Sign in to follow this  
Duder

CS5

I saw someone mention (on another site) that CS5 was going to be Snow Leopard only. Of course it was a commenter on another site, which doesn't seem credible in my book. I couldn't find this anywhere else, but can any of you (Todd, specifically) shed some light on that?

That's false.

What, you don't all subscribe to my blog? ;)

Here's a post from yesterday in which I go into tedious detail about what operating systems After Effects CS5 will run on.

Thanks for the reply Todd. I'm sure I speak for most people when I say that if all CS5 brings to the table is 64bit and improved stability and performance that would be considered a massive win. Any accelerated preview features would always be greatly appreciated though ;)

This almost sounds like a description of Snow Leopard over Leopard, and if the upgrade was similarly priced I would wholeheartedly agree. But for several hundred $$$ I expect a lot more than fixing what was broken with the previous release(s) - that's what .5 releases are for. But thanks to the wonderful Creative Suite there's no such thing to Adobe, and regardless of how long a given application really requires to significantly improve, they all get released together. AE CS4 was basically not a 9 but an 8.5 release. The fact that the marketing guys had to resort to singing about one new filter and bundling another company's software ought to be evidence enough of that. I just don't think it's a very customer-centric business model for most of us. Adobe know that pretty much every designer needs Photoshop and Illustrator, so they make the individual prices of those two SO high that for 75% of us it makes no sense to not buy a suite. I don't call this a benevolent monopoly so far... but maybe CS5 will surprise me.

I hate making the wrong decissions...just got me a new pc last month and had to choose between the geForce gtx 285 and the more pricey quadro fx 1800. Given the fact that the quadros are labeled "professional" I assumed that the mercury engine is only going to support quadros. Went with the quadro, and now it seems the cheaper geForce supports mercury engine, but my damn "professional" quadro does not. great!

Oh, and the pricing in europe compared to US is just a joke! But it is not like we´re not used to it.

Edited by dom2000

Great pricing again Adobe - a full £200 cheaper for US users over UK users. W*nkers (not Todd obviously ;) ).

Where's the pricing? What am I looking at for an upgrade on master collection from CS4? *Edit.. oh my, £1500. Screw that for a while. Thats absurd

Aside from the 64bit etc.. the little workflow things are way more important than the 'big' announcements. Main thing for me (I actually put a feature request in, so if that helped then great).. is the option to hold modifiers (shift, cmd, right click) with that damn unified camera tool like C4D (like 1,2,3 for pan rotate etc.)

Mask selection is easier apparently so thats cool, live previews like photoshop. Will be nice to see all this in action. Holding my tongue on the roto brush thing, seems it will be like that car advery where the guy just clicks on the fly and dirt to remove everything with a couple of clicks.. we'll see haha

Edited by froj

If I have Cs4 master.. can i use the 'upgrade' payment option and pay £250 for only the after effects upgrade? Could really do with that 64bit speed (I'll see if everyone is amazed with it as we're assuming) but while that content aware fill looked pretty space aged in photoshop I think I'm good with the rest of the suite. Illustrator will probably just get more bloated aswell..

No - that would mean that you would lose the rest of the suite and upgrade AE.

I'll guard the box with a cleaver, can't take it away! Damn, that's weak

Great pricing again Adobe - a full £200 cheaper for US users over UK users. W*nkers (not Todd obviously ;) ).

Doesn't your guys' VAT figure into this? Don't worry, now that the US government has spent us into staggering debt, they're starting to talk VAT too. Then our prices will go up and we can ALL get screwed together :)

Cf

Man, I can't think of a better argument for Apple to not like Flash than to experience the Adobe site right now. Every part of it is frickin' annoying. It's like talking to a salesperson who is screaming about all the cool! options in your face when you're just asking for a simple breakdown of what is new.

Thanks Adobe. Your software may be better, but I can't tell because your lack of design sense is giving me a headache. Next time, try to go for clarity over gee-whiz.

I try.

Does anyone have any questions about the After Effects CS5 features?

Not a question for you really.. but could you point me in the right direction to confirm that what Dan_hin said about not being able to upgrade components of my CS4 master collection to CS5 (ie. just after effects). Wasn't made aware of this when I bought it and now it seems I shot myself in the foot having to upgrade a ton of stuff I don't use very often?

Edited by froj