Sign in to follow this  
jandrew

A more efficient way to work with materials in C4D?

The problem Im facing is the following. My cd requested I provide him with 15 - 30 variations of lighting/material/textures for a new cosmetics bottle. The model Im working on uses about 5 separate materials all ready (gradients, alphas, bumps, logo etc.) so Im either duplicating my bottle and applying duplicated (5 X 30) textures one by one to each new model or replacing textures on a single bottle. Both these methods are a bit inefficient, is there a better way to quickly swap between all materials on an object? I know I can organize my material library into layers but this doesnt help me much, thoughts?

/j

i'm not quite sure what you want to do, but what i can suggest is using xpresso.

that way you can hook up say the colour channel of 5 materials to one material, and then just change that, and the color will change through out.

if you post something similar to your file i'll have a look at it.

Hey Voz,

Here it is:

jannycakes.com/bottle.zip

I had to take off logos due to copyright so I may need to add another material or two.

Thanks

/j

i'm not quite sure what you want to do, but what i can suggest is using xpresso.

that way you can hook up say the colour channel of 5 materials to one material, and then just change that, and the color will change through out.

if you post something similar to your file i'll have a look at it.

so you want like a meta-shader you can swap out quickly many times?

problem is that whichever way you see it you're looking at a lot of (billable) work. You could probably save some time by using premade materials but I guess that doesn't help you much now.

Edited by dan_hin

The problem Im facing is the following. My cd requested I provide him with 15 - 30 variations of lighting/material/textures for a new cosmetics bottle. The model Im working on uses about 5 separate materials all ready (gradients, alphas, bumps, logo etc.)

/j

last time I checked, gradients alphas bumps AND even the logo could've been on the same SINGLE material, why use 5 seperate ones for that?

and in c4d while being in the Materials window if you select a material then go to the Menu -> Function -> Select Texture tags / Objects it will automatically choose all the objects in the scene using that material and show them in the Attributes window, now all you have to do is to drag the Material you want from the Material window and place it over the Current Material (which is shown in the Attributes window)

and all the objects within the scene have their material replaced...