Sign in to follow this  
froj

The Monkey's NAB presentation

Whoa, whoa, whoa... what ever happened to "What happens in Vegas... stays in Vegas"?

BTW, great nickname... it suits you.

;)

-m

haha I never said anything about vegas ;)

the nick was given to me by a drag queen when I was visiting NYC...go figure :D

Hey, What a great and informative presentation Monkey, I'm still going over parts to get my head around some of the stuff you said. And thanks for that baker ChrisC.

C.Smith do you still have those scene files that show your camera moves for the SonyAnimatic you guys did? all the links are broken in your old thread.

I'm getting lots of info looking through old threads on here haha.

Cheers.

Ah! thanks a lot, I knew it would be something tiny. I'm so busy this week but I can't help but try some of this out! I'm currently loading the presentation again in a QT7 window from that download trick the monkey suggested, hopefully it can save to a .mov once it's finished loading.

*edit Saved the vid for reference, ace. Also thanks Chris that worked I now have a time track - the progressive keys script ran perfectly, will have a play about with getting something running with it later. I don't want to screw cineversity but if anyone needs a copy of the vid and really can't view it online send me a PM and I'll throw it in my dropbox, I know Mike's already shown a way to save it but don't want to cross the line.

Thanks Matt

Monkey that is some awesome stuff - really clever. I have been learning cinema for the last 6 months and have a couple questions that I think should have really straightforward answers...so bear with me and any help is greatly appreciated!

- I have a simple audio track that I used with Chris C's awesome sound baker file - I was able to extract the key frame data from each of the 3 frequency ranges.

- that data is the straight key frame data, and i was able to run both scripts successfully and now have a nice looking simplified and progressive wave form made up of key frames

- My question is, now that I have clean and smooth looking progressive key frame data.... how do i turn that into a time track that I can link up with other existing animation? Whatever I have at this point, I cannot drag it into other animated elements in the f curve "time tracks" as the Mike was doing in his NAB presentation

- my impression is that there is one more step i need to take after I have extracted the key frame data based on the treble bass and midrange - basically, what are the steps I need to take in order to use this key frame data to influence my existing animation? OR to animate parameters that are not yet animated...

Any advice? Does that make sense? thanks all!

In your timeline just right click a new null or something and create a 'special track' > 'time track' then just select all your keyframes and copy and paste those babies in there. You can then drag the time track wherever you like onto other animation tracks like the monkey does in the presentation. I'm dying to try this out in a project properly and get stuck into it but not had time the last few weeks

I have a simple audio track that I used with Chris C's awesome sound baker file - I was able to extract the key frame data from each of the 3 frequency ranges

Y'hear that Mr Monkey? You make the discovery and do the presentation, and I'm the awesome one for linking up a couple of nodes in an Xpresso file. I bet that smarts... :P C4DChris (nice name...) - you need to copy & paste the keyframes from each baked track into a time track, you can't drag those puppies. You may need to go to the Edit menu in the timeline rather than just Cmd-C/Cmd-V for copy/paste, or you might be copying the object instead.

Y'hear that Mr Monkey? You make the discovery and do the presentation, and I'm the awesome one for linking up a couple of nodes in an Xpresso file. I bet that smarts... :P

;)

That's ok.

Nobody has reached the problem of time remapping a MoGraph Cache tag yet*.

That one stumped me for a while so we've got plenty of challenges left to keep people interested.

-m

* they don't have time tracks.

Edited by the_Monkey

Nobody has reached the problem of time remapping a MoGraph Cache tag yet*.

That one stumped me for a while so we've got plenty of challenges left to keep people interested.

* they don't have time tracks.

ye, Xref is what I would guess.

An Xref Object has a setting named Scene Time, which allows you to animate the timeline of the Xreferenced scene.

Adding a time track to the Scene time on the timeline ?

Am I on the right track here ?

btw, Monkey : loved your presentation, and the old posts on animating on sound.

Thanks a million for the inspiration.

About the plenty of challenges left to keep people interested; looking forward to them all.

cheers,

douwe

Hmmm, perhaps this might have something to do with it...?

bakedMogOffset.jpg

Yes... something to do with that. It just requires a little bit more elaborate Xpresso because you have to calculate the deviation of your sound influenced time curve against a linear one to get... the Offset.

Via Xref. (Or expressions)

Expressions, yes... Xrefs, no.

Xrefs honor Time Remapping, but I have never been able to get a MoGraph Cache in an Xref to honor Time Remapping.

If you or anybody knows of a way to to make that happen it would solve a lot more than one of my problems. ;)

-m

hey guys,

I would love to see how you calculate the deviation of your sound influenced time curve against a linear one to get... the Offset, Monkey.

If you have that Xpresso in a preset you probably have a faster solution than what I've come up with.

I've been messing around with Xrefs to time remap a Cloner with Modynamics for a couple hours.

Yep, Xrefs honor Time Remapping, and you can use Scene Time to do so.

Works just fine with keyframed animation in the Xref scene, but as you said, not with the Mograph Cache Tag.

Now if you can bake the MoGraph motion to keyframes instead of using the Cache Tag, you can achieve the same result.

