Sign in to follow this  
bezoing

Cinema 4D - Opacity Keyframe

I'm an After Effects user just recently stepping onto the 3D scene in Cinema 4D. I LOVE this program, but I had one issue today that I couldn't figure out, and I was hoping to enlist your collective help.

One thing I love about After Effects is the robust ease of keyframing. While Cinema lets you keyframe virtually anything (which is both super awesome and incredibly daunting at the same time) one thing I can't seem to figure out is how to keyframe Opacity or Visibility. I see in the Timeline that you can add special property tracks like "Visible in Editor" or "Visible in Renderer," but I'm not sure how to keyframe these. I've also played with the "Display" Cinema Tag, but with no successful attempts yet. Everything seems to just turn "On" or "Off" without any fading...

Am I on the right track? Can anyone give me an idiot-proof, step-by-step on how to go about doing this? Making things disappear should be simple (and I'm sure it is... I'm just ignorant) which is why this has been such a nagging question for me today! Any help you all might have would be immensely appreciated.

Of course there's always the Display Tag, check the box next to 'use visibility' but dont animate it. Then animate the parameter visibility- you will have a bit more luck.

Edited by Eman

Thanks everyone; I'll try those suggestions.

The reason I need to do it in Cinema is I want to have concentric growing rings that fade out over time instead of just growing infinitely. I'm not sure how I could do that in After Effects, plus it just seems easier to have that control in Cinema. Thanks for your help; hopefully those workarounds will work.

Display tag works fine for this in simple situations. If you animate alpha in a texture, you need to use a different texture for each fading object. If you fade a solid object in C4D you will see the back faces of it as it fades, if you render separate objects in 3D and fade them in AE you won't.

If'n I was Maxon, I would pump up the layer system to be more like an AE layer. So you can have overriding opacity without dealing with materials and such. Also there needs to be an pOpacity node for Thinking Particles IMO.