Sign in to follow this  
Mousel

Blender 2.5

I don't use it either, but its something I always keep my eye on because the development process is so fascinating. Some of the features they are including are pretty amazing, like the smoke/liquids. I heard the GI still isn't very strong but its getting tweaked as well. I've heard good things about the interface improvements from friends who've checked it out.

After a while working with Blender becomes a second nature. Often, my girlfriend watches in amazement at the speed with which I can handle objects, change views, navigate your way around your scene in Blender.

Haha, awesome.

Where's all the bloody stuff gone! I had trouble before but this is insane! WTF! The materials editor is not the upgrade i was promised, where's the modifiers, and every time i hit F12 it changes the workspace layout irrevocably. It's not so buggy, but it doesn't seem to be the Blender to take on the Goliaths of Maya, Lightwave and C4D - and it had a good chance to poke Lightwave in the eye. It's too early to assume this is the final layout of 2.5, but it's far from the revision I'd assume would tempt 3D people over to the Blender fold.<br><br>Let's see what happens after Sintel is out and the Durian branches get stirred into the later SVN builds...<br>

I work with a Blender-lover who's happy with this update. The sample renders look pretty good, and the interface looks like it has some big improvements.

Still, I'm a seasoned Blender user and I *knew* all the hidden shortcuts, now I'm at square 0 again. For the uninitated, Blender's gonna be a major hassle to learn as so much stuff is hidden. I guess that's like a lot of 3D apps but they tend to follow a trend. Blender's bucking the trend, but if like me you like making abstract shapes and experimenting with nodal pre-render craziness to make weird stuff not easily possible with the Big Four 3D apps, download it in ten seconds for free, watch the tutes online, and get cracking.

Still, I'm a seasoned Blender user and I *knew* all the hidden shortcuts, now I'm at square 0 again.

That's what's stopping me from getting into this new version. Where's the shortcut mapper?

does blender have an interactive renderer or realtime previewer?

Interactive renderer? If you're talking about compositing, then... Kind of. Each change you make to your node network updates whatever preview nodes you have connected, which can take a long time, but it's still better than having to re-render everything.

In the 3D viewport you can trigger a preview render/render region.