Sign in to follow this  
stutts

Reels on DVD

I've heard a couple of people saying lately that the DVD reel is dead and a waste of time - that the web is the only place that really matters when it comes to your reel. But I've heard others saying that (at least a decent portion of) people doing the hiring are still more comfortable with physical DVD reels.

I ask because I'm about to transition to a freelance/job-seeking period of my life, and my reel is going to be a big part of that.

What say you, denizens of mograph? Are DVD reels dead? Do people you work with still ask for them? Or is 100% online 100% OK?

why not do both?

Because the time could be better spent on other things?

Unless DVD design and authoring are skills you are trying to market, I would much rather stick with just maintaining a website. I haven't actually been asked for a DVD for quite a long time. On the other hand, if you are sending out an unsolicited mailshot, then DVDs are probably still a good tool to get your work in someone's hands (you can always put your URL on the DVD if they would rather look on line.)

Guest Sao_Bento

Does it take that long to make and burn a DVD? No menu, just straight to the reel.

No, but you do have to label/print it, put it in some type of case, put it in a padded mailer, write or print address labels, take said mailer to the post office or have Fedex pick it up. Nothing that severe, but it does eat up a half an hour or so. Once it's out there, you can't get it back, or update the info, so if you move or change your number/URL, whatever, you've got something out there with incorrect info on it. Certainly not the end of the world, but it's not really trivial either.

Now days, formats are to be considered as well. Sending an SD DVD is probably not the way you want someone evaluating your HD work. Letterboxed?, it's so tiny - cropped? no way! BlueRay authoring - ugh.

No, but you do have to label/print it, put it in some type of case, put it in a padded mailer, write or print address labels, take said mailer to the post office or have Fedex pick it up. Nothing that severe, but it does eat up a half an hour or so. Once it's out there, you can't get it back, or update the info, so if you move or change your number/URL, whatever, you've got something out there with incorrect info on it. Certainly not the end of the world, but it's not really trivial either.

Now days, formats are to be considered as well. Sending an SD DVD is probably not the way you want someone evaluating your HD work. Letterboxed?, it's so tiny - cropped? no way! BlueRay authoring - ugh.

Or a DVD based reel that DOES update.

If you are sending a DVD there doesn't seem much sense in putting just a short reel on it - when you can put a complete portfolio. I used to do that, but updating DVD interfaces is pretty tedious. You do need to present it reasonably smartly too. Motion graphics usually look better on a computer screen than on SD DVD.

Web delivery of video will certainly kill the DVD fairly soon.

If you are sending a DVD there doesn't seem much sense in putting just a short reel on it - when you can put a complete portfolio. I used to do that, but updating DVD interfaces is pretty tedious. You do need to present it reasonably smartly too. Motion graphics usually look better on a computer screen than on SD DVD.

Web delivery of video will certainly kill the DVD fairly soon.

I agree wholeheartedly with that. It can't come soon enough for me ;)

Another point is that it's a lot easier and faster for someone to click on a link than it is to unpack your FedEx box, take out your DVD and put it into their computer/ DVD player which probably isn't set up correctly anyway. The chances of them seeing something shiny and getting distracted before looking at your work are probably 100 times greater when you go the DVD route.

most people don't even want a physical disc that they have to keep track of, throw away, or put in some sort of library they have for freelancers. I have had one request to bring a DVD into a meeting with a CD - I brought a QT on my laptop instead. Looked better than a DVD. No chance of the burn not playing correctly. Gave him a copy, which I am sure he never looked at again. Now I work for them on a fairly regular basis. No plastic was thrown away in the process

I have a ton of really nice DVD cases and blank DVDs. Have a bunch of inserts already printed. I pretty much have no use for them. Web is just easier. Better for both parties. It is a lot of work to make an excellent DVD insert, menus, etc., that are perfectly printed and assembled - while 99% of the people that want to employ you do not care in the least or even really want it hanging around their office. Plus, if you are also a designer or illustrator or want to be one, its better to drive them to your website.

thats my 2 cents. It certainly wont hurt to have it ready to go. Someone may want to see it that way. Someone that apparently likes horrible MPEG2 compression and hates the internet. I would rather send someone a USB jump drive with my reel (for the one person that asks) then to waste time making a DVD that will inevitably look worse and take up enough time to not really even make it cheaper.

Guest Sao_Bento

most people don't even want a physical disc that they have to keep track of, throw away, or put in some sort of library they have for freelancers. I have had one request to bring a DVD into a meeting with a CD - I brought a QT on my laptop instead. Looked better than a DVD.

I generally bring my laptop with a Keynote presentation that has just about everything that could even possibly be relevant to the gig. That way I can freestyle the presentation and address things in detail as needed. "Oh, you want to do greenscreen? - let me show you this thing I did a couple of months back . . ." Most of the same stuff is already on my website, but they're getting a guided tour.

I just use them as leave behinds for after presentations... I keep it simple and use a small recycled cardboard sleeve with custom stickers on it. Pretty cost effective and doesn't take too long to throw a batch of them together. It's nice to have available but web presentation is definitely more likely to be viewed.

SD dvds are still fine for HD work so long as you just author the DVD to be 16x9 so it fills the screen on newer TVs and letterbox when it's on a 4x3 output... it's no blu-ray but it's good enough.

Edited by scofield