Sign in to follow this  
froj

The Monkey's NAB presentation

http://www.cineversity.com/tutorials/lesson.asp?tid=1774

Not seen this posted anywhere on here yet and they seem to have fixed the slow loading from when it first got put up. Must watch.

Mike thanks for the presentation the layered up animation & time track stuff is really exciting! Inspiring stuff.

Cheers Matt

ps. Nick C's is up too: http://www.cineversity.com/tutorials/lesson.asp?tid=1775

edit* pps. I'm going to try and inject the phrase 'shifty mcgee' or variants into my future conversations wherever possible :)

Edited by froj

Thanks guys.

I had a great time at NAB and the response from people has been nothing but ultra-positve.

I missed a lot of details in that presentation because I was trying to pack as much shit in as possible.

I also tried to ride the fine line between making a presentation that was accessible to beginners and equally engaging for experts, which was not easy.

This is only the second time I've presented my work publicly, but I really enjoy doing so. Hopefully some spare time will present itself in the near future to dive even deeper into this rabbit hole and do some proper walkthroughs with the C4D community. I love sharing techniques and ideas with peers... especially those beyond the "trick" level when you actually begin to see an obstacle in a whole new light. They're rare but very rewarding.

-m

@froj

p.s. Nick C and I have discussed doing some more stuff collaboratively which I would very much enjoy. He's a really cool dude.

p.p.s The presentations I did on other days included some gems like "biz-buzz" and "flim-flammery". I find it helps to imagine yourself as a 70 year old man that has time traveled from the 1950's to 2010 and is asked to describe what he sees after watching 5 min's of commercials.

;)

Edited by the_Monkey

Weird to see that the_Monkey is a real guy, not some "Banksy" like enigma. I've always been crazy impressed with your research based approach, cool to see it live. I always enjoyed tearing apart the files posted by monkey (and everyone really) on this forum in the last 4 or 5 or so years and analyzing them. Thanks so much!

Now, back to work!

c

Great stuff. Love that you went beyond the software and a bit into the creative process and discussed why you tackled certain projects the way you did. Have used some of the ideas you discussed in the presentation on working with sound (and posted previously on mograph) and they have been really helpful.

Cheers!

Now, I just watch it back in slow motion with the sound off and stare at that dashing Monkey face.

One of my favourite threads on here was the breakdown of that awesome black and white piece in 08 you two did:

http://mograph.net/board/index.php?showtopic=17803&st=0 which goes into a ton of detail regarding what Mike spoke about at NAB

and my second favourite was when you guys posted a photo after it and some dude was taking the piss out of the monkey's 'gay' looking shirt or something and got shouted out of here by everyone haha, ridiculous.

I'm going to spend a week going through that thread again and trying to inject some sound into my animation now I have a chance of understanding it!

Edited by froj

and my second favourite was when you guys posted a photo after it and some dude was taking the piss out of the monkey's 'gay' looking shirt or something and got shouted out of here by everyone haha, ridiculous.

For the record it was my ghey shirt ;) Although I may point out I get more positive lady comments from it. I'd like to think of it more as a third world dictator look :) Me and AnthonyC had words in that thread for sure. We hugged and made up through PMs and I deleted my side of the thread.

For the record... that was Chris's gay looking shirt.

I spend all my money on hardware.

;)

-m

EDIT: Whoa... that was creepy.

Edited by the_Monkey

For the record it was my ghey shirt ;) Although I may point out I get more positive lady comments from it. I'd like to think of it more as a third world dictator look :) Me and AnthonyC had words in that thread for sure. We hugged and made up through PMs and I deleted my side of the thread.

Haha, very honest of you. Couldn't remember the details, I'm sure you looked dashing! ;)

edit* that was creepy indeed

Edited by froj

Great stuff, loved the flower bomb!

totally confused on how you made that 6 though. can't figure out how to use the step effector, and more importantly how you made the planes curve and then straighten out as they arrive in position.

any pointers? or maybe a scene file?

Cheers,

The Other Monkey =P

Excellent stuff Monkey, although some was a bit over my simpleton's head (I can't even get sound to play in C4D).

Funny how you build up a mental image of a person and when you see them it comes as a surprise.

