Sign in to follow this  
DBOT

Animating a color to move across a 3d object

Hey folks,

Great site here with loads of great help! I am new to C4D and have a specific question regarding an effect I am trying to create. If anyone has any idea as to how to help I'd really appreciate it! Basically, I'm creating a 3D map image (as in an actual geographic map of a country) and want to show the "spread" of a disease across the land by using a color that fills the entire map graphic over time. Kinda like a liquid spreading across a surface but no need for the liquid effect. This may be a real easy thing to do but I'm tryna figure out the way that gives me the most control over where the color starts to move across the surface, how quickly it moves and where it stops. Again, any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!!

Hey dbot - I'd probably start doing that with proximal with a series of targets, it's a bit fiddly to setup but it'll give you total control of the spread works.

blobby_render.jpg

Scene file

Hey ChrisC...that looks amazing! Thanks so much for your reply and for including the project file for viewing. I've taken a look and am confused as to where you've used the proximal? I'm such a novice at this but with so much ambition it's driving me nuts! If you know of a tutorial which would save you the time explaining to me that would be great. Again, thank you!

Hey ChrisC...that looks amazing! Thanks so much for your reply and for including the project file for viewing. I've taken a look and am confused as to where you've used the proximal? I'm such a novice at this but with so much ambition it's driving me nuts! If you know of a tutorial which would save you the time explaining to me that would be great. Again, thank you!

Cheers DBOT, here's a simpler scene that should make things clearer. Proximal is a shader, it returns a colour based on distance to a designated subject. As for tutorials, 'fraid not, but hey - the only lesson worth learning is the one you teach yourself B)

nice approach, curious though (haven't looked at the scene file/s yet) do you need to set up a proximal shader for each element of the material or can you create your material (i.e, bump etc) and layer it with the proximal?

nice approach, curious though (haven't looked at the scene file/s yet) do you need to set up a proximal shader for each element of the material or can you create your material (i.e, bump etc) and layer it with the proximal?

Hey Ratbaggy - you could certainly cross fade whole materials using Proximal but you lose some control that way. Here I wanted to have the bump bubbling up before the colour change, like rust under paint - so the bump and colour channels need their own proximal shaders, which does get fiddly. Of course this would all be trivial with a node-based material editor, but we'll just have to keep on waiting for that, won't we...