Sign in to follow this  
RustyAce

iPhone 4g

I sure hope that's the case - and that they put the iPhone on a real network. You leave the interstate up here in North Dakota, and what little AT&T service you had goes bye-bye fast. Kinda the opposite of the present-but-overloaded problems everyone else seems to have.

We were mulling over the "found in a bar" thing here yesterday, and it seems a little suspicious to me.

Cf

well... I guess I'll eat my hat after the apple letter they got.

Well, that establishes that it's an Apple device of some sort, but whether or not it was an orchestrated event is still up for discussion :) After all, Apple is notoriously strict with prototype devices...

Cf

Guest Sao_Bento

Well, that establishes that it's an Apple device of some sort, but whether or not it was an orchestrated event is still up for discussion :) After all, Apple is notoriously strict with prototype devices...

Cf

If you read the follow-ups, you'll understand why there's really no possibility that it was an intentional situation.

The phone was found and he tried to give it back...I say doubtful. Even if the phone was "wiped out" remotely....the phone still had a sim card, that could have been used to receive/place calls or provide info. my 2c

This is probably the smartest free advertising campaign ever :)

PS: ...on a second thought, this s**t has gone to far

Edited by stoiqa

1. why did you sell your phone before the new one is even out?

2. that video is taking place in asia. engadget did a whole series on how replica phones are constructed in asia, notably china. so that's almost definitely a fake of some kind.

1. Got $500 for it. New one will be $300. Once the new one comes out, the market will be filled with used 3GS', so I get a head start. I did this with the 3G too.

2. Yep. But it looks exactly like the one that Gizmodo had. Looks legit. Apple reported the person that did the Gizmodo leak and the cops confiscated all of his electronic devices in his house, without him being present. So obviously the Gizmodo one is real. This one looks exactly like the one that Gizmodo had. This is exactly how it will look. Doubt any Chinese counterfeit ones would look this good.

Guest Sao_Bento

In fact, they're so good that the factory that used to make Louis Vuitton knock-offs now makes the real product for Louis Vuitton- same thing for many of the high fashion brands. They currently suck at innovating, but they're great at copying, which is exactly how Japan got it's start.

check this show out, you'll be surprised how realistic chinese knock-offs have become:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/28/the-engadget-show-inside-the-gadget-markets-of-china-part-two/

good idea re: beating the market on selling your phone, i only have one phone so won't be doing the same

Guest Sao_Bento

That's been well documented for quite some time now. Look at the calculator on an iPhone or iPod touch - who but Dieter Rams makes a chocolate colored calculator with an orange enter button? In the movie Objectified, Dieter Rams says he considers it an honor that Ives references him so much.

Looks like Jon Ive has been super influenced by Dieter Rams.

1. Got $500 for it. New one will be $300. Once the new one comes out, the market will be filled with used 3GS', so I get a head start. I did this with the 3G too.

Seems like a decent strategy... but what do you do about not having a phone between now and then?

-m

I have a few dumb phones, works fine.

I don't mind it, though. I'm always in front of a laptop, anyway. I could live without it for a month. Great phones, btw, even if they lack some features.

These phones become part of your every day life, so it's a bit hard to let go of it for a bit, but if you're strong enough, you can do it :D

Btw with the $200 I just bought a decent set of headphones...so a good trade off.

Edited by hyp3

In fact, they're so good that the factory that used to make Louis Vuitton knock-offs now makes the real product for Louis Vuitton- same thing for many of the high fashion brands. They currently suck at innovating, but they're great at copying, which is exactly how Japan got it's start.

They won't in 5-10 years. We seen the factors of production move from the US/Europe to Taiwan to China, with OEM manufacturers in Taiwan becoming Original Brand Manufacturers and Chinese factories becoming OEM. Now, innovation is starting to move to China too.

Out here in flyover country we have only nominal AT&T service; leave the interstate highway system and you're screwed. Thus the iPhone is a rarity in this area. Verizon's solid, but without a 4G network they're not a factor. A guy here in our shop moonlights for a Verizon affiliate, he said that we're actually one of the early areas to get 4G as they roll it out. Sadly, until there's sufficient nationwide Verizon 4G coverage I don't hold out any hopes for a Verizon iPhone (regardless of the Interweb rumor mill).

I just ordered a $20 battery to keep my original LG VX9900 "enV" going. The photos from the camera on this thing are AMAZING.

Cf

Has anyone personally tried the AT&T microcell? Supposedly gives you 5 bars at home via internet connection. It's BS that you need to pay for something like that when it should be provided as part of your plan but the iPhone is worth the crappy network coverage seems like. FYI it's now available in Los Angeles, at least for my zip code.

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/why/3gmicrocell/

http://jasonnash.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/review-of-the-att-3g-microcell/