Whew took about 5 hours to download luckily the presentation was worth it, great content & style ;)

I like the look of that weighted audio trick, I've been really struggling with output from the sound effector, to the point where I've jumped back to R9 just to use my closely guarded copy of Response (R.I.P., gone but not forgotten...) - this looks like it might help. I've been doing a fair amount of concert work and without fail the only audio available is the flat track, no separate drums etc so I've either had to key it entirely manually (beat by beat, long nights...) or do a combination baked Response and manual smoothing. If this method can help I'm all over it.

Loving the Echo Watches work so far, especially #2 with the rhino heads! The whole thing's looking crispy.

I like the look of that weighted audio trick, I've been really struggling with output from the sound effector, to the point where I've jumped back to R9 just to use my closely guarded copy of Response (R.I.P., gone but not forgotten...) - this looks like it might help. I've been doing a fair amount of concert work and without fail the only audio available is the flat track, no separate drums etc so I've either had to key it entirely manually (beat by beat, long nights...) or do a combination baked Response and manual smoothing. If this method can help I'm all over it.

I was waiting for someone to mention Response and you're the first, so aside from the two of us... it might be forgotten. ;)

I wanted to buy Response so bad but that was part of the coreaudiovisual plugin collapse wasn't it? After getting burned by them once I had no interest in putting my hand back in the fire. But I am still curious... how did like Response? and could it do anything SoundKeys couldn't? (BTW, I still use SoundKeys if I have to separate data from a single track).

The Maxon team was very cool and receptive to the endless suggestions I had to improve the workflow for working with sound, but I did get the sense that they have a stack 10 miles high from 100 other people. They may be able to build on top of the Sound Effector to add some advanced settings with better band pass and smoothing, but there's so much more room to grow than that. My guess is that this hole will have to be filled by a 3rd party plugin developer.

I really like getting the audio data back into timeline tracks. It enables you to really see everything that's going on (and get rid of what you don't like). In many ways all we need to take some bigger steps in the 3D/audio integration are some new timeline tools. That one "Progressive Tracks" script that Rick wrote for me was just the first step, IMO. For instance, I would love to be able to multiply a selected set of keyframes by a waveform in a single click (the same way you would select a slice of audio in a sound editor and get it to fade out by multiplying it by an exponential wave). It's possible to get such results through a convoluted system of mixing and baking, but it would be so handy to have a library of common one-click waveform modifiers.

On the back-burner is good MIDI integration. It's not impossible to do right now at all... the only problem I have is that it takes a week to coordinate all the files and conversion with the audio guys and to be viable for real world deadlines it needs to take more like 10 minutes.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

I wanted to buy Response so bad but that was part of the coreaudiovisual plugin collapse wasn't it? After getting burned by them once I had no interest in putting my hand back in the fire. But I am still curious... how did like Response? and could it do anything SoundKeys couldn't? (BTW, I still use SoundKeys if I have to separate data from a single track).

Yup Response was part of CoreAV's output, but the last thing darf did before calling it a day I think - it was sold solely by 3DAttack if I remember rightly. It might well have been darf's most rounded & complete piece of work, the rest were obviously great but this was a fitting finale...

Basically it's Soundkeys in Cinema, but I was purely using Cinema at the time so it was all new to me - the interface is immediately accessible and the output seems more usable. I don't want to launch a big griping session off the back of your (very cool) presentation, but here's the interface and how sexy is it? The eq display appeared right in the viewport when you selected the Response object. Basically I was disappointed with Mograph's sound tool because with Response/SoundKeys Maxon had was a near perfect template of how to build a visual tool for working with audio, which was ignored in favour of an inferior solution. It didn't offer much new I guess, just the right tool in the right place.

respite.jpg

The Maxon team was very cool and receptive to the endless suggestions I had to improve the workflow for working with sound, but I did get the sense that they have a stack 10 miles high from 100 other people. They may be able to build on top of the Sound Effector to add some advanced settings with better band pass and smoothing, but there's so much more room to grow than that. My guess is that this hole will have to be filled by a 3rd party plugin developer.

That's a shame, we'll see what happens I guess. There's not much history of 3rd party dudes moving on improving existing features, there's much more milage in introducing new toys than tweaking the ones we already have...

I really like getting the audio data back into timeline tracks.

Yup and the results speak for themselves :D As you say, sound data has the perfect mixture of rhythmic/organic content, so very hard to create manually and so useful as a base to build on, it's a perfect fit with Cinema's mograph emphasis.