Sign in to follow this  
Nameson

3D_MOGRAPH_REEL

I don't know what this is... a reel for your or a spot for the company...

It seems like they gave you a paragraph and you just threw together every effect and gimmick you could think of into one big mess... After watching it I have no idea what this company does, and have no idea what your skills are besides some basic 3D deformers...

If you wanted this to be your reel it fails, and if you wanted this to be a spot for a company it fails...

I'm at a loss for anything constructive... First off, a reel is not a spot for a company. Second, the sound design, and visual design are poorly connected. Third, there is no flow or anything cohesive through the piece besides the string of words your trying to push...

Design is about story telling... search for Binky's posts in the forum, he's more articulate than me when it comes to explaining these things...

there wasn't really much in there besides the text, was there? could have done with seeing some actual animation and some variation in type, materials and most importantly lighting.

come on guys.. ease up. its only 1995.. this reel is KILLER. this guy will definitely be able to charges upwards of $400/hr for some amaZing type effects.

It's comments like this that make me wonder how many PROFESSIONALS we actually have on this site. I swear, put someone behind a computer screen and they think they are almighty.

thanks to those who actually did offer up constructive criticism for kitchhock: dan_hin, philmadelphia, daveglanz (thanks for acting professionally)

sorry I didn't get to see your piece kitchhock.

Edited by spectrefish

Wow. I'm confused.

I kinda don't think I want to see it.

But I kind of want to see it.

But I don't... except I really really do. [bites nails]

It's comments like this that make me wonder how many PROFESSIONALS we actually have on this site. I swear, put someone behind a computer screen and they think they are almighty.

thanks to those who actually did offer up constructive criticism for kitchhock: dan_hin, philmadelphia, daveglanz (thanks for acting professionally)

sorry I didn't get to see your piece kitchhock.

thanks,

You're right. I was thinking just the same.

the stuff i posted might not be the best out there, but it's so easy to give plain stupid negative comments from behind your screen.

I'm not very long in this business, but i'm really doing the best I can at my work, so I'm glad to get some support. I was trying to get off mograph.net but didn't find a way. Maybe someone knows a way to delete a profile or entire topic?

I removed my link, cause I don't want it to be connected to those almighty-mograph-superstar-comments.

greetings,

K.

Hi, I'm wondering how KITCHHOCK was able to get so many views on his thread, haaving posted just an hour or so ahead of mine, while I still have none?

(Needless to say, I have not seen his/her post)

KITCHHOCK, did you publicize this post in some manner that I am not aware of?

Thanks for any tips, :)

Hi, I'm wondering how KITCHHOCK was able to get so many views on his thread, haaving posted just an hour or so ahead of mine, while I still have none?

(Needless to say, I have not seen his/her post)

KITCHHOCK, did you publicize this post in some manner that I am not aware of?

Thanks for any tips, :)

Oh, I see... the last REPLY was an hour before my post. It's actually been up for four days. Well, we'll see if I have nearly as many views in that time

Have a word with Sao. Other posters have requested that posts/threads be removed with varying success.

I sent him a message, but no reply...

the other 3 admins i sent the same message to, didn't reply either.

http://www.vimeo.com/7306549

I actually want to hear what Binky has to say.

He probably delivers the truth in the kindest manner to individuals seeking advice.

I think this reel got panned because its ego exceeds its talent.

You better have some damn good typography skills if you expect to get a tear from Sao.

-m

http://www.vimeo.com/7306549

I actually want to hear what Binky has to say.

He probably delivers the truth in the kindest manner to individuals seeking advice.

I think this reel got panned because its ego exceeds its talent.

You better have some damn good typography skills if you expect to get a tear from Sao.

-m

I didn't delete this for fun my friend.

what the hell did you post it back for?

why don't you respect my decision to remove it?

But anyway.

I'm ready for binky's holy words...

K.

I didn't delete this for fun my friend.

what the hell did you post it back for?

why don't you respect my decision to remove it?

No... you didn't delete it for fun... you deleted it because you didn't get the praise that you wanted.

-m

kitchhock,

I'm actually glad the link was reposted.

Follow everything that philmadelphia has to say about this!

You are using a multitude of styles and designs to get a message across. In doing so, the message gets lost because the viewer is trying to switch gears from one style to another. By the end I didn't know what the message was because I was watching all the effects you were trying to do. (I watched it without sound)

The most successful part of this was the "push it to the limit" part about 30 seconds in, and the "code breakers" part about 46 seconds in. Pick one of these designs and use it throughout the entire piece in a kinetic type style. You might be able to use two designs together if you come up with a clever way to use positive and negative space to switch between two styles.

Right now I agree with philmadelphia, you just threw every effect you could think of at it. Study long and hard about the fundamentals of design. Check out the book visual literacy to help build design skills.

keep at it and don't get discouraged.

:)

kitchhock,

I'm actually glad the link was reposted.

Follow everything that philmadelphia has to say about this!

You are using a multitude of styles and designs to get a message across. In doing so, the message gets lost because the viewer is trying to switch gears from one style to another. By the end I didn't know what the message was because I was watching all the effects you were trying to do. (I watched it without sound)

The most successful part of this was the "push it to the limit" part about 30 seconds in, and the "code breakers" part about 46 seconds in. Pick one of these designs and use it throughout the entire piece in a kinetic type style. You might be able to use two designs together if you come up with a clever way to use positive and negative space to switch between two styles.

Right now I agree with philmadelphia, you just threw every effect you could think of at it. Study long and hard about the fundamentals of design. Check out the book visual literacy to help build design skills.

keep at it and don't get discouraged.

:)

thanks for the advise.

comments like this are interesting and motivating.

choosing words carefully is essential if you really want to share your vision.

just like i should be much more selective in using effects to get my message through.

I just want to ad one more thing to defend my work:

it was ment to show a variety of techniques and styles. it was more of a technical show-off than a carefully designed piece of motion graphics.

But anyway, you have a point. I know I have a lot to learn, but I'm gonna get there.

Be aware you mograph-superstars, Kithhock is on his way...

K.

Wow - I dunno what all the abuse is about. There are some mad skills in evidence on this reel. Kitch could certainly lend a helpful hand to many an endeavor.

what do you mean exactly? English is not my native language.