Sign in to follow this  
Nameson

3D_MOGRAPH_REEL

I'm kind of loathe to dip my toes further into this mess, with all these expectations running around, but having seen your piece, I think there are a couple of things that might be helpful for you. (This isn't gonna be a "holy" experience for you by any measure. :) )

First, as has been said I think, you won't really want to call this a "reel" specifically. This isn't a big deal, but typically a reel, whatever the format, is a collection of work previously done, and compiled in some way to be seen all at once. What you've made here is more of a marketing demo or a corporate video or something of that sort. I really think some of the problem may have simply been your decision to qualify it as a reel, as that undoubtedly led to the wrong expectations. Honest mistake, confusion resulted, now you know. No biggie.

Second, I think the comment about the multiple styles and the audience having to switch gears might be a little misleading for someone in your position. It's quite apparent that you don't have much formal training, so your compositions are problematic, but I think what you've tried to do with the text is actually quite thoughtful for someone at this point in their education. Yes, you're using a boatload of effects, and yes they're honestly a little ugly most of the time, but you're generally trying to use them in the service of communicating an idea, which is great. So, "rulebenders" is bending, and "shapeshifters" is, i guess, shapeshifting, and "excited" is doing something frenetic and perhaps excited. This is a strategy that students will adopt at a certain early point in the learning process, which I call See n' Say design. The word behaves in a way related to what it means literally. It's not really a helpful strategy professionally, because it really just introduces an unnecessary redundancy, but it's an ok learning exercise in the beginning because it gets you to start thinking about how to convey simple ideas visually. It helps you develop the ability to SHOW your audience something as opposed to just TELLING them that thing with words that are dressed up real sexy. And showing is almost always more powerful, although many times it's more difficult. But you're doing it on your own, which is a good sign.

Where the See N' Say strategy is failing for you is where you're attempting to come up with a visual treatment/behavior to describe a more abstract idea. Some of the adjectives are pretty easy, like "rough" or "excited". But you're dropping the ball quite a bit with something like "rewarding", and that's where you're defaulting to an arbitrary effect that has no communicative value (eg. jiggling orange balls). "Critical" is an interesting one, because you've come up with a typographic solution with the exclamation marks, but then again treated the text with an arbitrary effect. There are lots of ways to reference an abstract idea with other ideas, so attack it from different angles. Think about how you might make a visual pun, or a visual metaphor, or how you might represent an experience involving the abstract idea. For example, you're kind of getting there with "rational" by referencing computers, but you're not really conveying the idea of computers in a way that speaks to their rationality. So how can you focus in on and amplify just that specific idea? You might, for starters, create a cold and calculating kind of mood, so instead of using super saturated blues, you could subdue the color palette. You could take the arbitrary effect of pulling through glowing lines and make it look more like the letterforms are constructed in some mathematically precise way, or that their structure is created from some internal logic or that they're the result of millions of tiny units coordinated by some incredible algorithm. There are a million ways to come at it, which is a big part of the fun.

I have a tendency to blab forever about this stuff, but maybe some of that helps.

I'm kind of loathe to dip my toes further into this mess, with all these expectations running around, but having seen your piece, I think there are a couple of things that might be helpful for you. (This isn't gonna be a "holy" experience for you by any measure. :) )

First, as has been said I think, you won't really want to call this a "reel" specifically. This isn't a big deal, but typically a reel, whatever the format, is a collection of work previously done, and compiled in some way to be seen all at once. What you've made here is more of a marketing demo or a corporate video or something of that sort. I really think some of the problem may have simply been your decision to qualify it as a reel, as that undoubtedly led to the wrong expectations. Honest mistake, confusion resulted, now you know. No biggie.

Second, I think the comment about the multiple styles and the audience having to switch gears might be a little misleading for someone in your position. It's quite apparent that you don't have much formal training, so your compositions are problematic, but I think what you've tried to do with the text is actually quite thoughtful for someone at this point in their education. Yes, you're using a boatload of effects, and yes they're honestly a little ugly most of the time, but you're generally trying to use them in the service of communicating an idea, which is great. So, "rulebenders" is bending, and "shapeshifters" is, i guess, shapeshifting, and "excited" is doing something frenetic and perhaps excited. This is a strategy that students will adopt at a certain early point in the learning process, which I call See n' Say design. The word behaves in a way related to what it means literally. It's not really a helpful strategy professionally, because it really just introduces an unnecessary redundancy, but it's an ok learning exercise in the beginning because it gets you to start thinking about how to convey simple ideas visually. It helps you develop the ability to SHOW your audience something as opposed to just TELLING them that thing with words that are dressed up real sexy. And showing is almost always more powerful, although many times it's more difficult. But you're doing it on your own, which is a good sign.

