Sign in to follow this  
deceasar

I think I've made up my mind to get the Mark II

So I've been going back and forth it seems for the last 9 months on whether or not to get the 5D Mark II, to get the 7D or to wait for scarlet. I've pretty much talked myself out of the scarlet because of the price. It's just not something I can afford right now in life. Hopefully the company I work for will get that. Then I've gone back and forth between the 7D and the 5D and now that they updated the firmware just recently so the 5D can shoot 24p I think I'm ready to take the plunge and also because of the full frame sensor.

I'm not going to buy it mainly for video either. I wanted to upgrade from my Canon 30D anyways because photography is something I really enjoy in my spare time.

Any Last Thoughts?

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the Mark II that makes you want to splurge and get that instead of the T2i / 500D? The T2i seems like a much better return for the money, but I've never actually compared them side-by-side.

The new firmware for the 5D makes it a really good option. No agc, and 24p.

I really wish they would do this for the 7D (the camera I have). This will sound ridiculous, and maybe it is, but the dedicated video start/stop button is really nice. Id hate to have to dig around in the menus every time I wanted to shoot some video, but thats probably just me trying to keep my camera relevant now that it got smoked by the 5d....

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the Mark II that makes you want to splurge and get that instead of the T2i / 500D? The T2i seems like a much better return for the money, but I've never actually compared them side-by-side.

A lot of is the full frame sensor. Whenever I use to play around with my buddies 5D the full frame sensor was just amazing.

And now that they have updated the firmware I'm pretty much sold. I also have a 17-40 L series piece of glass that I'm really

excited to use without the 1.6x crop.

I love photography just as much as taking video so I see double plus signs.

OKay...

I freaking did it. I was so nervous. I was in the camera shop ( the girl wasn't very helpful, kinda pushy and rude but I wasn't there for her) all nervous. I mean that's a lot of cash.

Anyways the battery is charging as we speak. I'm so excited to get the new firmware on it.

Anyways. Thanks for your input guys.

Now I need a new CF card. Mine is a lexar 1 gigger.

DO EET!

I also have a 30D, probably will pick up a 5D II instead of the 7D, for all the same reasons you are mentioning.

I have a 30D but the shutter busted when someone accidentally dropped it.

Edited by pizzamangood

.. the girl wasn't very helpful.... all nervous. I mean that's a lot of cash.

That always happens the first time.\

On the card, get the Lexar 32gb on Amazon, it`s only 8o bucks, and no complains,

Congrats, now go shoot something :)

That always happens the first time.\

On the card, get the Lexar 32gb on Amazon, it`s only 8o bucks, and no complains,

Congrats, now go shoot something :)

Sweet. Yeah I've been trying to figure out what card to get. Not sure how fast of card I really need.

I have a 1gb lexar at the moment.

Here's a couple tests I did guys. So far I'm defiantly looking into building some sort of camera stabilizer to get away from the rolling shutter but honestly, I think it looks pretty good. I converted the files from the mark II with media encoder and then compressed it for web with quicklime pro.

anyways.

I'm super excited.

http://vimeo.com/10424486

http://vimeo.com/10439620

Defocused pelvic thrust wins. hahaha.

I'm surprised by the audio quality. Did you have an external mic, or is that from the camera its self?

My friend just got a 7D, and we're thinking about building a DIY version of the merlin steadicam (

). Not sure yet if we want to make it out of wood, or an aluminum framing or what. Edited by dotcommer

I've got 54,000 clicks on my 20D and don't have the money to get that 7D yet, but that's what I'm looking for. Since I'm budget-minded with my lenses and use my 10-22 EF-S a lot, I'm happy with the APS-C sensor.

We have a Merlin here and one of the guys takes it for use with his Rebel T1i, but it's a little too much rig for such a light camera. He's been playing around with a few indie rig ideas but I don't think he's come up with a magic solution yet.

Cf

Congrats on the purchase. I've gone back and forth since buying the 7D, wondering if I would've been better off with the 5D.

One cheap/easy way I've found to combat the shaky effect from handholding these cameras is to mount it on a Gorillapod and bend two of the arms back so they rest on the top of your arm and bend the third arm so it rests on the underside of your arm and grip it like a pistol. I've recently purchased the z-finder and when combined with the Gorillapod you're really able to get some nice, steady handheld shots.

Defocused pelvic thrust wins. hahaha.

