Sign in to follow this  
coachaviv

Export out of AE advice

I've created a 6minute promo/commercial with Green Screened interviews.

Shot in HDV (1440x1080 -16x9) - all done in AE.

I need to deliver this on a standard definition DVD for the client.

What is my best route for exporting this to be burned onto a DVD (will be using Final Cut's DVD studio pro in the end - I believe it has to have an mpg2 format).

I haven't been able to master the AE RENDER QUE that well.

Generally I export AE stuff to be used in a video editing timeline - now I need to export for burning a SD DVD.

Thanks to all you gurus out there that can help or point me in the right direction.

I would just render out a full 16x9 version out of AE and then let compressor make the mpeg2. If you wanted you could also render out a 4x3 version.

I thought that was the basic route but the MAIN QUESTION is what format to use etc etc. quicktime/animation/etc etc

And since it will most likely be watched on a 4x3 screen - if i precomp it, should i precomp it as 4x3 NTSC resolution, another words with a lower resolution?

Thanks

Edited by coachaviv

I'm still new Codecs and the render que myself. From what I understand, if your footage is interlaced, compressor will tend to over pixelate interlaced footage when it down-converts, while After Effects is much cleaner. Be sure to have the Separate Fields set correctly in the Interpret Footage dialog and that you separate fields in the Render Settings as well. Render with ProRes, Lossless or Uncompressed.

the footage is 24p

I thought that was the basic route but the MAIN QUESTION is what format to use etc etc. quicktime/animation/etc etc

And since it will most likely be watched on a 4x3 screen - if i precomp it, should i precomp it as 4x3 NTSC resolution, another words with a lower resolution?

Thanks

I'm still new Codecs and the render que myself. From what I understand, if your footage is interlaced, compressor will tend to over pixelate interlaced footage when it down-converts, while After Effects is much cleaner. So render out of AE with either ProRes, Lossless, or Uncompressed, and create your mpeg-2 in DVD Studio Pro. Be sure to have the Separate Fields set correctly in the Interpret Footage dialog and that you separate fields in the Render Settings as well. I hope Im answering your question.

the footage is 24p

You are very quick to respond. I think I would approach it the same way. If time is on your side, trying rendering and uncompressed animation out of AE and use compressor to convert to mpeg-2. Then try that same convert using dvd studio pro and see which looks better. Let us know. sorry if i can't be more help.

Edited by &Son

You are very quick to respond. I think I would approach it the same way. If time is on your side, trying rendering and uncompressed animation out of AE and use compressor to convert to mpeg-2. Then try that same convert using dvd studio pro and see which looks better. Let us know. sorry if i can't be more help.

so all i need to do is choose the animation setting in the render que correct? . . . dvd studio doesn't do any converting as far as i know.

In After Effects create a new comp. Use a preset for NTSC anamorphic. Drag your current comp into that new NTSC comp.Make sure it looks correct in that NTSC comp. Export from AE uncompressed and check the box in render settings to output fields. Then use compressor to make the MPEG2.

I think this is probably the simplest route for you to go, if you are unsure of the steps.

In After Effects create a new comp. Use a preset for NTSC anamorphic. Drag your current comp into that new NTSC comp.Make sure it looks correct in that NTSC comp. Export from AE uncompressed and check the box in render settings to output fields. Then use compressor to make the MPEG2.

I think this is probably the simplest route for you to go, if you are unsure of the steps.

Thank You,

I'm gonna put it into a NTSC 4x3, letterbox it - as far as the export uncompressed what exactly do i need to choose as far as "animation,h264,and the many other options?

In my render que I have many formats to choose from under the Output Module - it defaults to quicktime movie with animation as the compression type. Is this good?

I do not see output fields in the render settings only feild render upper or lower.

And i shot in 60i not 24p (ooops), the fps is 29.97 if it matters.

Thanks for the help

so if you are doing NTSC 4x3 letterboxed, all you need to do is export lower field first in the field render drop down and either animation or uncompressed quicktime movie. then encode in compressor for DVD and burn

so if you are doing NTSC 4x3 letterboxed, all you need to do is export lower field first in the field render drop down and either animation or uncompressed quicktime movie. then encode in compressor for DVD and burn

Thank you!

anybody else think it's a different route let me know, but i'm going for the render - wish me luck!

why use compressor? dvd studio itself can recode your video. I've always chucked animation qt's in dvd studio for short stuff and DV for longer (yes, compression on compression is evil, but most times it's hardly visible).

Here's a few Compressor settings I made for doing short form, high quality animation stuff on DVD. The defaults usually kill a lot of detail and causes lots of aliasing. These take a good bit longer, but the difference is seriously noticeable.

www.andrewfallon.tv/goodies/settings.zip

Edited by a2visual