in the video, with primes... for £800 its pretty exciting.

Also has anyone used the foundry's skew plug? I've read that it's pretty good for minor hand-held shaky.

Edited by Bakahatsu

Well, if the data rate is the same, then there's probably not much of a difference between the 2 units when it comes to shooting video. Well not enough to justify the cost difference. If anybody knows what the confirmed data rate is on the 550D please share.

Ah, I found out:

330MB per min = same as 7D. Just under 4GB for 12 mins of Video,

Looks like it'll be a good second camera.

Oh one tip - don't cheap out on the SD memory card, buy one that's capable of high write speeds.

cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/eosmovie/comparison/index.html

Ah, I found out:

330MB per min = same as 7D. Just under 4GB for 12 mins of Video,

Looks like it'll be a good second camera.

Oh one tip - don't cheap out on the SD memory card, buy one that's capable of high write speeds.

cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/eosmovie/comparison/index.html

awesome. What SD cards you been using with your 7D?

7D/5D/1D all use CF cards. I use AData 533x speedy CF on my 7D. 533x is serious overkill but I had real problems using slower cards when recording video on my 7D.

You'll definitely want to get an SD card that won't yield buffer underrun issues when recording video. Make sure the write speed is FASTER than 50MB/s sustained. Some say they are but they're not sustained. If it suddenly drops below 48mb/s during record it'll eat away your buffer and depending on how bad the card is, it'll stop recording on you.

7D/5D/1D all use CF cards. I use AData 533x speedy CF on my 7D. 533x is serious overkill but I had real problems using slower cards when recording video on my 7D.

You'll definitely want to get an SD card that won't yield buffer underrun issues when recording video. Make sure the write speed is FASTER than 50MB/s sustained. Some say they are but they're not sustained. If it suddenly drops below 48mb/s during record it'll eat away your buffer and depending on how bad the card is, it'll stop recording on you.

after reading all of these comments and looking at examples i feel like an idiot for purchasing a used dvx100b. it's a good camera, don't get me wrong, but everything looks better in hd. my main reason for choosing the dvx was for vfx shots. i didn't want to have to worry about rolling shutter for tracking shots. still though, the crisp images and dof these dslr's are pulling off look pretty damn good.

BTW I did a quick test of The Foundry's Rolling Shutter plugin on some test footage. It worked pretty well but if you go through frame by frame there was some Twixtor-like frame blended artifacts on the top left corner. So depending on the footage you may need to clone or repair some areas.

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/pkg_overview.aspx?ui=47C4AB50-4636-4326-87D1-FB380B2119EF

Wow looks like it works pretty well, cheers for that

BTW I did a quick test of The Foundry's Rolling Shutter plugin on some test footage. It worked pretty well but if you go through frame by frame there was some Twixtor-like frame blended artifacts on the top left corner. So depending on the footage you may need to clone or repair some areas.

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/pkg_overview.aspx?ui=47C4AB50-4636-4326-87D1-FB380B2119EF

Well my 550D will be delivered in the morning with a 28mm and a 50mm prime so I'll post up some thoughts and test vids in the week! Making a bastardised DIY steadicam (even more ghetto than most the online '$14' ones) to try and get some smooth-ish hand held stuff with a counterweighted monopod

I'm in UK - I'd imagine it would be easier for you to pick one up as I heard set dates of 24th for USA. I've had one on order from warehouse express in UK for the free bag and spare battery but they've been in stock since thursday in Jessops but I'd had trouble getting a real answer off anyone until the day it was shipped. Amazon.com not got them in stock?

Thought I post some Canon 7D use. I see the camera as just a great tool to achieving a high quality look with very amateur shooters and limited budget. With 2 people that hardly ever pickup a camera due to union rules and one professional shooter it came out better than any live action promo we have ever done before. I had fun using that camera even though I had never used anything like it before. This is nothing amazing like some of the links I have seen in this thread but I just wanted to show what it is like in the hands of someone that has hardly ever used a video camera at all.

Chris

quick question:

People don't seem to be very in love with the kit lenses on these, so what is the go-to everyday lens to get instead?

I use my SLR for everything from shoots to the kids, so I need a decent workhorse lens. I've always been fine with the Rebel kit lens for that, but it doesn't hurt to ask around if there is something I'm missing.

-sf