Sign in to follow this  
Duder

H.264 problems

I forget where I found this but I use it often. It bumps the saturation back up and gets the whites looking like white again.

1. Open h.264 encoded quicktime

2. Ctrl + j (Cmd + J for mac)

3. Select 'Video Track'

4. In the Transparency dropdown at the lower left, select 'Blend' and push the slider to '100%'

5. In that same dropdown, select 'Straight Alpha'

6. Close the window and save quicktime, or 'save as' another file and open both up to see the differences between the two.

Hope this helps. Credit goes to, I think Video Copilot (not completely sure), for this work around.

Edited by oeuf

I've tried all the x264 workarounds, but none of them seem to work.

My H.264 encoded files through QuickTime 7 are not as sharp as the originals and is less saturated.

Isn't that what you should be expecting from compressing something? The whole act of compressing something means you're losing data... so of course its not going to be as sharp or as vibrant as the original.. h264 has a notorious gamma shift problem, but usually x264 fixes it... So i'm not sure what you're expecting here.

I forget where I found this but I use it often. It bumps the saturation back up and gets the whites looking like white again.

3. Select 'Video Track'

4. In the Transparency dropdown at the lower left, select 'Blend' and push the slider to '100%'

5. In that same dropdown, select 'Straight Alpha'

6. Close the window and save quicktime, or 'save as' another file and open both up to see the differences between the two.

Hope this helps. Credit goes to, I think Video Copilot (not completely sure), for this work around.

Just tried that, didn't help :(

Isn't that what you should be expecting from compressing something? The whole act of compressing something means you're losing data... so of course its not going to be as sharp or as vibrant as the original.. h264 has a notorious gamma shift problem, but usually x264 fixes it... So i'm not sure what you're expecting here.

Well, if you use a very high bitrate, the quality shouldn't really be that different. Something is wrong with QuickTime's H.264 codec.

I also work on PC's, so just for the hell of it I had the same 30 seconds converted to uncompressed AVI, then under Windows, converted it into Windows Media using the same bitrate. The colors came out perfect (very close to the original) and there wasn't as much blur as there was under the H.264 codec.

I don't know what to tell you then. I don't really have high expectations when compressing footage. So far h264 has been the best compressor for me out of the many I've used over the years. And when I do film dailies, we'll switch to x264 so we don't have to screw with the gamma issue.

For film dailies, I think that's fine. But once you add typography and other details, it gets lost.

Is compressor any different? Maybe I'll try it with that instead of using QuickTime 7 Pro.

can you show a screen shot comparison? I can't imagine type would come out bad with a little bit of compression, unless its like.. pixel size font or something.

You can try compressor, it has a lot of export codecs for tape likd DVCPRO HDV, etc. I hate it personally. Clunky user interface and usually not necessary. However i think you can set up a render farm with it. So i guess thats a bonus.

Are you colour managing withing AE (ie using a colour space?). I think everyone has the same problem but recently I stuck to one of the RGB colour spaces and colour was consistent through to QT7 playback with h264/x264. QTX on the other hand still sucked. I hate colours, I wish they would be the same on everything ha

Are you colour managing withing AE (ie using a colour space?). I think everyone has the same problem but recently I stuck to one of the RGB colour spaces and colour was consistent through to QT7 playback with h264/x264.

For web versions of stuff I've been rendering out animation or a Tiff sequence in sRGB out of AE, and then encoding that using x264 in QT7 on a MAC and getting really good color and gamma matches between my original project and the final encoded file. I tried all the h264 "solutions" and none of them worked reliably for me but using x264 seems to work all the time (except that it will only work with certain resolutions).

using x264 seems to work all the time (except that it will only work with certain resolutions).

What do you mean only certain resolutions? I've been able to have it work successfully at any resolution..

What do you mean only certain resolutions? I've been able to have it work successfully at any resolution..

I think the resolution has to be divisible by 4, or be even (something like that). For me it crashes on certain resolutions, it's usually only when I have weird sizes that are odd numbers. For all the common/standard resolutions it works no problem.

lol, I dont think i've ever heard of anyone being inspired to compress videos before...

AE is pretty good with conserving the color space if your output method is sound. Once you go into another app, the shift usually happens.

If you're using Compressor, make sure you have the preset you're using set to use output color space to native of the originating file/preserving source. (see attached)

vimeo_output_color-space.png

3. Select 'Video Track'

5. In that same dropdown, select 'Composition'

Fixed that for you. It's Composition not Straight Alpha. I was wondering why it had worked before for me but not when I followed these steps.

Fixed that for you. It's Composition not Straight Alpha. I was wondering why it had worked before for me but not when I followed these steps.

Interesting...I do not have a "composition" setting, but using straight alpha worked great for me!

Hmmm....

Jim

Interesting...I do not have a "composition" setting, but using straight alpha worked great for me!

Hmmm....

Jim

Huh. That's strange. And I do remember (in hindsight) some source saying to use Composition which works for me. Perhaps we're using different versions of QT? I'm running QT 7.6.6 on Leopard 10.5.8, if that is helpful to anyone.

Edited by jayfaker

lol, I dont think i've ever heard of anyone being inspired to compress videos before...

You got another here, trying everyday to find the best compression for my visuals.

The main thing is what is your final output/audience?Web,Broadcast,DVD,Projectors,what type of projectors ,what type of lux are you working with? is it gonna be played from a laptop,which software PowerPoint or Keynote presentation?

Bitrates,codecs,etc is a pretty interesting stuff to study about now with all different type of media steeping into the picture it get very complex specially when you are dealing with clients who usually use their PC with a Windows version with a simple Windows Media Player which is regularly the case.

I recommend giving it a try to wondershare video converter pro,

It solves me a lot of headaches i had in the past for previewing and delivering content.

Thanks,

Edgard

Edited by Edgard