Sign in to follow this  
dotcommer

ReelRoulette

http://www.reelroulette.net

Check it out. I think its an awesome idea. I just happened to see it on motionographer.

I'd love to see a filtering of it, so you could get a random reel in a specific location to help narrow down your searches. Its not always helpful to find an awesome artist, who's on the other side of the world when you need to do collaboration.

Thanks for the link and the feedback.

We are planning on search and some filtering options soon. We should be launching features as we go.

We hope that it will be a place where people get hired and show off their work.

Thanks again,

Nick

Some feedback:

1. Seems like you can vote as many times as you want on the same reel.

2. You can vote without even watching the reel.

Edited by ESC

Nexted 30+

Liked 2

Some pointers for submitters:

-work on your type skills

-work on your composition (not compositing)

-don't say you're 'creative'.

-nobody cares about the 10+ software packages you can use

Did i already mention to work on your type skills?

Totally totally agree except for the Software part. The specific software and skill keywords will come in handy when we turn search on.

Great tips!

Nexted 30+

Liked 2

Some pointers for submitters:

-work on your composition (not compositing)

-don't say you're 'creative'.

Did i already mention to work on your type skills?

Thanks for the feedback.

We can't help the second one. But, we have ways to make sure people aren't double voting for the same reel.

Cheers,

Some feedback:

1. Seems like you can vote as many times as you want on the same reel.

2. You can vote without even watching the reel.

LOL You got to love that!

Seriously people, putting down you know houdini, maya, xsi, 3dmax, AE, Nuke, Fusion, Cinema 4D,

Toxic, (insert more here) makes you less credible. Not saying it's not possible but when your work

lacks polish and expertise you got to wonder. Put down what you really know!

Only Vimeo plus users get the benefit of embedding videos in HD.

1) You guys are doing vimeo a great promotion, perhaps too much? Give people an option to link their own Quicktime if they want to.

2) How about letting users who registered the option of actually deleting themselves?

Edited by yoni bendor

We are working on ways for the best work to rise to the top. Voting will have a big part in this. We will make sure that great reels are featured, but still have a way for lesser known people to be discovered. Stay tuned for more features.

Thanks for the feedback!

Nick

Nice idea, but I think that the cream of the crop is going to be overshadowed by a gigantic amount of average work that will be submitted.

Thanks for the feedback.

We can't help the second one. But, we have ways to make sure people aren't double voting for the same reel.

Cheers,

I figured it would be so for the second one but Vimeo doesn't allow you to read timecode through the API? Maybe make the "like" button disabled for 30 seconds or so then

enable it. At least people see some of it before they are able to vote.

I would assume you are you using an IP based system for the first since using cookies would allow the user to clear the cache and vote again.

Actually, it seems you may be able to fix the second one by using:

Functions

api_getCurrentTime():int
api_getDuration():int

Events

onProgress

Edited by ESC

I'm calling an official moratorium on :

The typeface "Bifurk"

Any tracks from Justice's 2007 debut "Cross"

Obvious tutorial recreations with a slight color shift

Kinetic type intonation pieces with type set horizontally + vertically, and then the camera cleverly transitions between them.

Any design inspired by the years 1980-1989

particles and lens flares (just kidding, then I'd have to take all the content out of my reel)

Maybe it's just kind of fatiguing to watch them lined up one after another? Feels a bit like speed dating.

c

EDIT: Also, didn't mean to sound overly snarky/jaded/condescending. Thanks Nick for your hustle in making this happen.

Edited by Colin@movecraft

I'm calling an official moratorium on :

• The typeface "Bifurk"

• Any tracks from Justice's 2007 debut "Cross"

• Obvious tutorial recreations with a slight color shift

• Kinetic type intonation pieces with type set horizontally + vertically, and then the camera cleverly transitions between them.

• Any design inspired by the years 1980-1989

• particles and lens flares (just kidding, then I'd have to take all the content out of my reel)

Maybe it's just kind of fatiguing to watch them lined up one after another? Feels a bit like speed dating.

c

EDIT: Also, didn't mean to sound overly snarky/jaded/condescending. Thanks Nick for your hustle in making this happen.

Amen haha. About the music.. I know its come up before but I don't know where to start cutting my first one. All I listen to is punk, ska, reggae, and a (small) bit of soul. Electronic music seems to make up 99% of reels but my work isn't particularly 'shiny' to warrant some amped up electro. It needs to fit something. Tough one. I saw a great one set to 'shout' I think last year, old songs can work and stand out but its tricky to make it work.

Maybe Pendulum could be cool, one of few bands with computers as an instrument I actually like.

Amen haha. About the music.. I know its come up before but I don't know where to start cutting my first one. All I listen to is punk, ska, reggae, and a (small) bit of soul. Electronic music seems to make up 99% of reels but my work isn't particularly 'shiny' to warrant some amped up electro. It needs to fit something. Tough one. I saw a great one set to 'shout' I think last year, old songs can work and stand out but its tricky to make it work.

Maybe Pendulum could be cool, one of few bands with computers as an instrument I actually like.

Correct me if I'm wrong (no doubt someone will anyway) but I reckon the reason electro gets used for 99% of the reels out there is that it's got an easy beat to cut to (and more importantly edit down to 1 minute) and lacks a vocal track. Anything instrumental should do you fine as long as it sits well with the work you've done.

Dan

I think I rambled a bit then and came across wrong, I have no problem with electronic music at all. I think I just meant I don't really listen to it so I dont know where to start with sourcing good electro that would fit my work. It would be like someone who only listens to hip hop finding a 'rock' song to fit with a badass truck commercial and ending up with Nickelback... or something. ha

Probably thinking too much into it

I think for people in the midst of cutting their reel it's pretty useful to check out to see how producers must view reels when they get a mountain of em in their inbox. I was amazed how quick I hit the next button.

love it nick, thanks for putting this up! it's fun, and simple, kind of like xplsv but without all the unnecessary data. keep goin on those filters plus top voted reels and this should be gold.

froj, in no way do you have to chose electronic for your reel. i've seen great reels set to funk, soul, jazz, rock etc. you just have to pick a good (somewhat conservative, meaning not something that will immediately get your reel nexted) track, and edit your stuff to it properly.

love it nick, thanks for putting this up! it's fun, and simple, kind of like xplsv but without all the unnecessary data. keep goin on those filters plus top voted reels and this should be gold.

froj, in no way do you have to chose electronic for your reel. i've seen great reels set to funk, soul, jazz, rock etc. you just have to pick a good (somewhat conservative, meaning not something that will immediately get your reel nexted) track, and edit your stuff to it properly.

All the music choice signifies is that you have some sort of sense of style. And often times, that's all you're trying to show with your reel.

c

when i watch reels on here i tend to watch the whole thing.. or close to it. but with this is pretty much hit next after 10-20 seconds. it does feel a bit like speed/internet dating. whats with people posting reels and saying "this is an old reel because we've been busy".. is that necessary?