Sign in to follow this  
aries ramos

My Very 1st Motion GFX Demo Reel

Please check out and visit my very first demo reel and blogsite by clicking the link below.. These are a few projects of mine as motion graphics artist for a government TV station here in the Philippines (National Broadcasting Network 4).. Most projects are done in adobe after effects cs3 on a pentium 4 powered pc only!!! (and only 1 gb of ram if i may add.. :) )

I just learned after effects days before i got in the TV station last year (May 2008)

Please feel free to leave a comment or suggestion.. Many Thanks in advance! See you there! :)

http://ariesramos.blog.com/

or you could also visit my youtube channel by clicking the link below:

http://www.youtube.c...ser/ariesramos2

Edited by aries ramos

hey Aries,

First of all, the reel is far too long. I see people on here recommending a reel should be around a minute in length - that should do fine for what you have.

Content - I think you need to work on your design skills (typography, composition, colour), and as a videographer (as per your profile ;) ) you need to look at your 3d camera moves and ask how you can make them better. I would start with just some easing to fool people into thinking the moves are more natural than they are.

Your bumper idents at either end of the reel stand out as being the best (ie the most up-to-date) bits, but some of the spots you've put on there are astounding - particularly the doctors thing and the shot of the watches with multicoloured question marks. WTF? Cut it!

Finally, I note that a few of the spots you have are based on images which you then take as a background, like the signpost. Taking the signpost as an example: it's probably worthwhile spending a bit more time on getting that bg image cut up better so instead of animating just the text for it, then you can treat each sign as it's own entity. Then you can do a bit more with what you have, like having the sign swing in and bounce, grow out of the post, fly in and stick in the post....you get the point.

Dan

Funny, reminds me of when I decided to build a custom PC years ago that had the same specs. Ridiculous how computers have changed.

Although I didn't watch the whole reel (length, like mentioned above, is too long) I would think that you have a decent understanding of the tools of AE. And as stated above, just need to refine your design skills to be able to communicate a little more clearly.

I agree with what was mentioned above. Cut it down and leave in only your absolute best work. There's some stuff in there that could do more damage than good to your reel. Try working on making a design work and look great as a still frame before you add motion. This will help you to develop your design skills and force you to really address the design problems rather than allowing motion to hide and obscure awkward designs and type choices.

I agree with what was mentioned above. Cut it down and leave in only your absolute best work. There's some stuff in there that could do more damage than good to your reel. Try working on making a design work and look great as a still frame before you add motion. This will help you to develop your design skills and force you to really address the design problems rather than allowing motion to hide and obscure awkward designs and type choices.

hey Aries,

First of all, the reel is far too long. I see people on here recommending a reel should be around a minute in length - that should do fine for what you have.

Content - I think you need to work on your design skills (typography, composition, colour), and as a videographer (as per your profile ;) ) you need to look at your 3d camera moves and ask how you can make them better. I would start with just some easing to fool people into thinking the moves are more natural than they are.

Your bumper idents at either end of the reel stand out as being the best (ie the most up-to-date) bits, but some of the spots you've put on there are astounding - particularly the doctors thing and the shot of the watches with multicoloured question marks. WTF? Cut it!

Finally, I note that a few of the spots you have are based on images which you then take as a background, like the signpost. Taking the signpost as an example: it's probably worthwhile spending a bit more time on getting that bg image cut up better so instead of animating just the text for it, then you can treat each sign as it's own entity. Then you can do a bit more with what you have, like having the sign swing in and bounce, grow out of the post, fly in and stick in the post....you get the point.

Dan

Thanks Dan,

Really appreciate your comments to my reel.Sorry for the late reply.Been busy recovering from the aftermath of two typhoons that just hit the Philippines.. I'm lucky that i survived together with my workstation at home.. :) Anyways, I'll keep your comments in mind for my next projects. And lastly, i'll see to it that my next demo reel would not be more than a minute and must contain only the best of my works! Once again,Thank you very much!

Aries Ramos

Funny, reminds me of when I decided to build a custom PC years ago that had the same specs. Ridiculous how computers have changed.

Although I didn't watch the whole reel (length, like mentioned above, is too long) I would think that you have a decent understanding of the tools of AE. And as stated above, just need to refine your design skills to be able to communicate a little more clearly.

Hi Grundly,

Thanks for your comment regarding my demo reel.. Really appreciate it. its a good thing i managed to save my computer at home (even if its only pentium 4, haha) from the great flood that hit us because of the two typhoons... Anyways, i'll see to it that my next projects for the network will be able to communicate to the viewers more clearly. And as for my next demo reel, i'll make sure that it won't be that long and only includes my absolute best work.

Cheers,

Aries Ramos

Hey SaintEfan,

Thank you very much for your time visiting my reel. Your comments here really helps newbies like me to improve and learn more! i will take note of your comments and keep those in mind for my next projects.. especially this particular sentence "Try working on making a design work and look great as a still frame before you add motion". From now on, i'll first make sure that the frame looks great and clean before i add motion on it.. Once again, Thanks very much! :)

Aries Ramos

Good day to all..

Hi,

I would just like to share my updated blogsite and youtube channel with my latest/recent works and projects as motion graphics artist for a local government tv station here in the philippines. it's really been awhile since i last uploaded my works/projects at youtube and on my personal blogsite. Right now, I'm currently planning on my 2nd demo reel for this year.. just in the process of compiling my best works. Hopefully i could upload it too as soon as finished..

I hope you'll have time to visit them by clicking the links below.. Please feel free to leave a comment/suggestions also.. Thanks in advance!

My Personal Blogsite

and/or

My Youtube Channel

More Power to us all here and See you there!