Sign in to follow this  
mete_shop

Air Purifiers

Do any of you use one? I'm going to buy my girl a purifier for x-mas as she mentioned wanting one way back when.

All I know is you shouldn't get one that uses an ionizer as that increases the amount of free radicals in the air (which is possibly carcinogenic) and also irritates your nasal passages with the ozone it releases as part of the air filtration process.

So it's all about HEPA type air purifiers. Of which there are many. I don't want to spend more than 500. But I don't want to buy a piece of crap.

thanks all!

{ SRY FOR YELLING RENDERING}

LOOKS GREAT.. I JUST PICKED UP ONE FROM TARGET THAT HAS A BUILT IN UV FILTER AS WELL AS 2 LIFETIME HEPPA FILTERS AND A CHARCOAL INSERT FOR REMOVING ODERS...

WHAT YOU WANT TO LOOK FOR ALSO IS HOW BIG YOUR ROOM IS AND WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO CLEAR IT... I WENT FOR MINE CAUSE IT DOSE NOT REQUIRE REPLACEMENT FILTERS AND IS SUPER QUITE THE ANTIBACTERIAL UV BULBS WERE A PLUS AS WELL. I HAVE A DOG AND CAT AND IT HAS REALLY CUT DOWN ON THE DANDER AND DUST- HERE IS THE LINK

HONEYWELL

Edited by ADROK

Are you planning on manufacturing microprocessors in your house? If not, chances are that you are wasting money and electricity getting one of these devices. Almost all the discussions you find on the internet are run by people who have an interest in selling them, but there is almost no evidence that they really have any health benefits. While manufacturers are busy selling them, they have no interest in getting them clinically tested, in case they discover they are a waste of time.

http://allergyclean.com/news/2.htm

Edited by basilisk

By this paragraph, it looks like you'd have to go through a range of preventative measures to actually be effective in combating allergies.

"Therefore, it stands to reason that a comprehensive approach is the only one that will work - one that involves all aspects of indoor exposure to allergens. That is exactly why the Inner City Asthma Study is so exciting. We have covered this study before but it is worth mentioning again. This is a massive study done in seven cities in the United States covering over 900 children with allergy driven asthma. It is funded by the NIH and is well designed. The environmental controls consisted of covering the mattress and pillow with dust mite proof covers, using a HEPA air purifier in the bedroom, using a vacuum with a HEPA filter in the residence and pest extermination. And the results are remarkable. In fact, the improvement in symptoms of those asthmatic children is comparable to the use of inhaled corticosteroids. It is not only working. It is working more cost effectively than the most advanced medications - with no side-effects!"

Also stated in the article, that air filters only get rid of airborne particles, and specifically says the number one allergen is dust mite protein(feces), which settle quickly. Sounds like air filters aren't completely useless...

Edited by oeuf

Interesting discussion. I'll let you know how my girlfriend feels after a few months of having the coway running.

Please do. I've been looking for a replacement to an old air purifier for quite some time now.

I'm currently looking to buy this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-FP-N60CX-Plasma-Cluster-Purifier/dp/B0000CC8P7/ref=pd_sbs_k_3

If I can find it in stock anywhere.

I see that this unit also uses some plasma ionizing, blast you with some allegedly safe radioactive agent, which worries me...

The search continues...

Edited by oeuf