Sign in to follow this  
lethal_dose

MoCam operation help

For the life of me I can't figure out MoCam.

Easy cam and Docu cam are easy to figure out. Just on or two camera moves. I want to follow a static object using several linked camera but in one smooth movement. Aka the MoCam.

With MoCam I can't even figure out how to get the cameras to move. I see what they did in the examples parenting move null, but I don't see how the camera moves. Can someone point me in the right direction.

Chris Smith replied right away on his site forum and gave me a great starting point.

Here is his feedback.

MoCam is the same as EasyCam2 but with 8 waypints instead of 2. Move the (up to) 8 waypoint cams where you want them in the scene. Hit play. MoCam will start morphing between them. Then it's a matter of turning off the waypoints you dont need (in the MoCam attributes disable 'active'). Then set the ease-in/ease-outs, hold frames etc to your liking.

I hope this helps anyone trying to hit the ground running.

Conversation of Circles of Delusion Discussing Mocam:

David writes.

Hi Chris. Recently started using mocam, and much to my surprise its quite easy to use and works very well in a pipeline. It's very modular.

Well, just when I thought we might get out of the woods without any major client feedback, they wanted to tweak one of the waypoints and have it drift smoothly past, instead of "stopping and drifting," as I had animated it.

Can you think of an easy way to match the incoming velocity of the camera so as to use the waypoint camera as simply a 'waypoint?' sort of like a roving keyframe in after effects?

Currently I've aligned it to a spline and I'm trying to match it by eye, but with any ease on or off, there's always a noticable pickup point.

Was MatchPrevious Waypoint in any way useful for this? (like match it, then animate that one directly off the last location.)

JULY 6, 2009 9:18 PM

Chris Smith said...

Hi David,

Two things. Have you tried setting the hold value to a negative number? It works both ways. The more negative the hold value the less it considers stopping at that waypoint.

The other thing is if you're close to a final cam move it make be time to bake the keys then just tweak the keys a little.

Next time I get around to it, I'm going to make an easily bakable MoCam. But for now you need to create a new camera and in Xpresso pipe the Global Matrix output of the MoCam render cam (bottom of the hierarchy) and pipe that into the global Matrix input of your new cam. Then bake the new cam. Then key reduce.

JULY 6, 2009 9:36 PM

Circles of Deliusion conversation:

Navarro Parker said...

How is it possible to morph between several DocuCams and/or ActionCams?

I need the random zoom + camera shake. But I can't figure out how to combine those cams and MoCam.

I'd really appreciate some help.

JUNE 28, 2009 12:03 AM

Chris Smith said...

Create a null and add an Xpresso tag on it.

In the Xpresso window grab the last camera in each Action Cam or Docucam and drag it in.

Then drag in any waypoint cams from MoCam you want to use.

Then on the Action/Docucams output create a 'global matrix' port. Then on the Waypoint nodes create a 'global matrix' input port.

Then just link them how you want. So an Actioncam can link to waypoint one and a docucam can link to waypoint 2.

When these are linked, the waypoints do whatever the ActionCam (or any cam of any sort in C4D including a Steadycam) will do.

JUNE 28, 2009 8:08 AM

Chris Smith said...

CS_MoCam is pretty much like 8 easycams linked together.

Just make sure you use the "Target Distance" on the camera correctly or the cam probably won't fly the way you want it to.

As a rule-of-thumb with MoCam, set each Waypoint camera's Target Distance till it reaches out and touches the object of interest.

OCTOBER 27, 2007 3:31 PM

Hi Chris,

I went back and figured out some of the workings of the MoCam tool. Got it to align right (moving the waypoint null only and not the MoCam null).

Your advice about setting in the target distance was invaluable of course (read in another posting).

I wish there were some bias controls in the setup to help adjust the arc of the move as there is in Easy Cam.

I wanted to post the problems I was having so that others can read and get a better sense on how to figure out the MoCam tool.

This is still an amazing invention on your part. Thanks for making it.

Also to get the camera to turn during the hold frames or move in any particular direction.

You have to import a move null, make it that waypoint a child of a move null. Take off infinite.

Zero out all the move null setting except for the direction you want the move null to operate in.

Set small values like 1 or 2%. That will give you a nice smooth move when the camera has reached its hold position.

Set the start time on the move null about 5 frame before your MoCam reaches that waypoint so the move appears continuous.

As I figure out more of the MoCam operations I will post more write ups.

Kevin

Chris Smith wrote:

Yeah, never move the MoCam null or the MoCam render camera. They should always be at (0,0,0). Only the waypoint cams should ever move.

If you move the others it will all get out of whack. The Target Depth settings for each cam do change the bias of the arc quite a bit.

As a rule of thumb , set the target depths out long enough to touch the point of interest and it will orbit around it.

However, from there you can offset the target depths of each waypoint cam to bias the movement differently.