Sign in to follow this  
dotcommer

New Macbook Pros and Mograph Work.

Holdin' off a bit before I splurge on a new macbook pro. Been waiting quite a while for apple to introduce the core i5/i7's into the laptops. I'm sure SOMEBODY has already grabbed one and started doing their work on it, so I want to know what you think of it. Specifically here's what I'm looking for:

- The new macbook pros have the dynamic gpu switching under the hood. Supposedly it recognizes more demanding programs and swaps the video cards accordingly and overclocks the cores. Has anyone tried rendering out some intensive stuff in AE and found the laptop preforming really awesomely towards the render?

- Any nuke users out there? Experienced any problems with the laptop and nuke?

- Any photoshop users experience any pickups in speed when working in photoshop, flash, etc.? How about any Adobe software in general.

- Big one here: I like to leave my laptop going for looong periods of time which kills the battery in my current Macbook (pre unibody) because the constant current being fed in and no power cycling damages the batteries. Anyone do this as well? Have your batteries lived up to apple's supposed improvements to battery management in the new macbooks?

Hoping someone out there has some of these answers. Colin@movecraft if you stumble upon this let me know since you just got one yourself. Looking forward to any helpful insight.

The new macbook pros have the dynamic gpu switching under the hood. Supposedly it recognizes more demanding programs and swaps the video cards accordingly and overclocks the cores.

Hey dotcommer, there's some decent benchmarks & comments here here. Don't be put off by the over-performing iMac, that doesn't stop these laptops being perfectly workable for 3D/AE work.

Mind you, the emphasis of your points above is a bit off. What you should say is that it disables the decent graphics card and runs on poky embedded graphics unless the app specifically needs it. The Turbo-Boost overclocking bit is useful for short bursts of high-performance when the system is running quiet and cool, but it doesn't mean you'll get sustained higher performance especially in an app like AE, which is probably going to tax your system consistently highly.

But MacBookPros have always been decent work horses (or ponies, at least), I'm sure this will be no exception.

I just picked one up myself and did some fairly intensive HD AE work on it. In terms of performance, it's roughly on par with my first generation macpro. Also did some light C4D stuff. I can't comment on any of the graphics switching stuff, but it worked quite well for everything I threw at it. Besides, if all your software is mac and you're looking for a laptop, what choice do you really have?

I've got the i7 17 inch. It's not some astronomically different experience then using any other mac laptop. I noticed it feeling speedier then my old one, and the display is markedly improved if you are used to the old one. Like all mograph work, if you are going to render overnight or do hundreds of hours of keyframing or expressions, you are best to get a workstation. If you want to design stuff at the coffee shop, get a laptop. I'd be surprised if most of us didn't already have both. I am curious to see how many layers of live video I can get running at once with multiple effects chains in VDMX. I'm also curious to see the speed bump in AE CS5 with an all 64 bit system.

But, I usually try not to bother myself too much with specs. It's easy to get wrapped up in that stuff when you could be designing and animating. My general rule is that I have to budget 3000 dollars a year on something computer related to stay current, this year it's a laptop, last year was a camera, year before that, software... etc etc etc..

Edited by Colin@movecraft

ut, I usually try not to bother myself too much with specs. It's easy to get wrapped up in that stuff when you could be designing and animating.

your reply is generally lacking in tech-angst and religious fervor. Please try to step it up next time.

I'm in the market for a Mac Pro right now, figured with CS5 rolling out, it's hard to justify working my '07 Macbook Pro 17" into the ground. (That thing could double as a Foreman Grill with some of my renders I'm pumpin out of it)

Any consensus on the bare minimum specs a Mac Pro should have to take good advantage of the new CS5? Seems like the Quad core 2.6ghz Mac Pros are plentiful on eBay, but Im hesitant to buy anything under 3ghz.

Love the 15" Matte display with 1680x1050 resolution.

Will wait until i7 Quad Cores come into the MBPs.

Holdin' out for the quad cores huh? Might be a while I'm thinking.

PC's already have it.

I'm pretty happy with my late 2008 Unibody C2D 2.66Ghz, though it's giving me problems (Currently at Genius Bar.)

It does crap out during heavy usage, though.