Sign in to follow this  
froj

The Monkey's NAB presentation

Thanks for the links Monkey!

Now i finally see what the step effector does, it offsets keyframe animation =P

This'll be something i play with.

Cheers!

My mind is blown. Great presentation and super informative. Definitely going to dive in and play with some of those techniques!

Kudos on the new work too, there was a lot of stuff in there I hadn't seen. That new Ecko watch piece was really tight, would love to see the whole thing when it's done. Really loved the textures on the green/black watch. Was that Sketch and Toon or just normal materials?

Keep up the great work and looking forward to more.

Wow, great presentatio, very inspiring! Thanks for taking the time to share your some of your techniques and insight.

There must be a lot of people trying to watch it, Cineversity is at a crawl.

-Joe

There must be a lot of people trying to watch it, Cineversity is at a crawl.

yeah the streaming has been fairly unwatchable via embed, i did manage to make it through the monkey's a few days ago, but haven't been able to load Nick's.

I'm assuming Cineversity frowns on dl'ing these movies? It would definitely make it easier to set it and forget it as it were.

ETA: Cineversity is looking into bandwidth alternatives due to heavy traffic. Testament to a great product and users!

Edited by planetfour

Yikes. I had set aside some time today to check this out - didn't realize it was going to take the entire day just to load! Guess I'll be watching it tonight instead. Speaking of which, have they disabled the "Save Movie" feature? Please tell me I don't have to sit through this load every time I want to watch this (I'm assuming I won't grasp everything on first view)

They've thrown them up on livestream to view quickly

Here's the Monkey's: http://www.livestream.com/cineversity/video?clipId=flv_08e55ddd-f4b2-4de8-8b9e-131d859f8163 (link to Nicks underneath that vid). There are audio issues at the start but seems to be fine once he starts the presentation proper after his reel. Bit tricky to see whats going on in the UI though

I f*cking hate ads.

Beau+++

If you're loading the Cineversity page in Safari select the Beta Player and let the page load.

Hit "command-option-A" to get the activity.

Look for the slowly loading .mov file and double click on the URL.

That should open a new window with a direct link to the movie.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

I f*cking hate ads.

Beau+++

If you're loading the Cineversity page in Safari select the Beta Player and let the page load.

Hit "command-option-A" to get the activity.

-m

or you can add http://www.cineversity.com to the front of this /_downloads/tutorials/tutorial1774/NPOLFZ3RVJDLUJNFI375911GTNPW423201016.MOV

:) good to see some more of your work, some bad ass stuff Monkey

Edited by RustyAce

Fantastic presentation!

Who knew Ethan Hawke was a C4D guru?

Funny, I was thinking of a young Thomas Gibson the whole time.

Wonderful stuff, very impressive.

so the secret to smoothing out sound effector's harsh jitter is just to pull the weight slider down?

the time tracks also seem tricky to grasp at first but suuuper cool to be able to use. is that progressive time thing, is that just moving the keys by hand to match the peaks of the baked sound effector keys... how to get the sound effector to create the progressive keys didnt stick in my head

great talk though!!.

-m

Just make sure that counts for views so you can beat my 4600 ;)

so the secret to smoothing out sound effector's harsh jitter is just to pull the weight slider down?

the time tracks also seem tricky to grasp at first but suuuper cool to be able to use. is that progressive time thing, is that just moving the keys by hand to match the peaks of the baked sound effector keys... how to get the sound effector to create the progressive keys didnt stick in my head

great talk though!!.

I'm not simply pulling the weight slider down... I'm sampling the reduced weight of the sound effector and sending the result to a float slider UserData Field. You cannot access Time Tracks through Xpresso, so the workaround is to:

1) Sample the Sound Effector

2) Reroute the Weight to a UserData Field via Xpresso

3) Bake the UserData Field

4) Copy/Paste the result into a Time Track.

Copy/Pasting between different track types will only work when they're the same data type... which is the other reason I use float sliders (besides the fast visual feedback).

There are 2 scripts up at Cineversity attached to the presentation... Progressive Keys and Simplify Keys. The first automatically creates Progressive Track out of your baked Peak Tracks. The second script optimizes the waveform by removing all of the keys of the same sequential value.

-m

I made sure I beat you before I posted that tip. ;)

-m

Holy shit 4800 in like 3 days. Fucking record.

Okay, everybody go watch my cineversity vid and get mine above Monkey's again :)

I'm not simply pulling the weight slider down... I'm sampling the reduced weight of the sound effector and sending the result to a float slider UserData Field. -m

It works. It's nifty ;)

Here's a quickie baker I made for the bass/mid/treble values, if anyone can improve on the handling please feel free!

Anybody ever used VDMX?

http://www.vidvox.net/

Imagine taking data off of audio spectrum values but adding drag and drop modifiers to that data, then all data gets tagged with real time, non-destructive behavior chains. You can literally make the_monkey's additive or progressive value driver in a minute, using a drag and drop, re-arrangeable interface. I use it to drive video playback live to the beat. Imagine if this worked in cinema, with modifiers on the sound effector that added to each other and could be weighted non destructively.

Picture%205.png

Picture%204.png

Picture%202.png

Imagine no religion, too.

c

P.S. Ace work ChrisC!

Edited by Colin@movecraft

Ok this is a ridiculous question... first off Chris C that simple xpresso setup is awesome getting the values to the sliders, where the hell do I have to click to bake those to keyframes? Nowhere I click bake whether it's in the timeline etc. is converting anything and just copying from the user data in the object manager to the time track isn't doing anything either?

I know this is going to be annoying once someone points it out what I'm doing wrong

Ok this is a ridiculous question... first off Chris C that simple xpresso setup is awesome getting the values to the sliders, where the hell do I have to click to bake those to keyframes? Nowhere I click bake whether it's in the timeline etc. is converting anything and just copying from the user data in the object manager to the time track isn't doing anything either?

I know this is going to be annoying once someone points it out what I'm doing wrong

Hey froj, no probs it's my mistake - I meant to add that you need to set an initial keyframe at frame #0 for the sliders. Then if you bake from the timeline you get one key per frame per slider.

Hey froj, no probs it's my mistake - I meant to add that you need to set an initial keyframe at frame #0 for the sliders. Then if you bake from the timeline you get one key per frame per slider.

Ah! thanks a lot, I knew it would be something tiny. I'm so busy this week but I can't help but try some of this out! I'm currently loading the presentation again in a QT7 window from that download trick the monkey suggested, hopefully it can save to a .mov once it's finished loading.

*edit Saved the vid for reference, ace. Also thanks Chris that worked I now have a time track - the progressive keys script ran perfectly, will have a play about with getting something running with it later. I don't want to screw cineversity but if anyone needs a copy of the vid and really can't view it online send me a PM and I'll throw it in my dropbox, I know Mike's already shown a way to save it but don't want to cross the line.

Thanks Matt

Edited by froj

Awesome, got an animated cube time remapped using the time track sampling the bass frequencies! When not using audio separates is it just a case of experimenting to pick out the frequencies within the effector or is there a more precise way to pick them out? The visual waveform in cinema is pretty tiny.

For the record... that was Chris's gay looking shirt.

I spend all my money on hardware.

;)

-m

EDIT: Whoa... that was creepy.

umm and chicken suits

also totally got to get rick into python...he should be able to hack together a midi reader that generates keyframes based off notes.

Edited by tarzan_jesus

umm and chicken suits

also totally got to get rick into python...he should be able to hack together a midi reader that generates keyframes based off notes.

Whoa, whoa, whoa... what ever happened to "What happens in Vegas... stays in Vegas"?

BTW, great nickname... it suits you.

;)

-m