Sign in to follow this  
froj

The Monkey's NAB presentation

Hey Guys!

How did the_Monkey get the letters of RAW / UNCUT to step gap in their specific linear order? when I try using the inheritance effector with any group of objects (extruded text splines in a fracture obj, or even just cubes) as soon as I use step gap, the objects do inherit the movement they are supposed to, but it's random / semi random.

example: if I have a 5 letter word, the letters will step in this order: first and last, second and fourth, then lastly the middle letter.

:scratch_chin:

Edited by james crispy

Hey Guys!

How did the_Monkey get the letters of RAW / UNCUT to step gap in their specific linear order? when I try using the inheritance effector with any group of objects (extruded text splines in a fracture obj, or even just cubes) as soon as I use step gap, the objects do inherit the movement they are supposed to, but it's random / semi random.

example: if I have a 5 letter word, the letters will step in this order: first and last, second and fourth, then lastly the middle letter.

:scratch_chin:

If you're using a fracture object it will use the order of the objects in the hierarchy.

I broke the letters apart and then added nulls in between them to create rests (the "•••"'s) in the animation.

Check the Object Manager.

Ecko10_s01.png

I have a more basic walkthrough of the Inheritance Effector in my 2010 Siggraph presentation, which should be up on Cineversity soon enough.

-m

Edited by the_Monkey

Thanks a lot Monk! :)

The problem was that I either had the text all as one spline or nested inside a null. That makes the letters go random.

So now, trying your technique of using a null as a rest, it actually stops the following letters from moving. Also, I have to keep the animation tab at To(in) otherwise the letters will follow directly over the cube. I noticed in your NAB presentation you had it set to From(out) but the RAW / UNCUT retains it coordinates?? I'm guessing there is a setting I'm missing....

capturezzz.png

Hello guys and greetings from Finland :)

Before my question I have to say thanks to The Monkey for the inspirational NAB presentation. You really rattled my cage with that one.

My problem is that I don't understand how to bake the user data from the sound effector. I got my Xpresso setup in order, I can see the the user data reacting to the music but I have no idea how I'm gonna get the user data baked so I could get the keyframes into my timeline. I'm sure its pretty easy, but I'm completely lost here.

Could you please help a newbie out so I can get my head around this problem.

Thank you very much.

-Juuso

Tearing my hair out over this one!! Have got to the final stage with a progressive time track setup controlling the x-position of a cube. Problem is the steps it animates in are massive, then it simply stops. I'm assuming the values that are output from the time track are too high, is there a way to control them so they are smaller. Have tried pulling the weight down on the sound effector but that doesn't seem to work. Am i right in assuming the parameter that you want to effect needs to have animation on it already, have set up the cube moving over a short distance with two key frames, maybe this is wrong? Any help greatly appreciated, mind melted at the mo!!! cheers from Dublin!! :D

ps. how the hell do you attach scene files, don't see an attachment option anywhere!!

file:///Users/hugojohnson/Desktop/progressive%20keys/progressive%20keys_help.c4d.zip

Didn't you guys present at Siggraph? When do we get to see that?

Rick is working on getting them prepped. Hopefully soon. I believe he said he was going to release them one at a time since the NAB postings almost wrecked the site with the hit of traffic.

Tearing my hair out over this one!! Have got to the final stage with a progressive time track setup controlling the x-position of a cube. Problem is the steps it animates in are massive, then it simply stops. I'm assuming the values that are output from the time track are too high, is there a way to control them so they are smaller. Have tried pulling the weight down on the sound effector but that doesn't seem to work. Am i right in assuming the parameter that you want to effect needs to have animation on it already, have set up the cube moving over a short distance with two key frames, maybe this is wrong? Any help greatly appreciated, mind melted at the mo!!! cheers from Dublin!! :D

ps. how the hell do you attach scene files, don't see an attachment option anywhere!!

file:///Users/hugojohnson/Desktop/progressive%20keys/progressive%20keys_help.c4d.zip

Think i have an idea what to do. After reading up on the time track it states that "Value sbelow 0% or above 100% are not usable since there is simply no animation defined for this range." I presume to get my time track keys to work i must scale then down to under 100, can anyone tell what is the best method to achieve this, is there a way to select all and scale for keyframes, have tried but can't figure it out, must be a simply answer!! cheers

