Sign in to follow this  
yoni bendor

worst motionographer job offer ever.

i think a lot of corporations do the drug test thing.. and not only is it broadcast.. but its also motion graphics.. we've all had to work weekends or nights on short notice. this isn't surprising.. the corporate bs on the other hand is pretty weak. at least they're being honest about their unorganized workflow :huh:

I think most station affiliates require a drug test and very very thorough background check. When I was hired at the Detroit NBC affiliate, I had to go through this. They verified every item I listed on my resume, checked my driving record, did a criminal/sex offender background check, and a pee pee test.

Actually, it worked in my favor as I had just met my (then girlfriend) wife, so I handed her my paperwork to prove that I wasn't a creep.

I don't get it. The ONLY thing that is out of the ordinary from this job posting is the drug test. That's just typical NBC/ABC/CBS stuff.

You should be used to the rest of the requirements in the list if you've worked for more than a day in this business!

I don't get it either. It's NBC. Which is part of one of the largest corporations in the universe. You've seen 30 Rock, right?

That being said, some very cool people work over there. Take the heavy sounding corporate language with a grain of salt.

Edited by Steinar

cbs doesn't drug test actually

I don't get it. The ONLY thing that is out of the ordinary from this job posting is the drug test. That's just typical NBC/ABC/CBS stuff.

You should be used to the rest of the requirements in the list if you've worked for more than a day in this business!

There's nothing wrong with drug testing unless you're a cokehead, lol.

Actually, there is something wrong with drug testing, imo. If I enjoy going out on the weekends and getting shitfaced on booze, no one cares. Why then should they care when it's pot instead? The effect lasts roughly the same amount of time. Besides, you'd be fired for coming to work drunk just as quickly as for coming to work stoned. To me it's an invasion of privacy. As for testing for harder drugs, I have the same position but I understand the other sides' argument more so.

Actually, there is something wrong with drug testing, imo. If I enjoy going out on the weekends and getting shitfaced on booze, no one cares. Why then should they care when it's pot instead? The effect lasts roughly the same amount of time. Besides, you'd be fired for coming to work drunk just as quickly as for coming to work stoned. To me it's an invasion of privacy. As for testing for harder drugs, I have the same position but I understand the other sides' argument more so.

It might have something to do with the fact pot is illegal, unless you can show them a medical marijuana prescription.

I see where you're coming from though. Most creative departments at networks I've worked at would lose half their staff if they did drug testing!

I think it's kinda funny that it still doesn't require a college degree. ;)

-m

Or the fact that they specifically require Maya on the Mac platform...

can already imagine them turning down a maya genius only cause he's used to working on its Windows version :-)

you're right, sometimes overtime or weekends IS needed, but you think mentioning it in the job post (alongside drug test and background check) is a good way to attract creative talented people ?

read this post again:

http://motionographer.com/jobs/job/1818/broadcast-designer-at-usa-network/

its made of 4 parts, first one, the intro, is where these potential employers praise themselves.

second part "Essential Responsibilities"

third part "Qualifications/Requirements"

last part "Eligibility Requirements"

what about benefits? a tap on the back? some humor? fun? free lunch? is this what you should be used to if you've worked for more than a day in this business?

sugar-coating is overrated :lol:

It might have something to do with the fact pot is illegal, unless you can show them a medical marijuana prescription.

That's the worst possible argument for drug testing.

There's more stuff illegal then just drugs.

I worked at Microsoft Studios, they didn't require drug testing. They didn't lay in on the heavy corporate lingo BS. I did have to have security clearance, but that's standard for any company that size-

i don't get why people would be so offended by this. If you're planning on working for a company then to an extent you're part of that place, not a rock star. If you freelance, you don't have to answer to anyone other than your clients and yourself....which is completely different.

I don't see what the big deal is. Sounds like any other corporate employer who pays decent wages.

Once your in, nobody really cares. The drug test thing, IMO, just shows that your willing to restrain yourself long enough to find a job. If you don't have enough self-discipline for that... well... gl with life.

Random tests really only happen if they are looking to get rid of certain people or if you operate machinery / hazardous equipment and materials (insurance requirements).

Every company is different I suppose... Some divisions of the company I work for (large corporation) require drug tests while others do not.

** The background check thing does become a little intrusive though... I had to go through it as well. It was unbelievable how much they come back with. Not just a criminal background check either. They knew what my last w-2 was.. saw that I had a colorful adolescence (no convictions though), and I had to jump through a million hoops because I was a month off in my answer to when I graduated college. They grilled me hardcore for that, like I was lying about it... After they run a background check you have to pretty much go through another interview with HR.. only it feels like an interrogation.

Also, many places do random alcohol screening at the workplace. In fact, my drug test included a breath test to see if had taken a drink that morning. Boy, the world has come a long way from Sterling Cooper.

You guys are fucking insane. The US is the only 1st world country that does things like this on this extend.

Ironically, it sits comfortly high on the international list of drugs & alcohol related abuse, as well as crime (even with those precentages of incarceration).

What's wrong with this picture? If you figure that out, you're on the way of doing some socio-economic improving.

hi all ;-)

this job offer for usa network was posted today in motionographer

Eligibility Requirements:

Willingness to travel and work overtime, and on weekends with short notice

Must be willing to work in New York, NY

Must be willing to take drug test and submit to a background investigation

Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States

Must be 18 years or older

<snip>

is this a dream job or what? you get to work overtime and weekends on a short notice, take a drug test and have a background investigation and if you'll insist hard enough - they'll even shove 3 fingers up your @#$@#$ - all of which is just what it takes to get your creative juices flowing!

who wants to apply?

i think you're blowing this out of proportion.

they are (and part of) a major public company.

they're up front about the overtime/weekend work and that it's short notice. (some people, especially junior artists don't mind) however, if there isn't at least straight time compensation on those weekend days (like they want you to work 6th & 7th day but only pay you for 5) or they're not properly paying overtime, then F That.

"must be willing" to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation. my experience with this is they will run a credit check on you, you will have to sign something that will allow them to do this when you apply for the job. if the positions are higher management/executive, you might have to be investigated, to make sure you aren't a financial risk (will you steal, embezzle, etc). and my experience for drug testing is i've never done it and i've worked at most of the major film/television studio as an employee.

they make no illusion that it will be a demanding job and i think that the listing is written in such a way to weed out the people who don't seriously want to work there.

Edited by alba

You guys are fucking insane. The US is the only 1st world country that does things like this on this extend.

Ironically, it sits comfortly high on the international list of drugs & alcohol related abuse, as well as crime (even with those precentages of incarceration).

What's wrong with this picture? If you figure that out, you're on the way of doing some socio-economic improving.

You're absolutely right! we embrace & support alcoholism, while condemning other substances that can actually be beneficial, & much less harmful in the long run. Not to mention much more viable for the economy. That being said, Large corporations are "large corporations" no matter what country you live in. I've never been tested or screened while working in smaller shops.

I've never been tested in one of the largest mediacompanies of the world, 'cause over here that would be unacceptable.

We did have to fill out all kinds of US anti-corruption forms. Wich nobody really took that serious.