Sign in to follow this  
Junior Taxi

Thinking Particles: Particle Attraction

Hey All,

I'm trying to figure out if its possible, in C4D's thinking particles, to have one group of particles become attracted to another group. For example, Is it possible to emit a group of static particles ( group_A ) and then emit a separate group of particles ( group_ B ) so that each particle in group_B is attracted to the nearest particle in the group_A?

I hope that makes sense...

thanks!

chris

Edited by Junior Taxi

Hey All,

I'm trying to figure out if its possible, in C4D's thinking particles, to have one group of particles become attracted to another group. For example, Is it possible to emit a group of static particles ( group_A ) and then emit a separate group of particles ( group_ B ) so that each particle in group_B is attracted to the nearest particle in the group_A?

I hope that makes sense...

thanks!

chris

it sounds as if IF you could contain an attractor within your particles in group_A (as in every particle has an attractor within) you'd achieve what you want.

Edited by yoni bendor

Hey Yoni,

Sounds promising, but how would one go about embedding an attractor within particles... I find it quite odd there isn't a built in node for this (considering there's PVolumePosition to make an attractor from objects). It seems like common enough problem but i can't seem to find an answer anywhere!

any ideas??

Hey Yoni,

Sounds promising, but how would one go about embedding an attractor within particles... I find it quite odd there isn't a built in node for this (considering there's PVolumePosition to make an attractor from objects). It seems like common enough problem but i can't seem to find an answer anywhere!

any ideas??

I'm not sure about this either, I'd say its more likely to get an answer in cgsociety.org rather than here, what I could think of is to emit cubes / spheres and link a PVolumeposition node to them (so their volume will be used as "falloff" for the attraction)

come to think of it, in this particular case the particles don't even have to be attracted the nearest particle, just any random particle...

Basically, I'm trying to replicate a storyboard i've built based upon a global network, attached is a couple of frames...

digital_revolution_01.jpg

digital_revolution_02.jpg

So far I've built it so the particles appear in the correct place through using PMatterWaves and a specific texture. However I'd like to have a second PMatterWaves generator whose particles are attracted to random particles from the first generator, then using a tracer it will hopefully give the impression of a network being built.

But I'm still stuck on the particle to particle attraction!

any thoughts?

cheers

c

I tried this earlier with a basic pstorm/pstorm setup and pPositionFollow. the pPositionFollow node works fine with a mesh object but doesn't work with raw particle data from a pGetData node. I'm guessing there's some intermediate step missing to either iterate through existing particles or otherwise normalise the particle position data.

in other words, I'm still clueless...

Hi,

check my answer on your post on C4D Cafe, i posted the example file on my website

http://www.bonkers.de/forums/forums.html

dan_hin: Maybe you are trying to use iterated particles as a source for the PPosition Follow node, in that case only the last evaluated particle will be taken into account.

Cheers

Björn

Hey Srek your website had been offline yesterday and its offline now :(

THANK YOU SREK!!!

You're an absolute star! Although I didn't use the example you uploaded specifically, I have used one of you're previous examples (http://www.bonkers.de/forums/tp_cometogether.c4d) to attract the particles together and it works an absolute treat.

incase you're interested here's the file I've implemented it into:

www.juniortaxi.net/files/c4d/global-connections.zip

A little more tweaking and its gonna look stellar. I'll post it up again once its all finished.

Thanks again sir!

chris