Sign in to follow this  
HuesThere

Jon Storsæter Showreel Work in progress

Shortly I´ll be seeking a new job and this is my new showreel. Any feedback is welcome!

- I´m considering taking out some shots, and making some brand new motion elements. Which shots should I take out?

- I would really like som funny ending (like my previous showreel: youtube.com/watch?v=00O6IAegPsI)

Any ideas? Can the kids be used as something to make you smile, or is that just wrong considering the lyrics of the music?

Again: please do comment!

I think it's definitely a good idea to remove some shots. Right now it's very long. If you could cut it down to :60 of your absolute BEST work you'd be in good shape.

I hadn't originally watched it with the sound on, but when you mentioned the lyrics I figured I'd see what you meant. Watching with the audio on was extremely distracting. I think that the combination of the song's pacing and the distinct and, somewhat, odd lyrics lead to me focusing much more on the music than the visuals.

It's usually a good idea to avoid fake branded work in a reel. It's difficult to tell how many of the branded pieces in your reel are authentic and how many are spec, but your intro is definitely one that should be reworked. Think about what that's actually saying about your brand. Do you really want to say, right at the beginning, I couldn't think of an original idea for my own brand so I just copied an existing, highly visible, campaign?

Be very careful with spec. work in general. If it's not on brand, on message, and highly polished it will always look uninspired and uncreative.

There's a lot of variety in the work which could play nicely in a shorter format.

Firstly, thank you so much for lengthy and well founded critique!

My original idea was max 2min and with music from a friend of mine. The prior is difficult selectionwise (I´ve seen it a hundred times) and latter is taking its time. I would really rather just start making more stuff to put in there too, just to show off what more I can do, but realize it´s already too long...

What shots stand out to you? Worst and best?

I´ve worked mostly on commercial stuff, but have an ambition of utilizing the esthetique of advertising within the documentary. So I´ll be applying for a job in with documentary companies aswell. Does this, in your opinion, change anything with said reel?

Regards, Jon

I think it's definitely a good idea to remove some shots. Right now it's very long. If you could cut it down to :60 of your absolute BEST work you'd be in good shape.

I hadn't originally watched it with the sound on, but when you mentioned the lyrics I figured I'd see what you meant. Watching with the audio on was extremely distracting. I think that the combination of the song's pacing and the distinct and, somewhat, odd lyrics lead to me focusing much more on the music than the visuals.

It's usually a good idea to avoid fake branded work in a reel. It's difficult to tell how many of the branded pieces in your reel are authentic and how many are spec, but your intro is definitely one that should be reworked. Think about what that's actually saying about your brand. Do you really want to say, right at the beginning, I couldn't think of an original idea for my own brand so I just copied an existing, highly visible, campaign?

Be very careful with spec. work in general. If it's not on brand, on message, and highly polished it will always look uninspired and uncreative.

There's a lot of variety in the work which could play nicely in a shorter format.