Sign in to follow this  
Duder

iPad

If anyone has read this far do you see any devil's advocate to my thoughts? Unless I'm missing something obvious, I would drop my laptop in a second if it existed in 1920x1200 and had the same power as full OSX.

I can see a lot of potential for this device. I have a couple of software and accessory ideas for it already. I'm sure some developers out there will take it to places that people are not imagining right now.

Finished watching the presentation ( http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/1001q3f8hhr/event/index.html ) & I think they'll sell a lot of these because it's a wicked fast game console!

Don't know what 3D chip is in it but in the presentation video at around 00:47:33, EA put their Need for Speed game in fast FPS mode & it looks like it's doing a good 60FPS at least.

The specs say it can play 720p 30fps videos on the device & 576p/480p on a TV with their component out cable. ( http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/ )

Jobs said it can play video for 10 hours straight on 1 charge! They must be using the graphics chip to decode.

EDIT: With the right cable, it can output 720p to a TV.

Edited by mario5

I'm bummed about the lack of a camera. for some reason it seemed like the perfect video conferencing device, even though I don't video conference.

I'm sure the iPad is fun, but I can't see buying this rev. When they release the (iPad 5g S) RED Edition with a few more features, I might take another look.

Chris I doubt one could build a workflow around using one's fingers instead of mouse/keyboard/pen. Fingers are too clunky and prone to error, as the necessity of iphone's built in autospell proves. So I don't think it could ever work on a professional level. At least not while fingertips emit grease and we all still have weak arms that we prefer to lay on a table instead of minority report our workflow with.

I think this device won't even be useful for basic old people/wife needs since it doesn't read flash and has no easy inputs. You need a converter just for usb for christs sake. I want a waterproof bendy image sheet, that's what i want, not a giant fisher price video toy.

While I'm not one to get swept up into gadget hype, I think that despite a questionable name, this device has enormous potential. The same mistakes are being made by critics of this device as the last few Apple smash hit gadgets. The obvious one is the name, but really, who cares? The iPod name got ripped when it was released, and we all have 3 of them now. Another thing you always hear when Apple releases a new gadget is a sort of superficial review of the hardware, without taking into account the user experience which is what makes their products (usually) great. With the iPod it was "It's just a hard drive! I can get a Brand X mp3 player for $1.95! Apple is crazy if they think people will pay $300 for one of these! Then these people actually tried one out, realized that despite it being just a hard drive with a good hardware and software interface, that it was much more compelling than anything else out there. Then they promptly went out and bought 3 of them. It was the same with the iPhone: "We already have touch screen phones; what's the big deal?" Now they're posting online rips of the iPad from their iPhone. The other thing that you always hear is that Apple's new gadget is missing key features in the 1.0 version that are going to kill it. Yup, there are even a couple missing things on this device that I think are questionable, but that's been true about pretty much every Apple product since the iMac, (OMG, no floppy drive!!!) yet they sell like mad, and usually get most of the missing features added before too long.

I'm no Apple apologist, and they do occasionally miss the mark (someone still needs a wedgie for those terrible round mice), but I would not bet against this thing. There's something about reducing a computer down to the only absolutely necessary component (the display) and making it more readily useable than a laptop that I think is going to work for a lot of people. You can't walk around with your laptop or comfortably use it standing up, and of course smart phones are way too small for video, actual web surfing, etc. While I realize they've crafted a giant marketing campaign around the idea of the "sweet spot" between laptops and smart phones, and therefore I'm naturally skeptical, I have to admit I think they're onto something. None of this is to say that the critiques here or elsewhere are invalid, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if this device ends up being the "game changer" Apple wants us to believe it is.

After listening to all the hate I was pleased to read ProLost's optimistic view the iPad's potential.

If you look at the iPad as *just* an input device it's already pretty competitive.

For the love of god my Wacom cost $350, and I can get an iPad for $499?

A Tenori costs $1k.

The Lemur costs $2k (and it's the size of a telephone book).

I can see how an iPad will eventually find it's way into the hands of all sorts of realtime multimedia control.

-m

While I'm not one to get swept up into gadget hype, I think that despite a questionable name, this device has enormous potential. The same mistakes are being made by critics of this device as the last few Apple smash hit gadgets. The obvious one is the name, but really, who cares? The iPod name got ripped when it was released, and we all have 3 of them now. Another thing you always hear when Apple releases a new gadget is a sort of superficial review of the hardware, without taking into account the user experience which is what makes their products (usually) great. With the iPod it was "It's just a hard drive! I can get a Brand X mp3 player for $1.95! Apple is crazy if they think people will pay $300 for one of these! Then these people actually tried one out, realized that despite it being just a hard drive with a good hardware and software interface, that it was much more compelling than anything else out there. Then they promptly went out and bought 3 of them. It was the same with the iPhone: "We already have touch screen phones; what's the big deal?" Now they're posting online rips of the iPad from their iPhone. The other thing that you always hear is that Apple's new gadget is missing key features in the 1.0 version that are going to kill it. Yup, there are even a couple missing things on this device that I think are questionable, but that's been true about pretty much every Apple product since the iMac, (OMG, no floppy drive!!!) yet they sell like mad, and usually get most of the missing features added before too long.

I'm no Apple apologist, and they do occasionally miss the mark (someone still needs a wedgie for those terrible round mice), but I would not bet against this thing. There's something about reducing a computer down to the only absolutely necessary component (the display) and making it more readily useable than a laptop that I think is going to work for a lot of people. You can't walk around with your laptop or comfortably use it standing up, and of course smart phones are way too small for video, actual web surfing, etc. While I realize they've crafted a giant marketing campaign around the idea of the "sweet spot" between laptops and smart phones, and therefore I'm naturally skeptical, I have to admit I think they're onto something. None of this is to say that the critiques here or elsewhere are invalid, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if this device ends up being the "game changer" Apple wants us to believe it is.

Well said. I still think it's the gateway device to Pad laptops with full functionality. Imagine using AE: trimming clips with your fingers, rotating layers, sizing, using a 3 finger drag to change Opacity on an object etc. You'll be finger painting motion graphics. But for the curmudgeons you can still plug in any USB device if needed.

I'd love to take a look at the screen, because I really can't imagine a device with a backlit display working as an ebook reader. Magazines maybe, but certainly not books. Unless Apple has a secret plot to make us all go blind...

Housewives. children and prosumer enthusiasts aside, I don't really see a purpose for this device, UNLESS Apple releases a new version with full OS X support and USB ports.

I've used tablets before, albeit based on Windows. It's pretty awkward.

But I'd want one just for showing portfolio work to clients. I think that's one of its best uses.

As far as it being a revolutionary device, not really. It didn't reinvent the wheel. It just made the wheel sleeker.

I like the idea of tablets and I am pretty sure it will get better down the line, but in the mean time--meh.

I personally feel that the iPad is surprisingly limiting. Somehow the jokes of a larger iPhone came true(minus calling, camera)

I was expecting(hoping) that it would run OSX and have a USB port or two.

I know...I know.....its not SUPPOSED to be yadda yadda yadda.

But you can claim similar with ANY product.

.....I don't really know what its supposed to be then.

I am happy that it will possibly inject some competition into the tablet market or at least help push current models into the mainstream.

I can see where Monkey is coming from. It might be interesting as an input device.

But even here, regardless of size, how can it compete with something like this(6 month old product - $499):

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/15/asus-eee-pc-t91-review/

Combined with something like this(yes, its FLASH):

http://www.hobnox.com/index.1056.en.html