Sign in to follow this  
Duder

CS5

Does anyone have any questions about the After Effects CS5 features?

Here's one, I have a feeling I know the answer however... When Cinema went 64bit you also have the option to open in 32bit mode, which allowed all the previously compatible plug-ins to still function. As some houses are going to take a while to update, and the upgrade is going to leave a TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR hole in my pocket (jesus Adobe, what's wrong with you? Not you Todd ;-) ), which is going to leave limited funds for updating plugins, can we still run AE in 32bit mode and have access to legacy plugins?

Thanks - Chris

Here's one, I have a feeling I know the answer however... When Cinema went 64bit you also have the option to open in 32bit mode, which allowed all the previously compatible plug-ins to still function. As some houses are going to take a while to update, and the upgrade is going to leave a TWO THOUSAND DOLLAR hole in my pocket (jesus Adobe, what's wrong with you? Not you Todd ;-) ), which is going to leave limited funds for updating plugins, can we still run AE in 32bit mode and have access to legacy plugins?

Thanks - Chris

Chris that's a huge point. When I mentioned the upgrade requirements to my line manager (Our office runs 32/64bit xp and a couple of PPC-based Macs) he practically had a heart attack.

So why the difference in US/EU prices?

And why the download version is at the same price as the box version?

Edited by jan

Thanks - Chris

If I'm reading the Adobe site correctly, the answer to this question is a little weird. AE CS5 is strictly 64-bit, no fallback for legacy support. But if you're buying/upgrading the Master Suite, it actually comes with both AE CS4 and AE CS5. If it detects your computer isn't 64-bit, it'll install CS4. Not sure about the other suites. I think that makes it pretty clear that we won't see any 32bit legacy support in AE.

Update: Found a reference to this from Chris and Trish:

You must be running a 64-bit OS, or AE CS5 won’t even install. (If you install Adobe CS5 Master Collection on a computer with a 32-bit OS, After Effects and Premiere Pro CS4 will be installed instead.)
Edited by Aaron Scott

If I'm reading the Adobe site correctly, the answer to this question is a little weird. AE CS5 is strictly 64-bit, no fallback for legacy support. But if you're buying/upgrading the Master Suite, it actually comes with both AE CS4 and AE CS5. If it detects your computer isn't 64-bit, it'll install CS4. Not sure about the other suites. I think that makes it pretty clear that we won't see any 32bit legacy support in AE.

This is interesting, I hadn't spotted that. I wonder how that pans out with secondary installations? I think Adobe usage permits each Suite to be installed on two machines; if one is 64bit and one isn't can I install CS5 on one machine and CS4 on another?

One situation I'm worried about is where an existing client comes back with some minor amends to an existing project which is happening more and more - what if that project requires a plug-in that's no longer available? Cinema has this one right, you can keep the previous version installed during the transitionary period. But I doubt Adobe's beloved activation mechanism will allow that situation to occur...

Not a question for you really.. but could you point me in the right direction to confirm that what Dan_hin said about not being able to upgrade components of my CS4 master collection to CS5 (ie. just after effects). Wasn't made aware of this when I bought it and now it seems I shot myself in the foot having to upgrade a ton of stuff I don't use very often?

I don't actually know the details of how the upgrades and installers work from suites. I'll find out, though.

That was considered, but there are at least two problems with such a plan. One is that this greatly increases development and testing time, so developing and testing a 32-bit version would've meant far fewer features in CS5. Another problem is that the 32-bit version wouldn't have gotten many (any?) of the performance improvements of CS5, which is a huge part of After Effects CS5.

If you want to ask more about strategy decisions like this, I encourage you to go over to Michael Coleman's blog. He is the "why" guy. I just tell you how to use what's there.

No one currently participating on this thread is in a position to answer these questions. See my previous responses about taking these questions to Michael Coleman's blog.

Update: Found a reference to this from Chris and Trish:

Chris and Trish get their information from me. Here's my page that mentions it:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/CS5/Using/WS725e431141e7ba651172e081269b09b0d6-8000.html

One situation I'm worried about is where an existing client comes back with some minor amends to an existing project which is happening more and more - what if that project requires a plug-in that's no longer available? Cinema has this one right, you can keep the previous version installed during the transitionary period. But I doubt Adobe's beloved activation mechanism will allow that situation to occur...

I have CS4 and CS5 and CS3 co-existing on one machine (the one I'm typing on). It works fine as long as you install in order. If you install CS4 after CS5, you're hosed.

Edited by Todd Kopriva

I have CS4 and CS5 and CS3 co-existing one one machine (the one I'm typing on). It works fine as long as you install in order. If you install CS4 after CS5, you're hosed.

Got it, thanks - and that's an answer to the 32/64 bit question too, as long as I can keep CS3 up and running then I'm good to go.

Edit - just checked my license, it seems Adobe is quite agreeable for a change ;-)

Purchasing an upgrade to your product extends your existing license to cover the new version of our software

The way I read that means if I buy CS5 then I still have a valid CS3 license for as long as I want, which fixes my problem with existing clients' work

Edited by ChrisC

Thanks todd would be appreciated. The fact that you can install CS5 over CS4 gives a glimmer that I could upgrade just AE and run that alongside everything else... Not in the position to spend that much money on everything now but would be more than willing to buy AE CS5. Fingers crossed

Does Rotobrush work like the Quick Selection tool in PS? same engine & accuracy?

They're related, but the technology in the Roto Brush effect is quite different in many ways. The Roto Brush effect sees across time in a way that the Photoshop Quick Select tool has no sense of. The really great and new part of Roto Brush is the temporal coherence (i.e., the consistency across time that prevents chatter). The Refine Matte part of the feature is also similar to the Truer Edge feature in Photoshop, but again with some video-related pieces.

The Photoshop folks have it easy. Doing something on a still image is relatively easy, compared with doing something on 30 frames per second and having the result consistent across time. ;)

Yes.

Most of the plug-in makers are done already, and many more are almost done.

Nice!

Also, it's probably online on the Adobe site, but all apps are 64bit? Illustrator and Photoshop too?

I think Adobe usage permits each Suite to be installed on two machines; if one is 64bit and one isn't can I install CS5 on one machine and CS4 on another?

This is a good point. If I purchase an upgrade then can I only install two copies of CS whatever on the machines I use? For example can I put CS3 on my G5 and CS5 on my two intel macs or do I need two licences (being a sole trader, not an option)?

Chris and Trish get their information from me.

Ha ha perhaps one of the best rebuttals I've seen. so are you evangelist Todd or just regular Todd. :) thanks for the insight

This is a good point. If I purchase an upgrade then can I only install two copies of CS whatever on the machines I use? For example can I put CS3 on my G5 and CS5 on my two intel macs or do I need two licences (being a sole trader, not an option)?

I don't know licensing and upgrade policies in enough detail and with enough certainty to answer that. I'll try to get an answer, though. It may take a few days, since we're in the middle of NAB.

Also, it's probably online on the Adobe site, but all apps are 64bit? Illustrator and Photoshop too?

Illustrator, no. Phototoshop, After Effects, Premiere Pro, and Adobe Media Encoder, yes.

Of course, a 32-bit application can run on a 64-bit OS; it just can't see more than a tiny amount of RAM, etc.

UK Production Premium Upgrade from CS4 - Ship the Box = £606.30

UK Production Premium Upgrade from CS4 - Download = £624.36

So much for the internet saving the rainforest.