Sign in to follow this  
vozzz

Why are you a freelancer?

Hi,

My name's Aleksey and i'm a Freelancer :)

because:

- I don't like to turn up anywhere before mid-day

- I don't like to be told what and when to do without getting paid for what i'm doing

- I like everything i;m told to do to have a price tag on it

- I like to be able to go wherever i want whenever i want, only sacrificing the money i would've earnt by working for that time. ( ie not getting fired for going to the beach )

- I don't like to work 8 hours a day.

- I like my pay to increase exactly as fast as my skills.

- I like it when the people telling me what to do are the same people who decide how much money i get.

- I like to be judged by what i do, not by what a piece of paper says.

I think that covers the main points.

Edited by vozzz

Hi,

My name's Aleksey

Not to hijack the thread, but interesting that you moved to Australia from "Mother Russia"

I'm from Kiev originally btw :)

well put man, all those reasons for me plus its nice to get paid well enough to then take chunks of time to R&D or do personal work or chill. also, now I have my girl through school so its even more chill to not need to bring home the health insurane

Prived =D Hochesh pomoch mne k vam pere-iehat'?

Just to clarify, this is an branch off the "Freelancers Union", where someone was talking about the benefit of labour unions and how it would be nice to have one or something. But i'm generally a strong oposer of unions. And someone questioned me when i said i became a freelancer to work less hours, so i decided to make a thread to see why people became freelancers.

I'm a freelancer because I like donating money to Adobe when they hike their UK prices during the worst recession in recorded history.

Oh, and I like a coffee with my wife in the morning.

I love being a freelancer, I love working at dozens of shops and meeting new people from all walks of life. I love being able to take 3 months vacations.

I just don't understand how you can link being a freelancer to working less hours. Everything I've seen suggests the exact opposite. Freelancers have zero job security so will not balk when a producer gets the bright idea of moving the delivery deadline of a project to tomorrow morning. For full timers, closing time is closing time. For 'lancers it's when the project is done. If you want to leave a good impression and have a shop hire you on for later projects, you bite your tongue and get shit done no matter how long it takes. That's simply the reality of things where I am currently, which is NYC.

I love being a freelancer, I love working at dozens of shops and meeting new people from all walks of life. I love being able to take 3 months vacations.

I just don't understand how you can link being a freelancer to working less hours. Everything I've seen suggests the exact opposite. Freelancers have zero job security so will not balk when a producer gets the bright idea of moving the delivery deadline of a project to tomorrow morning. For full timers, closing time is closing time. For 'lancers it's when the project is done. If you want to leave a good impression and have a shop hire you on for later projects, you bite your tongue and get shit done no matter how long it takes. That's simply the reality of things where I am currently, which is NYC.

true dat.

I'm a freelancer because I like donating money to Adobe when they hike their UK prices during the worst recession in recorded history.

Oh, and I like a coffee with my wife in the morning.

you won't let that go will you zook? :D

totally agree, its more hours while you are working for sure. i like it because for me i get pretty hardcore into the vortex and so i'd rather burn hotter and have more weekdays throughout the year to reload.

good thread

Edited by mintyfresh

I'll just echo all the above reasons. I don't need job security, I do need job flexibility. I've only worked one day this week, and that is exactly how I want it. Next week? Who knows, maybe 100hrs, maybe not.

I dunno, i guess i rarely have problems with deadlines, probably coz i work where people have no idea how 3d works, so i just tell them however long i want it to take, although i rarely take any jobs that would take me more than a week.

Also I work very fast =)

And as you say you can take 3 months of holidays, i just take them progressively instead of 3 months at a time.

@monovich FTW! although i probs wouldnt work a 100hr week, that's like 18 hrs a day, nuts! But then again, when you love what you are doing its not really work.

Edited by vozzz

I just started 'freelancing' again about 4 months ago. I did the inhouse network thing for 3 years and never really felt like I was able to hit my stride- don't get me wrong though I learned an insane amount and grew a lot from that experience it just always felt like there were things in the way. Luckily now I work mainly with a lot of my own clients, a little bit of remote work for some studios, and I also do the occasional week at a local shop. I just really love the variety and the freedom. Granted...I work a lot more hours now and have been working the last 3 weekends but I feel better about it because that structure is lifted. I can leave for 2-3 hours after I wake up, go for midday bike rides, and I can research and think about what I'm doing. Also, as stated above, if I want I can take off a few months (unlikely anytime soon but the option is there). There is a sharp increase in the quality of my work since I left my job too and I have no doubt it's completely due to cutting the shackles.

There is tons of shit to be concerned with as an independent... but I think it's really outweighed by freedom.

Edited by palmer

- I like it when the people telling me what to do are the same people who decide how much money i get

Huge. Huge. Huge. Pro for me. At the network there were so many arbitrary changes brought in from producers. So many pointless projects. Ugh.

"We don't like this orange can we change it to a blue?"

"You're the best- this blue looks great! I really believe in your eye! This is unbelievable."

"Wait. Can we change this to an orange but not the same orange as before? Finally got it front of Deb the programming director and she hates blue."

"After watching this for the 80millionth time we've decided we don't like the font and need something more dynamic. Everything else looks really amazing though. This shouldn't be a big deal, right? Ted our editor who is also a graphic designer like you thinks it should be something like this (see attachment of Bank Gothic)"

"Sorry, one more thing... just convinced Deb that blue was the color"

Fuck.

Now that I invoice for every single thing I do ... everyone is much more mindful of what they're asking and it's never arbitrary.

I thought most freelance gigs were going to other studios to do work for them... Seems like most of you guys just work from home? So when a job is posted on motionographer that says "anywhere" that's what you guys apply for?

blah my world is being flipped around...

Maybe this is why I never found much freelance work... that or my lack of any real world experience...

i'm a Freelancer :)

because:

- Knowing I'm being paid by the hour reminds me of the value of my time.

- I like to be involved in a creative process whether I'm getting paid for it or not.

- I like everything I do to be done with enthusiasm.

- I like being of service to people who need my help, and the responsibility that comes with it.

- I like working through the evening when I'm really enjoying what I'm doing.

- I like my skills to increase fast and sometimes in a new direction.

- I like it when the people I work for have chosen to work with me for a good reason.

- I like to be judged by results, not by reputation.

I think that covers the main points.

I thought most freelance gigs were going to other studios to do work for them... Seems like most of you guys just work from home?

I think it depends on the person, and the job. For me it's 75% on site 25% from home, but that's just me (I like working on site).If it's a large project with lots of artists working on it simultaneously and the studio has space maybe they want you in house so it's easier to coordinate. On the other hand maybe you are working for an advertising agency that doesn't do any motion design in house so you have to work from home. A whole bunch of factors, or maybe just prefernece on your part or the clients part might dictate whether you work on site or from home.

Maybe this is why I never found much freelance work... that or my lack of any real world experience...

One of the reasons I like working on site is I haven't been at this a super long time so I learn a ton by being around other artists. Especially if you get to work closely with good directors/art directors/animation sups. you can learn a lot really quickly just by watching them work.

Now that I invoice for every single thing I do ... everyone is much more mindful of what they're asking and it's never arbitrary.

That or they ask for the same arbitrary changes but instead of getting frustrated you just smile and think to yourself that change form orange to blue to orange just put me one step closer to my dream vacation (or at least paid for a killer night out:).

Interesting thread for me, I am an accidental freelancer. Sent out reels looking for a staff job a little while back but instead got offered a freelance job then that led to another, and I haven't looked back. With hindsight I think I was really lucky things worked out this way, freelance suits my personality much better.