Sign in to follow this  
Ratbaggy

C4d: Importing Dwf, Igs, Sat, Stp?

I've been provided DWF, IGS, SAT and STP versions of the same file. Seems I can't import(merge) or open them into C4D?

Can someone help me out? Either with conversion of said file...whatever is best.

And/or what I'm missing with import/open ... I thought these were pretty standard industry formats.

Cheers,

Paul

I know it sucks but the best way to go would open the file on autocad them export it into other formats. Even if you open it in 3DMax you can miss some polygons. I had this problem before and it worked.

You can try http://www.maxon.net/products/editions-bundles/editions/architecture-edition/cad-connectivity.html and this http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-178621.html

I've been provided DWF, IGS, SAT and STP versions of the same file. Seems I can't import(merge) or open them into C4D?

Can someone help me out? Either with conversion of said file...whatever is best.

And/or what I'm missing with import/open ... I thought these were pretty standard industry formats.

Cheers,

Paul

DWF is Autodesk's proprietary read-only exchange format (DWG on steroids, in a manner of speaking). IGES, STEP and SAT files can be opened and converted in PolyTrans or DeepExploration CAD edition. Allegedly, C4D's architecture edition should be able to open some of them by ways of a PolyTrans light version and a respective plug-in...

Mylenium

Hi Paul - welcome to the hellish world of CAD formats... Cinema's architecture edition has readers but only after the mesh has been exported using a plug-in from Maxon - ie the supplier has to install a plugin into their software - this is usually a problem unless you have direct contact with that user.

The best bet I've found (unless you've got dozens of these) is to stick a polite post on a board where CAD guys are likely to hang out asking for help translating the file - CGTalk is a good spot, or cgarchitect.com - someone's likely to be able to help translate the file (usually into .obj format) and you can always offer some payment if the job affords it, although I've always been refused when I try to push some cash their way...

Edit - rant: if you fancy rising a bit of healthy bile try looking into the history of the .dwg format, and the vile ways Autodesk licensed it then controlled its use and translation - pretty despicable stuff

Edited by ChrisC