Sign in to follow this  
Duder

CS5

I went to an adobe demo last week where they were showing off some new features, they went heavy on premiere and its new playback features etc. Didn't show much on AFX they did say that most of the effort has gone towards improving stability and performance (no bad thing, photoshop was all gimmicky crap) as well as making it 64bit native.

What I really wanted to know was whether the stability has improved when working with high res sources and outputs and if some of this mercury improved playback tech is going to mean faster previews in AFX and stable open GL implementation. Ram preview did seem to be pretty speedy during the demo but whether that translates to real life use remains to be seen.

Edited by magictea

All that has been publicly announced so far is the conversion to a 64-bit application. Stay tuned for more information on April 12th.

I have been working with the 64-bit version, and I can say that it is much faster, much more stable, and much better to work with.

The ability of After Effects to use large amounts of RAM per process provides several advantages:

* You can render much larger compositionsboth for preview and for final outputwith larger frame sizes and larger source files.

* RAM previews can be much longer.

* You can work with higher color bit depths without encountering memory limitations.

* After Effects can cache more items, which reduces the frequency with which frames and components of frames are re-rendered.

Oh, and Mercury has nothing to do with After Effects. That's just Premiere Pro for now.

Edited by Todd Kopriva

Thanks for the reply Todd. I'm sure I speak for most people when I say that if all CS5 brings to the table is 64bit and improved stability and performance that would be considered a massive win. Any accelerated preview features would always be greatly appreciated though ;)

Anyone know if popular plugins (ie RSMB) will carry an upgrade charge to work with CS5? I'm about to buy a license but don't want to pay for an upgrade 2 months after buying the 32bit version.

Anyone know if popular plugins (ie RSMB) will carry an upgrade charge to work with CS5? I'm about to buy a license but don't want to pay for an upgrade 2 months after buying the 32bit version.

Ask the folks who make the plug-in. Each company may have different policies and plans.

Here's what Michael Coleman has to say about 64-bit plug-ins.

* You can render much larger compositions—both for preview and for final output—with larger frame sizes and larger source files.

* You can work with higher color bit depths without encountering memory limitations.

Tears of joy, Todd. TEARS OF JOY.

I'm currently trying to render out ~1000 AE projects, probably 10% of them failing with memory errors due to a combination of bit depth and source sizes. CS5 can't come soon enough.

... any chance I can get in on the beta? If nothing else, I can promise to put it through its paces :P

Exciting times! I wonder if AE will sport more 3D functionality! Hope so, kinda looks like they're gearing in that direction.

I put in a feature request for handling the camera controls with keyboard hold shortcuts like C4D, hopefully getting around 3D scenes is handled better than cycling through controls with one freakin button (I use a wacom and have one of the thumb switches to toggle screens so I couldn't care less about 3 button mouse thing)

Thanks for the reply Todd. I'm sure I speak for most people when I say that if all CS5 brings to the table is 64bit and improved stability and performance that would be considered a massive win. Any accelerated preview features would always be greatly appreciated though ;)

Yes indeed.

I doubt it's shipping on 4/12. The page says "counting down to your first look at CS5"

The new content-aware fill in PS looks sweet!

I'll be waiting a month or so anyway, got some deadlines I don't fancy risking. That PS vid is cool, I hear the selection tools have got a big upgrade too

Meh... All these new features are for the noob IMO. I have a feeling they will have as much use in the real world as the tragic wand does.

I only ask that PS UI is left the way it is for the most part so I can get in and out as fast as possible.

Meh... All these new features are for the noob IMO. I have a feeling they will have as much use in the real world as the tragic wand does.

I only ask that PS UI is left the way it is for the most part so I can get in and out as fast as possible.

Believe it or not I'm using the magic wand in a PS action setup at the minute to quickly create & stack up alpha mattes in a big hand-drawn fbf project I'm doing...

I'd be happy if I didn't feel nervous dragging layers above and below each other in fear of an imminent crash. I never did solve that in 18 months of searching. The one new thing I do like from CS4 is the rotate-hand-canvassy thing. I use a wacom so being able to shift the page to the arc of my wrist.

All these new features are for the noob IMO.

I agree, a lot of stuff in the last two four releases seems like it was targeted at hobbyists & consumers. Pros that need performance got ignored.

I am excited about the CUDA GPU acceleration for Encore Premiere though. I wonder if this will also be in AE, since it seems to also be a part of Media Encoder. This would be a HUUUUUGGGEEE help.

If that turns out to be bunk.... royally pissed off would be an understatement of how I will feel.

Edited by AromaKat

I am excited about the CUDA GPU acceleration for Encore though. I wonder if this will also be in AE

The CUDA acceleration that has been announced for Premiere Pro (as one component of the Mercury playback engine) is not part of After Effects.

lame.

But to be clear, I meant to say Premiere, not Encore, in the first line, and my second line above was still referring to Premiere Pro.

CUDA in AE would be a bonus, but its Premiere that I really want it in. Its really an un-usable application as it currently stands, and would love to have premiere actually... ahem... work???.

I have high hopes for this in Premiere.

Edited by AromaKat

I saw someone mention (on another site) that CS5 was going to be Snow Leopard only. Of course it was a commenter on another site, which doesn't seem credible in my book. I couldn't find this anywhere else, but can any of you (Todd, specifically) shed some light on that? I'm about ready to upgrade before starting a couple of new animated cartoons on my Octo running 10.5.

Cf