And that's exactly what I've seen Matthias Zabiegly do some time ago on cgtalk :

There is a workaround to bake MoGraph (including dynamics):

- duplicate your Cloner / Fracture Object

- hit "C" to convert the Cloner to single objects

- put a XPresso Tag on the converted Cloner which attaches every "physical" copy of your objects to its cloned counterpart (screenshot of XPresso attached)

- set the priority of the XPresso Tag to "Generator 499"

- be sure you have the converted Cloner selected in ObjectManager (the Null that contains all your "physical" copies)

- go to Character - Cappucino

- select "Rewind Time", "Position", "Rotation" and "Hierarchy"

- hit "Start Realtime"

- Click and hold anywhere in your editor view until the animation has run through once

You've got your baked to keyframes MoGraph. If you save the XPresso as a preset it's not that hard or lengthy to do at all. Actually it's something of a 30sec job to bake your MoGraph if you've got the XPresso ready to go.

This is the Xpresso :

The same technique is used in this tutorial on JAG4D

Maybe this is old news to you, and possibly the Xpresso way gets you there faster.

but at least there's a way to time remap Mograph animation using Xrefs.

hope this is useful to somebody,

cheers,

douwe

EDIT :

LOL, now that I read this post again, using Xrefs isn't even necessary, you could just as well do this in the original scene, and time remap the converted cloner, which makes the process even faster.

I was so focused on finding a way to do this with Xrefs, that I didn't even notice that I came up with a solution that doesn't require Xrefs.

Using Xrefs makes it a bit cleaner though, and easier to edit or redo the mograph.

Edited by douwe

.. but I have never been able to get a MoGraph Cache in an Xref to honor Time Remapping.

If you or anybody knows of a way to to make that happen it would solve a lot more than one of my problems. ;)

-m

_m, do you mean you have a solution or do you need one?

As for time remapping a MoGraph CasheTag, see if

MoTimer_v1 R11.5 only is of any help.

Cheers

Lennart

When I said "a little bit more elaborate Xpresso" I was referring to average men... not people like Lennart who seem to have the immortal power to fart rainbow C.O.F.F.E.E solutions. ;)

Thanks!

I did already have an Xpresso solution, but I always love coffee since it's so much faster. The only difference was that I forced myself to use the Bake Sequence values to keep track of what had actually been baked. Everything was fine in the beginning when I was always starting from frame zero and never changed my document length, but when I started baking several objects and moved to different sections of the animation I began to lose track. The motivation behind wanting things to work in Xrefs as apposed to Expressions was to be able to work on modular little chunks of animation from frame zero. The Inheritance Effector is nearly impossible to use unless you start everything from zero (but to be fair... the manual boldly warns the user of that in advance).

Here was my solution... I won't mention how long it took me to realize I needed to use FloatMath nodes. I always use Formula nodes and just assumed they calculated in floating point. Alas, I have some early animations that would prove otherwise.

MoGraph_ReMap.png

MoGraphCache_ReMap.zip

But while we're here... are these the only two values I'd need to change in your script to get this to work with a Point Cache as well?

var mocashetag = GetFirstTag(op,1019337);

[...]

mocashetag#MGCACHETAG_OFFSET = cashetime;

@Douwe

I am aware of the Clones->PSR workflow, but it's a little more work than it's worth on something like this I think. IMO, the Caches should obey the the time space of their immediate document not the parent... otherwise Xrefs become usable for nothing but models and simple PSR animation. I was kind of hoping I was wrong about that, so I really appreciate you taking the time to double check it. Thanks.

:)

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

Hello - this presentation was really something - very inspirational, awesome work Mike!

Was just wondering one thing and please excuse me if this is a very simple operation, but how do I apply the progressive keys script to my baked user data - I tried putting a coffee tag on the null & loading & running the script but no joy.

Any ideas for a newbie? :)

If anyone is looking for stems of awesome songs for audio data to drive all this, most of the guys over at lovetech.SF I think would be happy to provide them. I have stems for Moldover and Nonagaon. PM me. When I have a bit of time I'm going to do a moldover mix kit with the stems to his single, hopefully using a few of the techniques here.

c

how do I apply the progressive keys script to my baked user data - I tried putting a coffee tag on the null & loading & running the script but no joy.

I probably need to do a tutorial on that but was lazy and just attached the script to Mike's presentation. You need to load the CSC file into the Script Editor using the Import command. Then select the OBJECT containing the baked tracks in the OBJECT MANAGER, and run the script using the Script Manager Execute button or the User Scripts submenu of the Plugins menu. It works on all tracks of the selected object at once. Unfortunately due to SDK limitations I can't make it work on specific selected tracks.

Hope that helps.

wow,

this thread is turning into pure gold.

learning so much here.

so many possibilities opening up.

plenty of challenges left to keep people interested

You got my full attention.

mrneue : select the null holding your time track in the Objects Manager, open the Script Manager, import the CSC and execute it.

cheers,

douwe

Hey

Thanks to the monkey, what an informative and exciting look into some of the more exciting abilities of c4d.

There was mention that you might do a tutorial exploring the scripts on cineversity? I would love to have some greater insight into the technique as I am currently a bit lost.

Many Thanks,

Nathan

_m, do you mean you have a solution or do you need one?

As for time remapping a MoGraph CasheTag, see if

MoTimer_v1 R11.5 only is of any help.

Cheers

Lennart

Hi Lennart,

MoTimer is awesome... thank you so much for posting this!

I used it in my final project for my motion graphics class... at about 1:12 when the crystals explode.

http://vimeo.com/12221844

thanks again!

Kevin