Sign in to follow this  
78robots

1080p to 1080i

Yes. It's not hard to turn progressive into interlaced. The other way around is meh and you won't get good results.

Your frame rate is correct (I assume you're in NTSC land) and your resolution is 1920x1080, so you just need to export out an interlaced version of it. HD is always upper field first.

Now the delivery format is up to you.

Yes. It's not hard to turn progressive into interlaced. The other way around is meh and you won't get good results.

Your frame rate is correct (I assume you're in NTSC land) and your resolution is 1920x1080, so you just need to export out an interlaced version of it. HD is always upper field first.

Now the delivery format is up to you.

Ummmm...that's not exactly correct. Interlaced 60i material will be much smoother than 30p because it's got twice the temporal resolution. The image was captured 60 times in a second rather than 30. Simply exporting it with a field dominance won't make it interlaced. I've had some luck slowing progressive down to 50 percent in twixtor (thus creating twice as many unique frames) and then running it FCP at 200 percent with frame blending on. (Do the speed change in the timeline, not the viewer.) I used this for the PBS Newshour open.

Hope that helps. W

You're right about that. If his source was 60p, it would convert to 1080i nicely.

But I've converted some 1080p30 to 1080i. It doesn't look like the "video look" that 60i gives, but it was a required format.

I forgot about 60p > 60i, so my mistake about that.

Edited by hyp3

Sorry, what I meant was taking 30p and simply setting a field order, which I gather was your suggestion, will not give the poster what his client is asking for. This would be especially true if the animation/footage contained a lot of quick lateral movement. The only solutions I'm aware of are a) render/shoot all images at 60i, B) render/shoot at 60p and speed up with field blending in AE or FCP, or c) render/shoot 30p and convert to 60p via Twixtor or some other frame interpolating speed changer and speed up with frame blending in AE or FCP.

W

Edited by Kokosing