Sign in to follow this  
michcio

Animated light trails - which software

Both of those images look like still photographs to me... Is that the case? If so, light trails are a fairly easy thing to do in Photoshop...

Now, animating those puppies would take a lot more time, so if you're needing t do that, then After Effects is probably best solution.

Can you get such nice light streaks with only Particular?

If you use anything else to achieve this in AE, it will be a tedious process and not look nearly as good. But, if you want to do it with Particle World, check out Video Copilot.

If you use anything else to achieve this in AE, it will be a tedious process and not look nearly as good. But, if you want to do it with Particle World, check out Video Copilot.

I guess i mixed up the meaning of my post. I have particular but what i meant was if i can get such nice colored and shapr light streak with particular? I have only used one colored light streaks and didn't work much with coloring or shading in particular. :)

Hi.

Can you give me a hint what software is used to create this kind of light trails? Have a look at the example:

asgrow401.jpg

Regards

Michal

I think part of the look is duplicating the strokes and getting the "whispies". On the duplicates, add turbulent displacement and lens blurs to make them look smoky.

Both of those images look like still photographs to me... Is that the case? If so, light trails are a fairly easy thing to do in Photoshop...

Now, animating those puppies would take a lot more time, so if you're needing t do that, then After Effects is probably best solution.

Just to make things clear: indeed the examples that I attached are still images (these are only one-frame shots from the commercial) but in the commercial they were animated.

Regards

Thank you guys for your answers. I ensured myself that I can achieve that with After Effects. My first thought was that this kind of well colored, smooth effect can be done only with high-cost application like Autodesk Flame (its build-in particle system).

Regards

Michal

Particular is worth its weight in future space gold. It is hands down one of the best plugins ever invented. That said, this looks more like a 3d stroke job.

Edited by mete_shop

Nobody seems to have pointed out the (slightly obvious) fact that if you want your trails to follow an object or something in the shot through 3D space with any degree of accuracy, you might want to matchmove the object first in Boujou, Syntheyes or similar app. My guess is that you can probably get away with faking what you're after, but... just for the record.

Nobody seems to have pointed out the (slightly obvious) fact that if you want your trails to follow an object or something in the shot through 3D space with any degree of accuracy, you might want to matchmove the object first in Boujou, Syntheyes or similar app. My guess is that you can probably get away with faking what you're after, but... just for the record.

Probably because it's a given and beyond the scope of the question. Like turning on the computer before rendering. One could also point out the need to roto the objects if the streaks go behind them, compositing said strokes over the image, setting a file format for output etc but not necessary to mention.