Sign in to follow this  
Pat Reilly

Apple Motion Vs Adobe AfterEffects

So my boss is trying to get me to use Motion more than AE. I played around with it and did NOT like the lack of control you have, also when you start adding a ton of images and other elements it really lags down and makes it really hard to preview your work. (My computer is a mac pro with 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 9 GB of RAM.) So it should handle it pretty well.

I would love to get other peoples opinion on this.

Thanks!

So my boss is trying to get me to use Motion more than AE. I played around with it and did NOT like the lack of control you have, also when you start adding a ton of images and other elements it really lags down and makes it really hard to preview your work. (My computer is a mac pro with 2x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 9 GB of RAM.) So it should handle it pretty well.

Thanks!

an opinion on this or an opinion on your boss? :D looks like somebody's trying to save $$$, that's the only logic that could explain why a certain boss would try and get his employee to use Motion over AE.

Thanks!

They are not similar programs at all. Hope you will be able to convince your boss of that. Motion is for "Get er Done" graphics. Bumpers, lower thirds, and things done with a quickness. After Effects is a more precise, yet time consuming tool that allows you to do more, and with more control. If deadlines are a HUGE issue for your work (I'm talking 1 hour turnaround), you may want to dig into Motion a bit more, but if not, I'd stick with AE.

Saving $$$ is always the main push. Some other main things I forgot to add is how AE works so well with Ps & Ai. Importing PSD's and pasting in a mask are the 2 big time savers I use. Oh and motion paths are so much easier in AE.

I also showed him how using expressions can make some really cool effects and very dynamic control to the comp, but he really didn't get it.

Im working on a project right now for Discovery Education web site. We have to make 9 short documentary videos and he wants me to use only Motion. I will share my thoughts when we get done with the job, but Im putting up a fight because of my Love for AE!

Saving $$$ is always the main push.

The following is not a statement about After Effects or Motion, but a much more general one:

If your boss is trying to save money by having you use less expensive software, do the math and determine how many of your hours that savings is worth. And then determine whether you can save more than that many hours by using the more expensive software. You often find that the cheaper software is only cost-effective if your time is free (which I hope it's not).

It seems you already know the answer: Motion is not the proper tool for professional broadcast graphics. Is your boss familiar with either application? Or is he simply reading promotional material. If he's trusting that over your word then you might be at the wrong gig.

The following is not a statement about After Effects or Motion, but a much more general one:

If your boss is trying to save money by having you use less expensive software, do the math and determine how many of your hours that savings is worth. And then determine whether you can save more than that many hours by using the more expensive software. You often find that the cheaper software is only cost-effective if your time is free (which I hope it's not).

If it was all about the price of the software, we all would be using Blender for everything- it has animation and compositing functionality.

Also @ Nick -

I know in a production environ Motion ends up being painted as the "Git 'er Done" tool, but it's behavior based workflow for me has always been about the "Tweak forever but never really make anything" tool, kind of like how you get less made the MORE fonts you have installed because you just go through them one by one for an hour.

Of course, I am currently reducing my productivity at work by typing in a forum.

C

I just took a peek at CS3 Production Premium on ebay.com and there are several brand-new copies for a 'buy it now' price of $399.99 I presume your boss is turning his nose up at purchasing AE as a stand alone app ($500-$800 on ebay, paradoxically), which is the most expensive way to buy it. I don't know what your budget is like, but 400 clams ain't that much. I also wouldn't worry about not having the latest version, as CS3 is still quite serviceable.

EDIT: I guarantee the time you'll spend fucking around trying to get sexy with Motion will match $400 in billable hours in a hurry.

Edited by Mousel

Guest Sao_Bento

Just ask him to navigate to the folder of pre-comps in Motion's project window . . . that'll keep him busy for quite awhile.

Since you asked: It's fucking stupid. Seriously, Motion is nothing more than a glorified title and background generator. Even their better examples (the ones that Apple use in their own promos) look nowhere near as finessed as an average AE project let alone half as complex. Move on, nothing to see there. Just use it "as the best particle plug-in for AE", as one user put it (though even that isn't true) , and for laying out rough concepts, but never ever do anything it that involves more than a handful behaviors and two or three simple effects.

