Sign in to follow this  
Xenocide

3D Tracking

Hello Forum,

1. Question:

I just got my first real Camera which is a Sony HDR-xr520ve and now that i got the right equpiment i want to try out 3D Tracking. What i want to do is, i want to place a 3D object in somebodys hand. I have watched quite a few tutorials on 3D Trakcking but most of them are just about how to place an object in a scene when the camera moves. My Problem is: i know how to add the object in the scene but can i link the object to the hand so when it moves it stays in the hand?

Is it possible to have a comera movement and link the object to the hand or is it only possible to track either the hand or the camera movement?

2. Question:

Tracking software... i know there is a lot out there but wich one to choose? Boujou is too expensive and syntheyes only for windows, i would like to stay in my mac os and not switch to my windows partition to track the footage. Is pfhoe a good solution for what i want to do or should i invest into syntheyes and use windows? Maybe something completely different?

Thanks for your help!

1) yes, when you track a footage you would normally get in your 3d package a Camera track (which means you can constrain any object to your camera therefore move along with your hand or whatever) and you'll get a few nulls marking the objects within the scene

2) yes, pfhoe is great.

In answer to your questions:

1. Matchmoving apps can track any rigid body movement. So as long as the hand is behaving as a rigid object (no joint movement) you should be able to track it. How you do it depends on the app you use. PFTrack and SynthEyes both allow you to track camera and object movement separately. PFTrack also has a geometry tracking feature that lets you import a 3d mesh, line it up with an obejct in your shot and then track the object's movement. In other apps you may also be able to fool your app into thinking that the hand is static and only the camera is moving, as long as the hand is large enough in frame. This can give you a track that may work just fine.

2. Actually SynthEyes is available for Mac (last time I checked.) For the money, SynthEyes is a great app. It does what most of the big boys do and gives you loads of control. PFHoe is great when it works, but lacks the control to fix problems. I use PFTrack. It's awesome and full of all kinds of features beyond just camera tracking. But it costs about 8 times as much as SynthEyes.

Hope that's useful.

W

Hello Forum,

1. Question:

I just got my first real Camera which is a Sony HDR-xr520ve and now that i got the right equpiment i want to try out 3D Tracking. What i want to do is, i want to place a 3D object in somebodys hand. I have watched quite a few tutorials on 3D Trakcking but most of them are just about how to place an object in a scene when the camera moves. My Problem is: i know how to add the object in the scene but can i link the object to the hand so when it moves it stays in the hand?

Is it possible to have a comera movement and link the object to the hand or is it only possible to track either the hand or the camera movement?

2. Question:

Tracking software... i know there is a lot out there but wich one to choose? Boujou is too expensive and syntheyes only for windows, i would like to stay in my mac os and not switch to my windows partition to track the footage. Is pfhoe a good solution for what i want to do or should i invest into syntheyes and use windows? Maybe something completely different?

Thanks for your help!

Thanks a lot guys, you are really helping me out here. You are right about snytheyes it is available for mac but because i am a student 400$ is too much at the moment, as it looks my only option is PFhoes because of the inexpensive Price.

Can I important 3d meshes into PFhoe?

So i can go ahead and shoot my scene and then track the camera path and the movement of the Hand seperately. From there i can place the object in the scene and/or link an object to my tracked hand. Did i get it right?blink.gif

Thanks!

If you're going with PFHoe, I'd try to trick it into thinking the hand is static and the camera's moving. I've used this trick when I wanted to add a 3d character to a moving bus. You just mask out the background before tracking. You'll get a solution with a moving camera. But if you place your 3d element correctly it should look ok.

W

PFHoe is a pretty nifty little program. I think you'll find it's a bit under-featured for doing object tracking. I'm not even sure it can do object tracking at all. But you can try Kokosing's suggestion. You may also be able to stabilize the footage relative to the hand and then use this to "trick" the tracker into thinking the hand is static and that the camera is moving. I haven't tried this though so I don't know how well it would work, if at all.