Sign in to follow this  
zander

Practical mograph

So this video contains 3 key things I never see clients do, there must have been some post people running the show

1) A well lit greenscreen, with all the motion they had, it was well done with good shutter angle and a locked off cam 1 shot.

2) Pre planning post. My god they had a concept and they executed it with post in the pre pro process, clearly they tested this.

3) stick with a concept and make it work as simple as possible. This job could have been done with dozens and dozens of layers and editing, or just shoot all 4 (3?) guys on 1 screen at the same time.

enjoy.

Edited by zander

I'm not sure I like it... let me rephrase that: I like some parts of it, but watching that effect for three plus minutes gets old fast. I see this a lot with "concept" music videos. They latch onto one thing and drill it into the ground. They definitely shot all the guys in separate passes, as the singer is often matted over background effects. Simple yes, but it lacks refinement and doesn't really go anywhere. I think this effect would play perfectly as a :30 spot.

They definitely shot all the guys in separate passes, as the singer is often matted over background effects.

That doesn't sound right to me. He's matted over background effects for the simple reason that he's standing closest to the camera. Since the background effects were physically behind him in the shoot, they stay behind his "trail" during the effect too. Even when objects do pass in front of him (the candy cane things for example) they leave trails behind the singer because he is constantly in the foreground making a new trail overtop the candy cane trail. Everything is definitely in the same pass.

You can do effects like this really easily using a simple newsroom-style switcher, and you can watch it live with no post whatsoever. I'm willing to bet these guys did a bunch of one-shot-wonder takes, and found a couple cut points (the jacket part for example near the start), then cut together a few of their favorite takes.

nah, there's compositing involved here. if it were simply an echo effect, the singer and his bandmates would also be effected. there faces and details of the clothing etc would strobe as well. it's still mostly good greenscreen work but it's not as simple as shooting it and calling it a day.

nah, there's compositing involved here. if it were simply an echo effect, the singer and his bandmates would also be effected. there faces and details of the clothing etc would strobe as well. it's still mostly good greenscreen work but it's not as simple as shooting it and calling it a day.

Echo with the original keyed image overtop, no?

I suppose you could do it in a single pass (in terms of actors on the screen at any one time -just add trails effect and recomposite original footage over the top), but I'd never want to limit my post-options by doing it that way. -personal preference.

In any case, after about 15 seconds it's like "ok, what else have you got?".

-do people watch music videos anymore?

Echo with the original keyed image overtop, no?

appears so!

I thought so, because even when things pass in front of people, they're immediately replaced by images where the subjects are not obscured. Simple and successful video concept, but it does indeed sort of play itself out early.

I'm trying to find that classic example where the one guy basically does all this backwards and "erases" all his echos as its very similar, but my google-fu is failing me at the moment.

Edited by planetfour

Not really, which is why low budget, single concept, youtube friendly spots like this are the best way to go.

I hope you're wrong. I've noticed recently that the budgets are pretty slim for all but the biggest names, but I'd hate to think things are getting to a point where there's only marginal interest in them. Music videos are great fun to execute, in my limited experience. There's typically more room creatively than say the :30 commercial format and they're usually around 3 minutes in length, congruent with a short film (which are fun too). I worked on a White Rabbits video back in April and, while not a mograph piece whatsoever, it was fun to shoot and creatively satisfying.

BOOM! Where do I claim my prize?

You can claim it right after I get mine for stating that originally it's a 1 take. It was obviously so, and in a fit of internet celebration, any one who thought otherwise is dumb, I am right, fuck you winner #1 etc.