Sign in to follow this  
neutronrobot

Adobe CS4 Backwards Compatible?

I was just given some questionable information from an Adobe salesperson and I figured most people here would know whether this was BS or not.

I currently have the CS2 production suite at home and the company I work for uses CS3. Due to hardware compatibility, my workplace probably won't be upgrading to CS4 anytime soon.

Anyhow, it's now much cheaper to upgrade to CS4 than CS3, but if I can't take my work files home there's not much point.

So I'm asking this Adobe sales guy if I can still buy an upgrade to CS3 from them, and he's telling me that all of the CS4 versions have backwards compatibility with the CS3 versions. He claims I could work in AE CS4 and save my project as a CS3 compatible file.

I find this hard to believe and it goes against all the things Adobe's done in the past.

This can't be correct, can it?!

I was just given some questionable information from an Adobe salesperson and I figured most people here would know whether this was BS or not.

I currently have the CS2 production suite at home and the company I work for uses CS3. Due to hardware compatibility, my workplace probably won't be upgrading to CS4 anytime soon.

Anyhow, it's now much cheaper to upgrade to CS4 than CS3, but if I can't take my work files home there's not much point.

So I'm asking this Adobe sales guy if I can still buy an upgrade to CS3 from them, and he's telling me that all of the CS4 versions have backwards compatibility with the CS3 versions. He claims I could work in AE CS4 and save my project as a CS3 compatible file.

I find this hard to believe and it goes against all the things Adobe's done in the past.

This can't be correct, can it?!

I could be totally wrong, but I doubt it. Adobe people will tell you anything to make a sale.

I once had them tell me they would honor a coupon discount after I made a purchase on-line. In other words, I made a purchase, then found a coupon the next day. I called them to ask them if I could apply the coupon to the purchase for the discount. They told me "no problem, we'll send you a check for the difference." They never sent the check or applied the credit, which would have been easier to just refund the card the amount of the discount. I called back a few times and each time they put me on hold forever and then told me it was "being processed."

It wouldn't have been a big deal if they had just said "no, we can't do that once the purchase has been made on-line". What put me off a little was being told it wasn't a problem and then having them never keep their word. It wasn't worth the hassle beyond a couple of phone calls, but still.

Edited by tvp

Unless there's some work-around that I haven't heard about there's no way that I'm aware of to go from AE CS4 to AE CS3. We've tried at our studio, but haven't figured out a way to do it.

Edited by SaintEfan

Unless there's some work-around that I haven't heard about there's no way that I'm aware of to go from AE CS4 to AE CS3. We've tried at our studio, but haven't figured out a way to do it.

Thanks-

I figured that sales guy had no idea what he was talking about.

Looks like I'll have to spend an extra $400 for the rare out of print CS3 suite. AGGGH!

I figured that sales guy had no idea what he was talking about.

Looks like I'll have to spend an extra $400 for the rare out of print CS3 suite. AGGGH!

Please send me email at kopriva (at) adobe [dot] com. I'd like to get more information about what you were told.

from "Save and back up projects":

"You can’t directly save an After Effects CS4 project for use in After Effects CS3 or earlier.

TIP: Jerzy Drozda, Jr. (Maltaannon) provides instructions on his website for a manual—but still relatively efficient—way of copying data from an After Effects CS4 project into an After Effects CS3 project."

TIP: Jerzy Drozda, Jr. (Maltaannon) provides instructions on his website for a manual—but still relatively efficient—way of copying data from an After Effects CS4 project into an After Effects CS3 project."

A good tip, but it only works if you've got both versions.