Where the See N' Say strategy is failing for you is where you're attempting to come up with a visual treatment/behavior to describe a more abstract idea. Some of the adjectives are pretty easy, like "rough" or "excited". But you're dropping the ball quite a bit with something like "rewarding", and that's where you're defaulting to an arbitrary effect that has no communicative value (eg. jiggling orange balls). "Critical" is an interesting one, because you've come up with a typographic solution with the exclamation marks, but then again treated the text with an arbitrary effect. There are lots of ways to reference an abstract idea with other ideas, so attack it from different angles. Think about how you might make a visual pun, or a visual metaphor, or how you might represent an experience involving the abstract idea. For example, you're kind of getting there with "rational" by referencing computers, but you're not really conveying the idea of computers in a way that speaks to their rationality. So how can you focus in on and amplify just that specific idea? You might, for starters, create a cold and calculating kind of mood, so instead of using super saturated blues, you could subdue the color palette. You could take the arbitrary effect of pulling through glowing lines and make it look more like the letterforms are constructed in some mathematically precise way, or that their structure is created from some internal logic or that they're the result of millions of tiny units coordinated by some incredible algorithm. There are a million ways to come at it, which is a big part of the fun.

I have a tendency to blab forever about this stuff, but maybe some of that helps.

Thanks a lot Binky.

This stuff you're talking about is really very interesting!

First of al, it was indeed not a good idea to call this a reel.

It might got better reactions when I called it something like 3D text-adventures ...

But anyway, the stuff you say is really helpfull. It's actualy the first time I am teached in some kind of way.

Til now I learned everything by myself.

Thanks to you, my post is no longer pure dammage to my reputation. But an interesting learning episode.

It's too much to reply all the things you say, but I have to agree in almost any case.

Just one more thing to defend myself, I told it before in this thread.

It was ment to be a show-off of techniques/styles and effects into a sort of manifesto for this company. But you are right anyway.

When you say it s moste of the time ugly. no offence, but I can't really agree. I think there are quit a few nice things in there. But that's my opinion.

Anyway, you say very truthfull things and I appreciate it a lot!

I'll keep your words in mind.

Thanks again!

I'll probably read it at least one more time.

K.

...my post is no longer pure dammage to my reputation. But an interesting learning episode.

Don't think about critiques of your work as ever potentially damaging your reputation. Critiques are ONLY an opportunity for learning, and anyone who is worth their salt will give you the opportunity to improve. The only time your reputation can ever be damaged is when your character is being questioned. One of the hardest things to do as a beginner is to learn to take value from critiques without feeling personally assaulted. People will slap your hand for a multitude of mistakes and lazinesses and lacks in attention, but you have to remember to take that as a sign of where you need to improve, not as a sign that you are flawed and people hate you. You took quite a beating in this thread, so spend some time figuring out why, and then figure out what needs to change and work to change it. No one's perfect, we're all working toward higher states of greatness.

When you say it s moste of the time ugly. no offence, but I can't really agree. I think there are quit a few nice things in there. But that's my opinion.

Absolutely. It's all subjective. But remember that, for the most part, the things that you make are supposed to be seen by other people, so the way that other people feel about it is going to be important. Know who you're making it for, and pay attention to how they're going to feel about it.

Don't think about critiques of your work as ever potentially damaging your reputation. Critiques are ONLY an opportunity for learning, and anyone who is worth their salt will give you the opportunity to improve. The only time your reputation can ever be damaged is when your character is being questioned. One of the hardest things to do as a beginner is to learn to take value from critiques without feeling personally assaulted. People will slap your hand for a multitude of mistakes and lazinesses and lacks in attention, but you have to remember to take that as a sign of where you need to improve, not as a sign that you are flawed and people hate you. You took quite a beating in this thread, so spend some time figuring out why, and then figure out what needs to change and work to change it. No one's perfect, we're all working toward higher states of greatness.

Absolutely. It's all subjective. But remember that, for the most part, the things that you make are supposed to be seen by other people, so the way that other people feel about it is going to be important. Know who you're making it for, and pay attention to how they're going to feel about it.

I hope your a tutor in the re(e)al world, cause it's a good thing listening to your words ;-)