Sign in to follow this  
Nick Campbell

Keeping Animation with Mograph 2 MoDynamics

Howdy all. Here is the idea I need some help with. Not sure If it's even possible with the limitations of c4d MoDynamics, but I think it would be fun so...

I want to make a car with spinning wheels and use the friction between the wheels and the floor using Mograph 2 to make the car go. I'm having two issues. One, is that the car and it's wheels get broken apart as soon as I put it in the cloner object with MoDynamics turned on. The second issue is that the animated rotation of the wheels go away when using moDyn.

A partial work around is to set the "initial velocity" of the clones rotation. But that only set's the wheel in rotation at the beginning and lacks the "drive forward" motion that I want.

I also played around with using an attractor to fake it, but the car doesn't go in a forward direction always.

Even getting objects to spin within the cloner object would be a help.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Cheers!!!

I just did the simple "Even getting objects to spin within the cloner object would be a help."

Just placed a cylinder object inside a grid cloner (like 4 wheels on a car).

Then I animated the rotation of the cloner object (not the cylinder), so the cylinders are spinning. Put in a floor object - added modyn tag to the floor and cloner. If the cylinders are spinning prior to dropping onto the floor they move across the floor...

Even getting objects to spin within the cloner object would be a help.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Cloner -> Time effector -> Rotation...

-m

Also... you can spin objects with the Time Effector in regular object mode (without a Cloner or Fracture) by using it like a deformer.

Thanks for everyone's help. The Time Effector is getting me the closest. It spins the clones at the start, but they don't continue to spin through the course of the animation. Is there a way to force the cylinders to continue spinning? Here is the scene file to give you an idea.

http://gsg.s3.amazonaws.com/SpinningCloneswithMoDyn.c4d.zip

Ideally, the clones would continue to spin up the hill like they were driving up the hill. Wind starts to get close, but not quite.

Thanks again!

Nick

Looks like he also bumped up the mass and, in particular, the rotational mass up quite a bit (8000% +). That's what did it. If you drop that down it stops working. Awesome stuff!

R

Looks like he also bumped up the mass and, in particular, the rotational mass up quite a bit (8000% +). That's what did it. If you drop that down it stops working. Awesome stuff!

R

Yep, That was it. It looks like the high rotational mass keeps the objects pushing along practically forever. Now, I just need to figure out how to attach Car bodies to the spinning wheels :) Thanks for the help!

I was trying to think how you might manage that part of things. So I was messing around with the Mograph Data node and realized that I could get the world space position info of each clone out of it, even with MoDynamics acting on the clones. Together with my (very) limited knowledge of COFFEE and trig I modified the above file with a "chassis" for the "car". I haven't really tested this much beyond this little example and it gets pretty broken once the angle becomes negative so I'm sure it will need to be refined to work properly, but this might get you going in the right direction.

Here's the file to play with.

R