Sign in to follow this  
bzudo

baking a camera projected texture on an object in C4D

I am stuck. I am trying to bake a camera projected texture to an object. I can't seem to figure it out. I've already modeled the left hand and made it editable. I just don't know where to go from here. Here is my c4d file. Any help is appreciated.

Here is the image I am using.

robot4_hands.jpg

Curious, why do you need to bake it?

I want to bake the texture because I want to animate the object I am projecting on to. For example, I modeled my left hand and I am projecting that texture onto it. I want to animate my left hand but if I do that without baking the projection onto the hand the texture will slide and move during the animation.

I hope that makes sense.

Albert's right. Once you've sorted out your projection, select the texture tag and then 'Generate UVW' coordinates. Your texture will no longer be projected, but have UV coords and deform with the hand animation. If you're deforming the mesh to line it up with the projection, you may have to do 'Current State to Object' for C4D to see the correct projection when it creates the UVs.

I think 'Bake' was throwing us. Bake usually means to convert a rendered state like a reflection or ambient occlusion into a bitmap texture.

W

Sweet. The "Generate UVW Coordinates Tag" works like a charm. The texture is sticking to the hand model.

The trouble I'm having now is bringing that hand into 3D Body Paint so I can touch up the texture.

I go through the setup process I click this icon.

c4d1.PNG

When I do that I go from this.

c4d3.PNG

To this.

c4d2.PNG

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

I've been searching for some help on Body Paint 3D. Not a lot of useful information. I have a Cineversity account, but I can't understand what the hell Dr. Sassi is talking about half the time.

It looks like my UVWs are being separated in a way that messes up the texture. I can't figure out how to keep the texture in the same spot as the projection and allow me to paint and fix the objects texture with Body Paint 3D.

You're right, there's not a lot of Bodypaint stuff around. I've got a tutorial that I'm trying to find the time to cut and post online dealing precisely with what you're talking about. When you use the Paint Setup Wizard, I think you've got Recalculate UVs checked. What Paint Setup Wizard does is reform the UVs into what the computer thinks is optimal and also can create your texture maps.

Since you've already got a texture map and a UV (By making the object editable and then Generating UVW) I don't think you need it. When you generate UVW coordinates you should be all set to jump right into Bodypaint and start tweaking.

Now if you want to define your own UV map, using the Generate UVW method doesn't work because you can't tweak the UV Map anymore. In that case, I would start by modeling the hand, bring into paint setup wizard to optimize, then manually tweak the UV Map to make it however you want it to look. Then use the bake texture tag and bake out the color channel to apply to your color material. This doesn't work in 10.5 because the Bake Texture channel doesn't seem to be aware of UV coordinates.

Hope that helps!

Edit: for clarity

Edited by Jeff McBride

If you want to use Bodypaint to do the whole thing... delete the hand texture...run the bodypaint wizard which will generate new UV's... turn on projection painting...then open your hand texture with the open command...copy it and paste it onto the model...the image will float over the model and you can resize and rescale/rotate it to fit...press enter to map it on then you can use the other tools to clean it up.

Since you've already got a texture map and a UV (By making the object editable and then Generating UVW) I don't think you need it. When you generate UVW coordinates you should be all set to jump right into Bodypaint and start tweaking.

Now if you want to define your own UV map, using the Generate UVW method doesn't work because you can't tweak the UV Map anymore. In that case, I would start by modeling the hand, bring into paint setup wizard to optimize, then manually tweak the UV Map to make it however you want it to look. Then use the bake texture tag and bake out the color channel to apply to your color material. This doesn't work in 10.5 because the Bake Texture channel doesn't seem to be aware of UV coordinates.

Hope that helps!

Edit: for clarity

I don't really want to define my own UV map. I'm fine with the one I have after I use the "Generate UVW method". The problem is once I bring that into Body Paint 3D I can't use any of the tools on it. (clone, brush, etc.) It's almost like Body Paint forces you to edit UV's even if it's exactly how you want them. Is there a way to edit a texture in Body Paint without re-defining your UVs?

Thanks for your reply. I hope what I typed makes sense.

Try going into BP UV Edit mode, click on the Materials tab and make sure that your Material is Loaded. If there's a Red X you can't edit it. Otherwise, make sure you've selected the correct object, material, layer, and channel and that your brush is painting on the correct channel.