Mylenium

I used it only a few times for stabilizing/tracking shots but I've never been able to use Motion for a complete project because it always crashes within 10-15 minutes.

Load a few files & it crawls, then hangs & then crashes.

I have gone to Apple stores too & tried it on a few of their computers & it crashes.

I used it only a few times for stabilizing/tracking shots but I've never been able to use Motion for a complete project because it always crashes within 10-15 minutes.

Load a few files & it crawls, then hangs & then crashes.

I have gone to Apple stores too & tried it on a few of their computers & it crashes.

Yup it dose crash after about 15- 20 mins working on something, so then I showed my boss screen shots of it crashing 3 times yesterday day and then showed him the progress I have made with in a days work and that was enough to change his mind. (which was nothing worth to look at)

You guys made some very good points and I thank you u for your time.

WINNER AE!! by Rear Naked Choke.... lol

Just tell your boss that to get the job done you'll really need Flame, but that you'd settle for After Effects.

net savings of >$100k

If that doesn't work remind them how consistently Apple supports some of their pro apps (*cough* Shake *cough*) and how long Adobe has supported AE.

Just tell your boss that to get the job done you'll really need Flame, but that you'd settle for After Effects.

net savings of >$100k

If that doesn't work remind them how consistently Apple supports some of their pro apps (*cough* Shake *cough*) and how long Adobe has supported AE.

LOL yea thats true but sadly the place I'm at, we would never get a job that would need Flame.

For me this thread is less about Motion vs. AE. I don't know a single professional that would seriously entertain that debate. The real issue is this employer. I'm absolutely not trying to rain on the poster's parade, but if my boss was pushing Motion I'd feel absolutely certain that they would never step up to really support my contribution to the enterprise. How strong can the commitment be to what we do?

For me this thread is less about Motion vs. AE. I don't know a single professional that would seriously entertain that debate. The real issue is this employer. I'm absolutely not trying to rain on the poster's parade, but if my boss was pushing Motion I'd feel absolutely certain that they would never step up to really support my contribution to the enterprise. How strong can the commitment be to what we do?

Yeah, if you're boss actually said this, not as a joke, then he should not be in charge of anything. Relative to business, both programs are cheap, cheap , cheap. To be so absolutely petty, as to get you to use one dirt cheap program over another is ridiculous and I feel extremely sorry for your clients to know that their work is being done by a guy (or gal) who cares more about saving a few hundred bucks over using the right cheap piece of software. Unless it's for some kind of extremely unique pipeline integration thing like quickly moving between FCP and back a lot to justify it. But you didn't mention that.

What is your bosses REASON for wanting to stick to Motion?

It is useful though, for setting up templates for FCP editors as they can edit text in motion without having to re-render and re-import into FCP. But that's the narrow pipeline usage that Chris is talking about. And even in that environment it's still a piece of shit and a nightmare to work with.

It's like Livetype, but with a few extra features.

I'm pretty sure editors are really impressed with it. I don't know how a shop can rely on motion for mograph work.

The only thing I ever thought was remotely original about it was the 'behaviors'. But with 20 seconds of expressions in AE you already have that.

Yeah, if you're boss actually said this, not as a joke, then he should not be in charge of anything. Relative to business, both programs are cheap, cheap , cheap. To be so absolutely petty, as to get you to use one dirt cheap program over another is ridiculous and I feel extremely sorry for your clients to know that their work is being done by a guy (or gal) who cares more about saving a few hundred bucks over using the right cheap piece of software. Unless it's for some kind of extremely unique pipeline integration thing like quickly moving between FCP and back a lot to justify it. But you didn't mention that.

What is your bosses REASON for wanting to stick to Motion?

My boss is just very ignorant when it comes to this stuff. My reason of posting this question is to find some really good points on why Apple Motion sucks.