Sign in to follow this  
Kokosing

Migrating to AE from Shake

I've finally decided to move my compositing work to After Effects (until now I've done all my comping and simple 2D work in Shake). In due time I want to do more with AE, but for now I'm looking for some learning materials that cover standard production techniques in AE. As an example, I want to drop a 3D object with Alpha over a video background, and match the colors. Has anyone seen any good books or DVDs which take an experienced artist through AE's tools?

Thanks,

W

Man.. thats like.. a complete 180 right there. You almost never hear of someone transitioning from node based to layerbased. Haha. Everyone I've ever talked to has started out with AE and moved up to node based workflows. Lucky for you, there's an abundance of free video tutorials for after effects, where as its a little more scarce for the node comping programs.

Good luck! Another great resource you should check out is http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/. Lots of node based compositors there who also know AE and can help you out quickly. I'm a regular over there as well.

Thanks, Dan. That book looks like the perfect choice.

Dotcommer, I know what you mean. I love node based, and in time I hope to get into Nuke. But I'm a C4D user and it seems employers expect AE skills as a matter of course.

Cheers folks,

W