Think i have an idea what to do. After reading up on the time track it states that "Value sbelow 0% or above 100% are not usable since there is simply no animation defined for this range." I presume to get my time track keys to work i must scale then down to under 100, can anyone tell what is the best method to achieve this, is there a way to select all and scale for keyframes, have tried but can't figure it out, must be a simply answer!! cheers

Have just tried f-curve scale at 5%, brings the value on the timeline down or so it seems but the animation still acts exactly the same?? anyone?

Have just tried f-curve scale at 5%, brings the value on the timeline down or so it seems but the animation still acts exactly the same?? anyone?

If you switch to fcruves you'll notice your time track is bound on the top and bottom by two dotted lines.

Drag the top one down to 100%.

:)

-m

Hi again guys!

I found a bake-button and it certainly baked something, but still no keyframes on the timeline. I would be happy to read more on this subject, if you could point me in the right direction. I just wanna get this problem solved.

Thanks,

-Juuso

Hey Jzo - to include an expression when you're baking, you need to make an initial keyframe at frame #0. Then when you hit bake the slider values will gain a keyframe for each frame of your project. Feel free to use this quickie baker to get you started.

Edited by ChrisC

thanks for all this info guys! :lol:

I've now got all the progressive keys stuff working great. A question tho:

Once I have a time track with progressive keyframes on it and I want to offset the linear holds to create that small movement between the peaks (like in the walkcycle example from the NAB presentation) how do you select every Nth keyframe with out doing it by hand? I noticed that the Monkey has them already selected when he bumps them up (seemingly automatically)?

I know the guy is a mage and all but is this possible for the regulars?

Hey Jzo - to include an expression when you're baking, you need to make an initial keyframe at frame #0. Then when you hit bake the slider values will gain a keyframe for each frame of your project. Feel free to use this quickie baker to get you started.

Heureka!

Now im getting somewhere with this! Thank you very much Chris! I'll post some animation for you guys, as soon as Im happy with my results :)

-Juuso

thanks for all this info guys! :lol:

I've now got all the progressive keys stuff working great. A question tho:

Once I have a time track with progressive keyframes on it and I want to offset the linear holds to create that small movement between the peaks (like in the walkcycle example from the NAB presentation) how do you select every Nth keyframe with out doing it by hand? I noticed that the Monkey has them already selected when he bumps them up (seemingly automatically)?

I know the guy is a mage and all but is this possible for the regulars?

he selected them by hand...no magic...sometimes even monkeys have to do work.

hey guys,

I got pretty far with this but how do you get the keyframes added to a time track? I can bake them and they will end up on a copy track or its own. Which seems to be of no use as the time tracks will only accept time curves (tracks) and not regular tracks.

Any suggestions would be sweet as I have figured it all out up till this point.

D

Animatrix,

you could use deformers for this. So if you have your letters inside a fracture object you could throw a Taper deformer in there as well and deform your text. Altho you will probably be spending alot of time trying yo get it to look right with the various deformers and the deformer may act like a 'Rest'. I dont think you will get the best results with this anyways.

I think the simplest thing and best thing to do, would be to make your text mods in Illustrator to get it the way you want or you could always tweek the vertices of the spline in C4D to get the desired effect.

Checks,

D

Edited by oldmanboy

I got pretty far with this but how do you get the keyframes added to a time track? I can bake them and they will end up on a copy track or its own. Which seems to be of no use as the time tracks will only accept time curves (tracks) and not regular tracks.

I believe this was answered above, but simply copy/paste your keys from your baked track to your time track.

-m

I believe this was answered above, but simply copy/paste your keys from your baked track to your time track.

-m

Unbelievable! I get this far by myself and then a simple copy/paste throws me. Really? man... Anyways thanks a lot dood.

D

Edited by oldmanboy

I just stumbled onto this amazing info! Thanks to everyone for this, especially Monkey, amazing stuff!

EDIT: I called Maxon, and the scripts have now been updated for R12.

Edited by ibgoinaj