Sign in to follow this  
Duder

CS5

UK Production Premium Upgrade from CS4 - Ship the Box = £606.30

UK Production Premium Upgrade from CS4 - Download = £624.36

So much for the internet saving the rainforest.

That literally makes no sense. Is bandwidth more expensive than shipping now? Mustn't have put petrol up enough in the budget this year...

Wow the guy presenting the production suite has just been added to my list of people that I would punch really hard in the side of the head should I win the lottery and have the funds to go on a world tour of punching really annoying people in the side of the head.

Wow the guy presenting the production suite has just been added to my list of people that I would punch really hard in the side of the head should I win the lottery and have the funds to go on a world tour of punching really annoying people in the side of the head.

You don't have to be rich. Just immortal. And for added effect you should make sure to carry a clipboard and check off the name of every person you do it to right after you do it.

Here's a post from yesterday in which I go into tedious detail about what operating systems After Effects CS5 will run on.

Hey Todd - thanks for this post, detail is good ;-) Is there any preference between OSX 10.5 and 10.6 as far as AE is concerned? I'm happy with 10.5 and would rather stick with it if all other things are equal. Cheers!

Todd, are the cycore plugins being updated for CS5?

The ones that are bundled with After Effects have already been updated. Check the Cycore website for their plans about the others. There's also a link to Sebastien Perier's website at the bottom of this page, where he's keeping track of who releases what when and for how much.

Hey Todd - thanks for this post, detail is good ;-) Is there any preference between OSX 10.5 and 10.6 as far as AE is concerned? I'm happy with 10.5 and would rather stick with it if all other things are equal. Cheers!

Mac OSX 10.5.7 is the minimum for After Effects.

Premiere Pro is a different story. The CUDA acceleration feature in Premiere Pro only works on 10.6.3 or later.

Sorry, I just went back through the store and realised it's *only* £900 for me to upgrade from CS4 not £1500 - missed the dropdown to select which version I have. Don't worry about the AE only upgrade question from me (unless anyone else is interested). I guess I can live with that in a couple of months.

I wonder if you can renumber artboards in Illustrator once you've created them? Gonna see if I can find an AI upgrade list..

*edit - slightly weird reason for the shipping.download price difference is that it's free shipping til may 12. Still not sure why the download is MORE but it explains why it's not less.

Edited by froj

Mac OSX 10.5.7 is the minimum for After Effects.

Premiere Pro is a different story. The CUDA acceleration feature in Premiere Pro only works on 10.6.3 or later.

Great, thanks for the info - good old Leopard still going strong. Maybe this is how Adobe could get back at Apple without annoying its users - just keep on supporting ageing hardware & legacy OSX and I need never buy a MacPro again ;)

I only just signed up with this website, so I can't say how reliable it is, but for those in the UK considering an early purchase TopCashback are offering 12% off all Adobe products. You have to pay full price and then claim your discount back later and I'm guessing it's not always a rapid process. But if you were about to pay full price, there's nothing to lose.

I only just signed up with this website, so I can't say how reliable it is, but for those in the UK considering an early purchase TopCashback are offering 12% off all Adobe products. You have to pay full price and then claim your discount back later and I'm guessing it's not always a rapid process. But if you were about to pay full price, there's nothing to lose.

Cool, looks like a win win. I have no idea how they make money but If they bring my upgrade price down £100 and I get it as a nice surprise in a few weeks then looks cool. Did you place your order yet?

Here's a post from yesterday in which I go into tedious detail about what operating systems After Effects CS5 will run on.

Thanks for the tip - especially for me at home. I've been wanting to upgrade my Canon 20D since...well, 2006. Photography for me is a hobby, not a money maker, and I have two little toddlers, so a new camera hasn't been a possibility. I just booked a photo shoot that'll pay for a 7D, but I'm on CS2 at home and it won't read the raw files. Since you pointed out that CS5 is 64 bit Windows, and I'm not getting a new computer in the near future, I snagged a CS4 upgrade of Photoshop on Sunday night so I'll have the ACR capabilities I want :) After the shoot's over I can go back to being a hobbyist again.

Cf

Anyone know if you're gonna be able to save down to older version in After Effects?

You've never been able to do this yet and so I doubt they would introduce that now, and I've not read of it in the new features. On a similar topic, I did read that CS5 will only open .aep's saved with v.6.5 or higher though, so any ancient projects you have would need to be opened and resaved in CS4 first.

I've never found the lack of legacy support to be a huge problem. Figure out what your collaborator's or employer's (or employee's) are using and use the version that works best. If I needed to use a tool that came in CS4, and work with CS3 on another machine, you simply have to modularise the workflow somehow or upgrade. My guess is that a lot of studios will be a little slow to upgrade to CS5 because of the additional delay and cost associated with 3rd party plug-ins. Up until quite recently I was being asked to work in CS3 by some places.

You've never been able to do this yet and so I doubt they would introduce that now, and I've not read of it in the new features. On a similar topic, I did read that CS5 will only open .aep's saved with v.6.5 or higher though, so any ancient projects you have would need to be opened and resaved in CS4 first.

I've never found the lack of legacy support to be a huge problem. Figure out what your collaborator's or employer's (or employee's) are using and use the version that works best. If I needed to use a tool that came in CS4, and work with CS3 on another machine, you simply have to modularise the workflow somehow or upgrade. My guess is that a lot of studios will be a little slow to upgrade to CS5 because of the additional delay and cost associated with 3rd party plug-ins. Up until quite recently I was being asked to work in CS3 by some places.

With that in mind - with the 'upgrade' purchase can CS5 be installed over the top of CS4 like Todd was saying as long as it's activated in the right order (ie I don't uninstall CS4) or is that only possible with the standalone?

Just incase everyone doesn't get redgiant emails - they're doing a 30% off sale til the weekend (So $630 / £400 for the trapcode full suite) - any purchases will be upgraded to CS5 for free when available. Just been on RSMB, their upates look like they'll be free aswell. I don't think I use anything else apart from lenscare..

Can't seem to dig up information on this: is Windows Server 2008 R2 an officially supported OS? I assume it would be, but everything I find just says Windows 7 64. It's the same code base, so I shouldn't run into any issues regardless, but official support is nice (and I've run into trouble more than once where a program has told me it requires Windows 7 and won't run, which is ludicrous).