Sign in to follow this  
g-off

3D box in AE

Does anybody have any solutions to this issue:

When I used 6 planes to form a box and pre-comp it, and then bring it into another comp which has motion blur, the box ends up getting these really weird edges that make it obvious it isn't a real cube.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about and is there a solution?

-g

Try setting the blend mode of each layer to "Alpha Add"

Yep. Here's an excerpt from the blending modes section of After Effects Help that explains:

"Sometimes, when layers are aligned edge-to-edge, seams can appear between the layers. This is especially an issue with 3D layers that are joined to one another at the edges to build a 3D object. When the edges of a layer are anti-aliased, there's some partial transparency at the edges. When two areas of 50% transparency overlap, the result is not 100% opacity but 75% opacity, because the default operation is multiplication. (50% of the light gets through one layer, and then 50% of the remainder gets through the next layer, so 25% gets through the system.) This is like partial transparency in the real world. But, in some cases, you don't want this default blending. You want the two 50% opacity areas to combine to make a seamless, opaque join. You want the alpha values to be added. In these cases, use the Alpha Add blending mode."

Yep. Here's an excerpt from the blending modes section of After Effects Help that explains:

"Sometimes, when layers are aligned edge-to-edge, seams can appear between the layers. This is especially an issue with 3D layers that are joined to one another at the edges to build a 3D object. When the edges of a layer are anti-aliased, there's some partial transparency at the edges. When two areas of 50% transparency overlap, the result is not 100% opacity but 75% opacity, because the default operation is multiplication. (50% of the light gets through one layer, and then 50% of the remainder gets through the next layer, so 25% gets through the system.) This is like partial transparency in the real world. But, in some cases, you don't want this default blending. You want the two 50% opacity areas to combine to make a seamless, opaque join. You want the alpha values to be added. In these cases, use the Alpha Add blending mode."

Thank you both very much

:)

Thank you both very much

:)

When I used 6 planes to form a box and pre-comp it, and then bring it into another comp which has motion blur, the box ends up getting these really weird edges that make it obvious it isn't a real cube.

-g

I've had success with alpha add, then adding an adjustment layer on top of everything and applying CC Force Motion Blur instead of AE moblur - that way you don't get gaps between the sides.

pdeb

Boris Cube is an easy, great way to work with boxes. You don't have all these issues, and the sides can all animate in very nicely.

-g