Sign in to follow this  
shmo

Portfolio

Hello wonderfull people,

What are the options for hosting you portfolio. Has anyone had experience using any of these?

Square space

Wordpress

index exhibit

cargo

Ideally having a curtom url

Cheers

Hello wonderfull people,

What are the options for hosting you portfolio. Has anyone had experience using any of these?

Square space

Wordpress

index exhibit

cargo

Ideally having a curtom url

Cheers

Indexhibit is really straight forward, easy to handle although it lacks the "thumbnail" gallery that Cargo has, making it more appealing to browse through, Cargo on the other hand has the "thumbnail" gallery but its sitting on a remote server, for instance if their server falls your website goes with it too, no back end controls (css, html etc) if they decide to raise their prices - you will have to pay (happend a few months ago) its still very useful and it looks great.

CoreCMS is also a nice option its almost a mixture of Indexhibit and Cargo, it has the visual thumbnail gallery yet it gives you the back-end controls over your website, the css, etc, something cargo doesn't do yet its a bit more complicated than both Cargo and Indexhibit.

Regarding the rest, never tried squarespace or wordpress...

I set up a simple squarespace last week in about 3 hours with custom domain (from namecheap.com)... I'd recommend using one of the domain providers they have tutorials for setting up on the site as I'm totally web illiterate so had to do a little digging around to find the correct setting for redirecting http://mattfrodsham.com aswell as http://www.mattfrodsham.com

The wysiwyg editor is really nice, sliders adjust type, spacing, leading etc. and you can set up galleries, host videos or embed vimeos like mine. Need to sort my reel out now but needed to throw one up quick and cheap last week for seomthing and it did what I needed

Matt

Edited by froj

I use cargo (will be redesigning next month, sorry for the void that is there atm hehe) and love it. I was a beta tester and bought a subscription once it came out. What I like most is the customer support -- I get a response within 24 hours at the latest...most of the time within a few hours. Squarespace seems interesting, hadn't heard of it before. 

Out of all the above, I would vote cargo for our purposes.

But it seems very limited in the realm of customization. I think it is dangerous to have your site identical to another mographer's when sending out reels. I always delete responses from potential vendors when I suspect template usage, even if its the site.

I say go Joomla or something... and hire a web guy to turn your designs into reality. From there, you can update the content through the CMS, just like the sites listed above.

Or maybe I'm just a Nazi like that.