Sign in to follow this  
Carey

Crit School

So, Justin Harder and I are interested in starting a series of one-on-one critique sessions with a small group of people (aka. an informal school). This would likely involve assigning a project and meeting to discuss specific stages in the project. The project would be geared toward providing a context for us to talk about everything from aesthetic fundamentals to higher level aspects of storytelling. This will have nothing to do with teaching software. It will have everything to do with conceptualizing, communicating, designing, animating, etc.

The series won't be like art-school-expensive, but the catch is that you'll have to be able to make it to the meetings, which will be in LA (Venice), at night, probably a few hours once or twice a week for a few weeks or something like that.

So it's not all worked out yet, but I'm putting out some feelers to see who might be interested, and if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.

Let me know. PM me, or post, or whatever. We'd like to make this thing happen.

Christ! You lucky people! I wish we had people like you in Europe...we probably do, but they're not Binky and Harder...

Remind me how easy it is to emigrate/work in the US? Oh, it's not?

It'd be nice if you could do something online for those of us in the flyover states.
I'd totally be down if I was in LA, an online option would be awesome.

I know this is a really appealing idea for a lot of people. And I'm really glad it looks like there's enough interest to push this thing forward. But we're definitely not going to go the telecast route. The intention is to work WITH each other, not talk AT each other, so one-on-one is the only way to go. Written crits and one-way podcasts certainly have value, but we're doing this specifically to take it to the next level, which is where it needs to go.

Also, thanks for all of the interest. There's enough of it that we're actually going to have to have a short application process, which we're trying to work out. We're probably going to max out at 6 people, so that everyone involved gets the attention they deserve. But we'll try to make sure that even the application process has something thought-provoking about it.

Not sure how long it'll take to pull this thing together. We're both working, but we'll try to get it going in the next couple weeks, and then you'll hear about it one way or another. In the meantime, if you want to make suggestions for days/times, feel free.

Is this is a one time thing, or do you think you'll do some more in the future?

If the first one goes well, no reason we wouldn't do more. It'll live by the graces of natural selection.

We gotta get the first one goin first.

All in good time.

Interesting idea, although something tells me its going to take you a while to go through the application process...

good luck with it, it would be good to hear how it works out.

- d

Edited by dmc