I'm surprised by the audio quality. Did you have an external mic, or is that from the camera its self?

That was all the camera mic. I was also very surprised at the audio quality.

I really need to build some sort of rig for it. I've been thinking about a follow focus too. I'm pretty sure my next purchase though is going to be a 32gb cf card.

Mine is filling up so fast. I think I can record like 2-3 minute's of video or something on my 1gb and that is getting really old.

I have to say again I'm very surprised also looking at the h264 footage coming straight from the camera.

I really thought from what I've seen before that the compression would be more visible. It looks great, especially when your shooting in low iso modes.

I have a buddy who is also in the same market. I think I might push him to get the 7D just for 60fps.

But as as far as my choice preference I chose full frame over the 60fps and so far I'm happy I did. It makes my 17-40mm shine.

I have more tests I've been shooting that I'll upload soon.

Edited by pizzamangood

That was all the camera mic. I was also very surprised at the audio quality.

I really need to build some sort of rig for it. I've been thinking about a follow focus too. I'm pretty sure my next purchase though is going to be a 32gb cf card.

Mine is filling up so fast. I think I can record like 2-3 minute's of video or something on my 1gb and that is getting really old.

I have to say again I'm very surprised also looking at the h264 footage coming straight from the camera.

I really thought from what I've seen before that the compression would be more visible. It looks great, especially when your shooting in low iso modes.

I have a buddy who is also in the same market. I think I might push him to get the 7D just for 60fps.

But as as far as my choice preference I chose full frame over the 60fps and so far I'm happy I did. It makes my 17-40mm shine.

I have more tests I've been shooting that I'll upload soon.

You just made me think about getting one too! its infectious!!! argh!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/10472124

this video is just another compiled montage but with music.

here's a a .MOV file straight from my mark II. It was getting dark but still a little light. with my 17-40mm f4. I think I shot this at 1600 iso but I'm not sure. It might of been at 800 iso

anyways feel free to download it for reviewing purposes.

http://www.mediafire.com/?mwohzfmmyyt

47mb downoad.

I bought a 550D to dick around with, maybe do some personal projects. The footage holds up remarkably well in CC.

Still waiting on mine to ship. COME ON AMAZON!

The final episode of HOUSE M.D. this season is entirely shot with 5D MKII cameras.

It airs on Monday, May 17th.

I got a T2i to play around with & it's pretty nice. Great for DOF.

I hate the horizontal aliasing & color moire & it's a PIA to focus. like this article says comparing it to EX1: http://www.xdcam-user.com/?p=704

But it's not a camera for every job & you just work around its limitations.

Stu has 2 good articles about shooting it flat & CC in post:

http://prolost.com/blog/2009/8/3/flatten-your-5d.html

http://prolost.com/blog/2010/1/26/color-correcting-canon-7d-footage.html

Guest Sao_Bento

I had a 550D to play around with for awhile, but I traded it in and upgraded to the 5D MkII. I'm sure the video between the 550D and the 7D are close, but the difference between the 550D and the 5D MkII is amazing (to me anyway). Maybe it's just the difference between aps-c and a full size sensor that I'm seeing, but I'm quite impressed. I'll miss the 60p for slow motion, but I welcome the higher bit rate of the 5D. I'm also using a Fotodiox adapter for my Nikor prime lenses. Works great on both the 550D and the 5D.

I just booked a photo shoot that'll pay for a 7D, so I'm extremely excited. I'm really not planning on doing much with the video part of the camera, but who knows? I've been looking to upgrade my 20D for a long time but it wasn't until the 7D that they made the significant upgrades that I wanted in the viewfinder and other things. The 30-40-50D were incremental, but the 7D looks just like what I've been waiting for.

I try to keep photography just a hobby and not work, but when it's time to get new gear the fastest way to do so is to have the old stuff make some money.

Cf

I had a 550D to play around with for awhile, but I traded it in and upgraded to the 5D MkII. I'm sure the video between the 550D and the 7D are close, but the difference between the 550D and the 5D MkII is amazing (to me anyway). Maybe it's just the difference between aps-c and a full size sensor that I'm seeing, but I'm quite impressed. I'll miss the 60p for slow motion, but I welcome the higher bit rate of the 5D. I'm also using a Fotodiox adapter for my Nikor prime lenses. Works great on both the 550D and the 5D.

Do you get any vignetting on the outer areas of the image when you use Nikon lenses with a Canon camera?